Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subject: Any path that gives flexibility to switch from/to TSLA options to 1-Delta (behave like Stock TSLA) without Tax effects
This is in the context of a Taxable account.

I am trying to find a way to always be in TSLA, either Stock or Options with the ability to switch without tax effects. It appears I would at the least end up with LTCG (long-term capital gains tax)

Ideally, I would like to have my money in Options during the times when I expect Options to move faster than stock, that is, favorable IV.
At the same time, when the IV is not favorable I would like to switch to some instrument that mimics holding the stock, Delta being 1.
  1. Stock: If I choose Stock as such fallback, I will end with taxes, short/long term. I would like to avoid this cost.
  2. Deep ITM LEAP: I can switch to long date deep ITM options which behave very much like TSLA (Dollar for Dollar move up/down). But with these, at the least I will end up with LTCG.
Maybe there's a totally different approach that gives the desired effect?

• Informative
Reactions: PANN
TSLA SP over the past month explained:

upload_2020-8-1_17-30-55.png

Thank goodness they've moved on to KODK :)

No need for anothet button.

We already have the press of the tip of the left stalk.

1-press is one wipe.

What if they did 2 quick presses to be speed 2, 3 quick successiv presses be level 3 etc. 1 press to return to auto.

Problem solved, minimal change.

But that would require a trip to the dealer.
And a 300 dollar fee.
Two hours wasted in the waiting room.
Never mind, I forgot its a Tesla.

Reactions: Electroman
now, question I’m debating for the weekend before market open Monday...to sell my 25 shares of Apple and buy more Tesla to add to my position, or hold Apple and just keep buying up Tesla as I work and earn
IMO if you are holding for one year or more, you can't beat Tesla.
Short term for Apple looks very positive (I have no position in AAPL). This is like Y2K all over again. Every student, teacher, stay-at-home worker is upgrading their computer, laptop, tablet, smart phone or/and buying new equipment this summer and fall due to CV-19. Once those purchases are over, thinking January 2021, there will be a gap in purchases for a few years in general so AAPL should do extremely well until then, at which time the shine will come off and many Apple stock owners will sell and transfer their profits to Tesla shares.

Could not read the WSJ piece, but found this in the BI one:

But nobody has the brand power that Musk has created for Tesla. It's apparent now that the competition is playing catch-up. But that might be impossible. Experian recently said that of Tesla owners it surveyed, more than 80% would own again. It isn't going to be easy to take on Tesla.

I find it very hard to believe only 80% of current Tesla owners would own another Tesla. Thinking that the remaining 20% know their Tesla will last them for life, so that is the reason they would not need to own another Tesla.

Nah. They’ll be cheaper a little later on. What do they have that’s interesting to Tesla?

Ford doesn't have much to interest Tesla, the brand name is by far the thing with the most value.

I have an older in-law who has been a stock market investor for many years time. He's had his big wins and big losses but would have better over the long-haul to simply buy stock index funds and let it ride. Last Christmas I suggested it would be a good time to buy TSLA. Without pause he said, "I would never invest in a company run by Elon Musk". I asked why not. He said he's a "flake" (he's an adamant republican and this was before Coronavirus). I said "He's probably the most innovative and important American industrialist of the 21st century". He said, "I don't care, he's a flake, I could never invest with him". I said, "OK, whatever, but it's a really good opportunity from a financial perspective." But he was not to be swayed.

Likewise, he could never drive a Tesla. However, if it had a Ford badge (and Tesla technology) he might be found behind the wheel. GMC would be even better. What's in a name?

A lot!

The trick would be to buy Ford as part of bankruptcy proceedings so Tesla would not have to assume all the dealership obligations (not to mention their debt).

This is Jack's best video of all of them! He covers about 5 or 6 subjects that are key to fully grasping and understanding what's going on with Tesla, things that most people (and some people here) just don't seem to understand. While it's true that Jack is a Tesla bull, and has been for years, his most major failing over the years was to not be a big enough bull. And that's something he shares with most people here, myself included.

Don't forget to turn the playback speed up.
There are a lot of empty statue bases available for a statue of Jack. Great show. Neat guy.

Ford doesn't have much to interest Tesla, the brand name is by far the thing with the most value.

I have an older in-law who has been a stock market investor for many years time. He's had his big wins and big losses but would have better over the long-haul to simply buy stock index funds and let it ride. Last Christmas I suggested it would be a good time to buy TSLA. Without pause he said, "I would never invest in a company run by Elon Musk". I asked why not. He said he's a "flake" (he's an adamant republican and this was before Coronavirus). I said "He's probably the most innovative and important American industrialist of the 21st century". He said, "I don't care, he's a flake, I could never invest with him". I said, "OK, whatever, but it's a really good opportunity from a financial perspective." But he was not to be swayed.

Likewise, he could never drive a Tesla. However, if it had a Ford badge (and Tesla technology) he might be found behind the wheel. GMC would be even better. What's in a name?
Your in-law proves the adage there is no fool like an old fool.

Ill give you a story... back in 2014, i had 300 shares of apple with a cost basis of about $80/share....it had been steadily going up and shot up to $645 when they announced a 7 for 1 split. I thought to myself, like you, can there be more upside? So i sold it for a $170k profit. Nice you would think! Fast forward to today...If i did not sell it..i would have 2100 shares at the closing price of $425.04. (Cost per share = $11.42)

To sum it up for you:

Sold in 2014: Profit $170k

If i held till today:

2100 shares = $892,584 - cost basis of $24k = $868,584. They announced a stock split 4:1 so i would have 8400 shares with a cost basis of 24k, which equals $2.85/share.

Now, ask yourself 'do you think there is more upside?' o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

okay, okay! Point made and very valid! I shall hold the APPL and in years and years down the road I will come back to this post and give you a virtual hug, friend! :)

View attachment 571519
“Tesla Inc. could be on track to complete its new plant near Berlin more quickly than its Shanghai facility, according to a local government minister“

Tesla on Track for Swift Berlin Plant Completion, Minister Says

FUD is still FUD. Here is a simple very short article on Gig Berlin "Swift" plant construction schedule. Yet the author uses the following site photo in their August 1st (today's) article.
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.59.14 PM.png

Instead of photo from videos posted today such as the one below. There is no excuse for sloppy journalism.
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.06.20 PM.png

How could Starlink be related to Tesla? Communication to / from cars? Robotaxi? Rural coverage?

Elon has repeatedly said Starlink is for stationary use not vehicle. If there is a Tesla play it could be at superchargers. Offer wifi to the charging cars, with movies, entertainment, ecommerce, hyperlocal (walking distance) right-now ads/deals, local news/weather, full TV, sports, etc

okay, okay! Point made and very valid! I shall hold the APPL and in years and years down the road I will come back to this post and give you a virtual hug, friend! :)
Not professional advice....just sharing what could have happened if i held. Now, if you sell your 25 shares of APPL and buy TSLA....i cannot fault you for doing that :)

IMO if you are holding for one year or more, you can't beat Tesla.
Short term for Apple looks very positive (I have no position in AAPL). This is like Y2K all over again. Every student, teacher, stay-at-home worker is upgrading their computer, laptop, tablet, smart phone or/and buying new equipment this summer and fall due to CV-19. Once those purchases are over, thinking January 2021, there will be a gap in purchases for a few years in general so AAPL should do extremely well until then, at which time the shine will come off and many Apple stock owners will sell and transfer their profits to Tesla shares.

that’s an idea....hold it out until after the “shine” starts to wane and transfer it all to TSLA. I’m still buying TSLA weekly with my paycheck but, Hmmm...I guess I need another job, geesh. My taste in stocks is getting super expensive.

• Funny
Reactions: capster and Lessmog
Urteil nach Tesla-Unfall: Gericht verbietet Touchscreen-Bedienung

The problem with this court ruling is that we Tesla drivers face fines (€200 in this case) for using the touch screen while driving. It is mot Tesla being fined, but any Tesla driver can be fined if he is caught using the touch screen while driving.

As the article states, this is not a problem limited to Tesla. VW has the volume control for the radio on a slider and BMW has other functions on touch, which are not allowed to use while driving,

If this is the final word of the judges (as it seems it is) the auto interface designs must be rethought. Tesla is the only one who could solve this with an OTA update. The levers needed are in place (turn stalk, gear shifter and the very versatile wheels in the steering wheel.

I for one will be much more careful when using the touch screen while driving. Not that I won‘t do it, but I don‘t want to get caught. Oops: this is a public forum: I will probably never again use the touch screen while driving.

Judges with a hammer see every problem as a nail.
Some1 should show them the SpaceX Dragon console ...

Not professional advice....just sharing what could have happened if i held. Now, if you sell your 25 shares of APPL and buy TSLA....i cannot fault you for doing that :)

Yeah that’s what I was planning, I mean what else would I buy? I have everything I need. Hmmm....well thank you so so much for your story and your advice. I’m still figuring it all out but I learn more from others and asking questions more than anything.
I’m a pharmacist and when I got my second job at a hospital in town, there were two older pharmacists who, all February and March of this year kept telling me “Sophia buy TSLA stock. You work so much, you need to put your money to work. TSLA will make you rich.” I never took them seriously until one day, walking into work, it hit me. Everything I was doing to save money and put it in the bank for “later” or to pay cash for a house no longer made any sense. I dumped all my savings into TSLA and a couple months later, here we are. :)