Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just insert Audi, Mercedes, BMW, whomever you chose in place of Chevy...or just leave it Chevy. It all works.

Just a little chuckle to start your trading day.

DanView attachment 376275
Do Velociraptor emissions count? If not, behold after 2 billion dollars/years of research the Audi v-tron
dinosaur-1419052_1280.jpg

The problem is - just as most of the people here - longs assume the price will come down to 29x, when they can buy. So, why buy at 312 ? That is why some news has to come (Tesla related or macros) that makes people feel SP will go up soon.

BTW, most large investors add over a period of days in small numbers to move the market as little as possible. So, they don't necessarily add at the lowest points, unless they luck out and add on those 2 days SP was below 290 YTD.
You hit the nail on the head. Q3 was a BLOWOUT, and people did buy at $360-$377 (for good reason) only to see $280 a month later. When $360 rolls around again, those same investors that did get burned will sell. It’s a vicious cycle, until we get some major breakthrough. Long term, I’m very bullish. For now, swing and add to core with my profits

Thanks! Found this enlightening, especially some of the Q&A answers. It seems that Tesla first wanted a non exclusive agreement with them until Tesla realized how good the technology was. Given that Tesla ended up buying the company it seems that either Tesla really wanted that non-exclusivity or they wanted to speed up the timeline for implementing a manufacturing line.
As a TSLA shareholder, I'm psyched about the acquisition. As a MXWL shareholder, I feel like I didn't get a good price for the value MXWL's tech will contribute. A five year investment in MXWL, and I'll lose about 20%. Damn!

Here is a nice summary, including mention of the Needham Conference: Worth the 15 minutes:

I could be wrong, but I think shorts want to derail the deal to harm Tesla. They persuade other companies to bid for it by saying the startup has valuable technologies.

Investment banks and hedge funds are not non-profit organizations. When they upgrade/downgrade a company, there are motivations behind it. Those who want to convince Needham to upgrade Tesla, probably don't understand the dynamics behind it. It's about money, not about what the analyst really thinks. GS is the best example. As long as they hold those Puts and their big clients are on the short side, GS analyst will never upgrade it, he will never say anything positive about the company.

Of course they say they maintain a Great Wall between their investment arm and research arm. I totally trust them. They are honest people. /s

No farking way in a nation with 1.5 billion people and a sizable upper and middle class population that the orders for such a novel vehicle are "in the hundreds".

I believed the same thing. However, hearing that Tesla is offering autopilot for free in China.. it isn't sitting well with me. Usually when I write some snarky "Oh I'm sooo concerned" post I'm kidding. This to me feels like a very very real concern. If anyone can reasonably explain why Tesla would do this if they had Chinese demand I would love to hear it.

Tesla's free Autopilot offering in China is a strategic move that paves the way for Full Self-Driving

Reactions: kbM3 and Smokey4141
I believed the same thing. However, hearing that Tesla is offering autopilot for free in China.. it isn't sitting well with me. Usually when I write some snarky "Oh I'm sooo concerned" post I'm kidding. This to me feels like a very very real concern. If anyone can reasonably explain why Tesla would do this if they had Chinese demand I would love to hear it.

Tesla's free Autopilot offering in China is a strategic move that paves the way for Full Self-Driving

I was thinking about this move yesterday. I thought it is a great move, someone very smart is working on the pricing. In China (and many places), a good marketing strategy is to be viewed as the best and the more expensive product than your peers. Trying to show your products are cheaper than your competitors doesn't work well.

Instead of saying Tesla is offering autopilot for free, I view this as Tesla makes autopilot a standard feature in China, so automatically the starting price can go higher. It achieves both goals: the price is higher, the car is better (with autopilot standard).

Edit: another possibility is that autopilot take rate is not very high in China, this can help with gross margin.

Last edited:
But in all seriousness, If those maxwell cells pan out, 500wh/kg for under $100/Kwh kills *all* segments of the ICE industry.

With tech like that you'd be an idiot to buy or produce an ICE vehicle.

At those specs a model 3 LR would weigh 500lbs less making it lighter than comparable ice cars. . It would probably have 10% more range and even better acceleration too.

A couple of things.

1. Teslas with shipping + import taxes end up being like 15k more than what it cost here. This compared to cheaper domestic made EVs, Teslas are actually very expensive.

2. Autopilot is pretty much useless in China and I don't believe the subscription rate will be very high. I am from Beijing, and from what I recall, road markers are almost nonexistent and off high way traffic is ridiculous. No one follows any traffic laws and it's almost common to have bikes and people just run into your car as you try to squeeze through. It's a freaken mess and I know I have a lot of problems driving in China.

3. You have to understand that most people are NOT living in single family homes. Those are extremely rare since condos are a common place. Tesla needs WAY more charging points in order to win over the Chinese public. But I understand they have a lot of level 2 220v chargers all over since the electricity is already 220v.

So perhaps this is a way to generate some orders for the Chinese new years or Tesla figured EAP is not very popular in China. I know I wouldn't get it if I was over since it's pretty much useless.