Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be counterproductive:
  • It would needlessly drive up the price of the stock, making any 'real' agreement more expensive to VW.
  • Should the bigger deal fall through how could the Germans and Wall Street continue to pretend that Tesla is worthless? ;)
So I believe Volkswagen's game plan here is to leak this, wait a few days and ask Elon again, and if he refuses then issue a carefully worded denial that isn't exactly a lie - like they did last summer.

Tesla not selling to VW in 200-250 range - so as long they buy up to 350 they would get shares better than any buyout price offered.
+ Also maybe the recent Saxony GF might be making Germany less biased and German car companies panic at the same time.

I've now read the full article, it begins as a hit piece against Tesla and Elon Musk that requires no repetition (German competition coming any time soon, Tesla in trouble and overvalued, yadda, yadda.), but the key section is a leak from top Volkswagen management, which is reported in the final part of the article. I believe this is what TSLA reacted to:

[quote from the German original]:

"Als größter Tesla-Fan der Autoszene gilt indes Volkswagen-Chef Herbert Diess. Zweimal im Jahr trifft er sich mit Elon Musk, schwärmt seinen Topingenieuren immer wieder vor, was Tesla und andere im Silicon Valley können – und VW noch nicht."

"Vor einem Jahr schon wollte sich der Volkswagen-Chef an Googles Autotochter Waymo beteiligen, sich so die fehlende Expertise für autonomes Fahren sichern. Das war zu teuer. Es blieb nur die kleine Lösung: eine Partnerschaft mit Ford."

"Der Traum Tesla glühe noch in Diess, heißt es an der Konzernspitze. Er glaube, dass Volkswagen von Teslas Batterie- und vor allem Softwarekompetenz profitieren könne. "Er würde sofort einsteigen, wenn er könnte", sagt einer seiner Topleute. Das Geld sei auch da, für den Anfang reiche ja eine Beteiligung. Schwieriger sei es da schon mit der Zustimmung der Großaktionäre, der Familien Porsche und Piëch."

"Aber kann sich irgendjemand Elon Musk als einen Mann vorstellen, der nach Wolfsburg berichtet? Bislang lehnt er jedes Ansinnen ab, über etwaige Kooperationen nachzudenken. Aber wenn jemand den Tesla-Gründer überzeugen und mit ihm zurechtkommen könne, sagt ein VW-Mann, "dann Herbert Diess". Zumal wenn Musk kaum noch etwas anderes übrig bleibt, um sein Werk zu retten."
[Translation (Google Translate with a few corrections and annotations from me):]

The biggest Tesla fan in the car industry is Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess. Twice a year, he meets Elon Musk and keeps reminding his top engineers what Tesla and others in Silicon Valley can do - and VW does not.

A year ago, the Volkswagen CEO wanted to participate in Google's car subsidiary Waymo, thus addressing [VW's] lack of expertise for autonomous driving. That was too expensive. There was only the lesser solution: a partnership with Ford.

The Tesla dream still glows in Diess, according to our sources in top VW management. He believes Volkswagen could benefit from Tesla's battery and software expertise. "[VW CEO Herbert Diess] would immediately [invest in Tesla] if he could," says one of his top people. The money is there too, initially a [minority] stake in Tesla would be enough. It would be more difficult to gain the approval of the largest [VW] shareholders, the Porsche and Piëch families.

But can anyone imagine Elon Musk as a man reporting to Wolfsburg? So far, [Elon] rejects any request to think about any cooperation [with Volkswagen]. But if someone can convince the Tesla founder and get along with him, says a VW man, "then Herbert Diess". Especially when Musk has little else left to save his work.​

The takeaway:
  • Manager Magazin has been the recipient of top level VW leaks before, I do think their claims here are credible.
  • Remember the story from last summer, about VW's participation in the going-private transaction at $420? Apparently it was true, although the VW CFO denied the rumors at that time.
  • Last year VW wanted to invest in Waymo, but found the price too expensive, and the agreement with Ford was Plan B.
  • VW's CEO still wants to acquire a stake in Tesla, but Elon doesn't want their participation.
My speculation: I believe VW management leaked VW's interest in Tesla to Manager Magazin to pressure Elon into allowing a VW investment. Hostile takeover without Elon's blessing probably wouldn't work with Elon the largest shareholder.

Apparently, streetinsider cannot afford the subscription and copied the text above :p
Rumor going around VW could takeover Tesla (TSLA)

Rob had a great interview with @jesselivenomore on after the latter’s big post series on short manipulation. He also had @DaveT on at one point.
IIRC, he worked with Galileo Russell to help get Gali on the Q1 ‘18 earnings call, and we all know how that went down.
He’s generally spot-on in his analysis of financials (and he admitted when he took a bath post-420gate), and critical when it’s called for.
He’s guested on other podcasts as the token TSLA bull and has held his own under attack.

For a short-form daily podcast, the level of research and insight he puts in is impressive. Of the handful of Tesla podcasts I listen to regularly, I like them all for different reasons, but Tesla Daily would be my desert-island pick.

I've listened to a few of his podcasts, but find he talks too fast for my liking, but that's a personal thing.

However, I would comment the analysis he did of the last quarterly results, where he illuminated a lot of things for a financial-imbecile like myself.

Reactions: mickificki
I've now read the full article, it begins as a run-of-the-mill hit piece against Tesla and Elon Musk that requires no repetition (German competition coming any time soon, Tesla in trouble and overvalued, yadda, yadda.), but the key section is a leak from top Volkswagen management, which is reported in the final part of the article. I believe this is what TSLA reacted to:

[quote from the German original]:

"Als größter Tesla-Fan der Autoszene gilt indes Volkswagen-Chef Herbert Diess. Zweimal im Jahr trifft er sich mit Elon Musk, schwärmt seinen Topingenieuren immer wieder vor, was Tesla und andere im Silicon Valley können – und VW noch nicht."

"Vor einem Jahr schon wollte sich der Volkswagen-Chef an Googles Autotochter Waymo beteiligen, sich so die fehlende Expertise für autonomes Fahren sichern. Das war zu teuer. Es blieb nur die kleine Lösung: eine Partnerschaft mit Ford."

"Der Traum Tesla glühe noch in Diess, heißt es an der Konzernspitze. Er glaube, dass Volkswagen von Teslas Batterie- und vor allem Softwarekompetenz profitieren könne. "Er würde sofort einsteigen, wenn er könnte", sagt einer seiner Topleute. Das Geld sei auch da, für den Anfang reiche ja eine Beteiligung. Schwieriger sei es da schon mit der Zustimmung der Großaktionäre, der Familien Porsche und Piëch."

"Aber kann sich irgendjemand Elon Musk als einen Mann vorstellen, der nach Wolfsburg berichtet? Bislang lehnt er jedes Ansinnen ab, über etwaige Kooperationen nachzudenken. Aber wenn jemand den Tesla-Gründer überzeugen und mit ihm zurechtkommen könne, sagt ein VW-Mann, "dann Herbert Diess". Zumal wenn Musk kaum noch etwas anderes übrig bleibt, um sein Werk zu retten."
[Translation (Google Translate with a few corrections and annotations from me):]

The biggest Tesla fan in the car industry is Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess. Twice a year, he meets Elon Musk and keeps reminding his top engineers what Tesla and others in Silicon Valley can do - and VW does not.

A year ago, the Volkswagen CEO wanted to participate in Google's car subsidiary Waymo, thus addressing [VW's] lack of expertise for autonomous driving. That was too expensive. There was only the lesser solution: a partnership with Ford.

The Tesla dream still glows in Diess, according to our sources in top VW management. He believes Volkswagen could benefit from Tesla's battery and software expertise. "[VW CEO Herbert Diess] would immediately [invest in Tesla] if he could," says one of his top people. The money is there too, initially a [minority] stake in Tesla would be enough. It would be more difficult to gain the approval of the largest [VW] shareholders, the Porsche and Piëch families.

But can anyone imagine Elon Musk as a man reporting to Wolfsburg? So far, [Elon] rejects any request to think about any cooperation [with Volkswagen]. But if someone can convince the Tesla founder and get along with him, says a VW man, "then Herbert Diess". Especially when Musk has little else left to save his work.​

The takeaway:
  • Manager Magazin has been the recipient of top level VW leaks before, I do think their claims here are credible.
  • Remember the story from last summer, about VW's participation in the going-private transaction at $420? Apparently it was true, although the VW CFO denied the rumors at that time.
  • Last year VW wanted to invest in Waymo, but found the price too expensive, and the agreement with Ford was Plan B.
  • VW's CEO still wants to acquire a stake in Tesla, but Elon doesn't want their participation.
My speculation: I believe VW management leaked VW's interest in Tesla to Manager Magazin to pressure Elon into allowing a VW investment. Hostile takeover without Elon's blessing probably wouldn't work with Elon the largest shareholder.

We now have the main suspect that's shorting TSLA stock. It makes perfect sense why they did it and denied participating in the acquisition at $420

CNBC now going with the alleged VW interest in taking a stake in Tesla, and the major UK investor, saying the company may be better off with Musk not running things day to day. FWIW

Would cause the shorts to wet their pants, and even if not true, which is probably more likely than not, speaks to where Tesla has taken the EV market, the lead position, and the potential upside.

Reactions: Prunesquallor
CNBC now going with the alleged VW interest in taking a stake in Tesla, and the major UK investor, saying the company may be better off with Musk not running things day to day. FWIW

Would cause the shorts to wet their pants, and even if not true, which is probably more likely than not, speaks to where Tesla has taken the EV market, the lead position, and the potential upside.

I like how they say Tesla is not worth the $30 billion to buy the whole company. Wow, I didn't know the stock price was below $170!

Though climate change may have a different thread it is at the core of Tesla's purpose so significant for investors. Here is a summary worth reading of scientific bias important for those with a scientific background on its merits alone.

Scientists Have Been Underestimating the Pace of Climate Change

A sample of some of its conclusions:

"The combination of these three factors—the push for univocality, the belief that conservatism is socially and politically protective, and the reluctance to make estimates at all when the available data are contradictory—can lead to 'least common denominator' results—minimalist conclusions that are weak or incomplete."

If any aspects/facets of this "conspiracy theory" are actually true then that would help explain (to me anyway) why the short interest doesn't move much as well as why we haven't really had any significant "short squeezes" over the last couple of years as many components of the "bear thesis" have been proven wrong by Tesla's performance/results. Very deep pockets don't get margin calls and forced covers...

Last edited:
s
VW ID specs:
VW ID.3 details revealed: Price, standard features, charging speed, and more
$36,000. 420 km (260 miles) per charge. 100 kW charging through IONITY rapid chargers, LED lights, a 0-100 km time of 7.5 seconds, and 18″ wheels.

7.5 seconds? Wut? And you get to use the ionity rapid chargers. woo. There are currently THREE in the whole united kingdom*
So a slower car, with hardly any charging infrastructure, from a very-untrusted (dieselgate) brand. But oooh...heated steering wheel as standard.
Oh and you cant buy one yet. maybe next year. Maybe.

This is the competition from one of the largest car companies on the planet. Laughable. Glad to see more EVs but... if I was elon musk I'd be laughing my head off looking at this. Tesla are going to crush it.

*i lied...there are plans to build a fourth, which is when tesla will be driven bankrupt I guess?
I don’t think 0-100 time 7,5 seconds is bad in WV ID segment.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
The problem that Tesla faces surrounding these big events is credibility. Credibility related to timelines. We have seen solar roof, Semi, Roadster II, and countless other products roll out significantly later than presented (in some cases suggested). No need to mention the software side of things. :( Now we are seeing that the dates presented during the autonomy event look less likely.

Elon needs to do a better job on this as it looks as his credibility related to timelines may have eroded to the point that it is not the internal motivator that it once was (a little speculation on my part). Granted part of this is due to an aggressive disinformation campaign, but his continued schedule misses further erode remaining credibility with employees and investors.
When you are doing something that is basically new, timelines are only a SWAG, and occasionally something different is done because of discoveries. This is only an issue for those who don't understand the difference between BAU and innovation. (e.g. almost all analysts). It's more important to look at the results when they happen. Elon has a pretty good record for accomplishments.