Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to those who posted additional information on the Walmart situation, I found myself eating some crow late last night. I still have concerns about customer communication in general; otherwise, I probably would not have been so touchy about Walmart's lawsuit. But I feel reassured that Tesla has most likely made good faith efforts with Walmart. It doesn't look good on Walmart to try to weasel out of 240+ contracts just because the terms may not be to their liking. I seem to have been expecting too much of Walmart as a major, visible corporation.

So, last night, I put in a limit order at $219 to re-buy three fourths of what I had previously sold at $219.9. It executed early this morning. I then put in another limit order for the rest. We'll see what happens. As long as the price doesn't run away, it's easy to undo stock trades, particularly if they're done inside an IRA!

The "care bear" comments are uncalled for, by the way. How useful is a stock discussion thread if only positive sentiment can be shared? Whenever I share an opinion here, negative or positive, it's essentially an invitation for others to change my mind. It's important to distinguish between posters who are legitimately interested in Tesla versus those who are truly trolling. Too often on TMC (and likely many forums), legitimate posters are accused of being trolls.

Why would Elon want to sell to a company known for cheating to pollute even more?

On a personal level I'll never consider a VW Model X for my next car.

Somehow, VW would end up putting a Diesel in the model X, and use cheating devices to make it seem to pollute less.

The "care bear" comments are uncalled for, by the way.

I'd suggest to just ignore those comments: people are understandably touchy about it - and I think the mods are doing a good job keeping genuine trolls out.

How useful is a stock discussion thread if only positive sentiment can be shared?

Agreed.

Volkswagen spokesman Pietro Zollino denied the report to CNBC, saying in a statement, “It’s completely unfounded. It’s pure speculation.”

Note that that's not exactly a denial either. It might be pure speculation and still be true.

Manager Magazin had high level VW leaks in the past too, such as these details about VW's internal targets and costs:

I have the impression that this leak was a trial balloon by VW top management - in part to pressure Elon, in part to sound out the opinion of the big Volkswagen shareholders.

Last edited:
Some food for thought:
teslas stock price is lower now than it was 5 years ago. Before a single model 3 existed, before the Y,roadster,pickup announcement, before the autonomy investor day, before announcement of GF3. Before the development of HW3. before a roadster got shot into freaking SPACE. Before the true specs of the taycan, or e-tron or VWs ID were known (and disappointed).

The gap between the true valuation of this company and the current SP is phenomenal.

Last edited:
Somehow, VW would end up putting a Diesel in the model X, and use cheating devices to make it seem to pollute less.

I still have concerns that Bjørn's Mercedes EQC issue isn't just "a defect", but deliberate cheat software to make the car look like it has longer range and greater efficiency than it does.

Could just be a bug. But I wouldn't at all put it past Mercedes.

I seem to have been expecting too much of Walmart as a major, visible corporation.
I made this mistake too! The Tesla lawyer's letter contains far more specifics than the Walmart lawsuit, which looks vague by comparison - I personally found the Tesla response far more convincing, in large part due to being much more specific in citing dates and timelines. I really wasn't expecting that Tesla would have such a convincing response when I first read the Walmart lawsuit.

Some food for thought:
teslas stock price is lower now than it was 5 years ago. Before a single model 3 existed, before the Y,roadster,pickup announcement, before the autonomy investor day, before announcement of GF3. Before the development of HW3. before a roadster got shot into freaking SPACE. Before the true specs of the taycan, or e-tron or VMs ID were known (and disappointed).

The gap between the true valuation of this company and the current SP is phenomenal.

Skewing the facts, no?
You forgot to mention that there are now about 45% more shares since 5 years ago.

Some food for thought:
teslas stock price is lower now than it was 5 years ago.

People put too much emphasis on what the share price is at any given point in time. That's just what someone is willing to pay you for it at that point in time. You list FSD hardware V3.0 as a positive but that was only necessary because FSD was a more difficult problem than any of the major players predicted. 5 years ago people thought Tesla had a way to use robots to stamp out cars like pennies coming out of a minting machine. The reality is not so easy. I agree with you that buying TSLA shares at current prices will likely turn out to be a very good thing. But nothing is guaranteed in this world.

The current "true" valuation is that at which it's trading at currently. I'm betting the future "true" valuation (meaning future trading price) will be much higher.

If VW is prepared to offer my price of $4000 I will go along too. Well okay, a discount to $3000 is acceptable because it saves me 10 years of FUD headaches.
Perhaps a tad short-sighted, Sir Fred? :D

Tesla is moving into a $15T/yr market, while demand for VW's core competency (ICE technology) is a shrinking legacy market. VW is years (perhaps 7 yrs) behind in EV competency, and their future cost curves are inferior to Tesla (moats are lame; its the pace that kills).

VW has to convince their ownership (the Porsche/Pièche family) that their 90 year ICE legacy is in vain. Meanwhile, Tesla LEADS the future on battery storage, the critical technology for the next decade. VW has no stomach for disrupting the Utility industry, though that's half of Tesla's upside during the 2020s. VW would miss ALL of that upside.

TL;dr VW is losing time, and falling further behind.

Last edited: