Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're planning on holding till.... 5 /10 /15 or the full 22k/sh it, IMHO, doesn't make all that much difference.:)

Oh no! I’m not selling anything for a long long time! It’ll take at least 5-10k/sh to pry a share of TSLA from me lol! I’m just debating whether or not to sell this APPL. It probably doesn’t matter really but this 25 shares APPL is like 7 whole TSLA shares Lol! I still have my stock in a private company I work for that I bought when I was 16. I always overthink these things...o_O

Reactions: Mike Ambler
Ford's plan to defer government loan payments a 'concerning sign'
Ford Motor Co. confirmed Friday that it sought and won permission from the U.S. Department of Energy to defer debt payments owed for a 2009 government loan.

The action is viewed as "worrisome" to an expert who closely follows bankruptcy trends.

Regulatory documents filed by Ford showed the company owes payments of $591 million in 2020, $591 million in 2021 and $289 million in 2022.

"The fact that Ford Motor Co., a multibillion dollar organization, finds it necessary to defer loan payments of that size would be a concerning sign to their investors," said Charles Elson, director of the Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware.

Tesla paid off in full its loan from the same government program in 2013, including interest and prepayment penalty: Tesla Repays Department of Energy Loan Nine Years Early

Ford's plan to defer government loan payments a 'concerning sign'
Ford Motor Co. confirmed Friday that it sought and won permission from the U.S. Department of Energy to defer debt payments owed for a 2009 government loan.

The action is viewed as "worrisome" to an expert who closely follows bankruptcy trends.

Regulatory documents filed by Ford showed the company owes payments of $591 million in 2020, $591 million in 2021 and $289 million in 2022.

"The fact that Ford Motor Co., a multibillion dollar organization, finds it necessary to defer loan payments of that size would be a concerning sign to their investors," said Charles Elson, director of the Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware.

Tesla paid off in full its loan from the same government program in 2013, including interest and prepayment penalty: Tesla Repays Department of Energy Loan Nine Years Early

If in advance of joining the S&P 500, Tesla provides a subsequent offering of shares, the proceeds could be used to buy Ford Motor Company. ;)

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Elon reaching out to Diess now that VW has demoted him? Would he fit in and where? In the words of Sandy Munro, he’s a wild dog and Tesla’s always looking for Mavericks.

My perception of Diess was largely positive until I saw the Uighur piece by John Oliver. Would need to see a satisfactory explanation to his comments before I'd be on board with him joining Tesla in any executive role.

Tesla bulls also constantly lie about how long it takes to charge the car. They claim it's five seconds to plug in, and I know, because I've conducted empirical studies and it takes at least TEN seconds. AND THEY NEVER MENTION YOU HAVE TO UNPLUG IT IN THE MORNING!

Haha! That's true. Similarly, pro-gasoline curmudgeons who claim they can fill their gas car in only 4-5 minutes never count the time it takes to navigate to the gas station (and back onto their route), whether that involves taking a freeway exit, sitting at a stoplight or waiting in line behind other cars at the gas station.

Yeah okay well I’ll give you that lol! True true true....but still, can there be any more upside to this massive Apple increase in price? I’m not so sure. I suppose I could hold out longer (years and years longer). But it’s definitely not Tesla and I shouldn’t compare lol.

Ill give you a story... back in 2014, i had 300 shares of apple with a cost basis of about $80/share....it had been steadily going up and shot up to $645 when they announced a 7 for 1 split. I thought to myself, like you, can there be more upside? So i sold it for a $170k profit. Nice you would think! Fast forward to today...If i did not sell it..i would have 2100 shares at the closing price of $425.04. (Cost per share = $11.42)

To sum it up for you:

Sold in 2014: Profit $170k

If i held till today:

2100 shares = $892,584 - cost basis of $24k = $868,584. They announced a stock split 4:1 so i would have 8400 shares with a cost basis of 24k, which equals $2.85/share.

Now, ask yourself 'do you think there is more upside?' o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

My first construction job was a Fred Meyer Department Store in Bonney Lake Washington. As it happened, the General Foreman in charge of the project had just finished six identical Fred Meyer stores. From my perspective the job was incredibly well organized. The equipment we were installing was delivered in the exact sequence we needed for the job progression.

Obviously, repetition improves efficiency; exponentially. The efficiency of the machine that builds the machine will be revealed on many different levels.

Tesla on Track for Swift Berlin Plant Completion, Minister Says

Jack posted a new video.

This is Jack's best video of all of them! He covers about 5 or 6 subjects that are key to fully grasping and understanding what's going on with Tesla, things that most people (and some people here) just don't seem to understand. While it's true that Jack is a Tesla bull, and has been for years, his most major failing over the years was to not be a big enough bull. And that's something he shares with most people here, myself included.

Don't forget to turn the playback speed up.

If you're planning on holding till.... 5 /10 /15 or the full 22k/sh it, IMHO, doesn't make all that much difference.:)
If in advance of joining the S&P 500, Tesla provides a subsequent offering of shares, the proceeds could be used to buy Ford Motor Company. ;)

Nah. They’ll be cheaper a little later on. What do they have that’s interesting to Tesla?

While it's true that Jack is a Tesla bull, and has been for years, his most major failing over the years was to not be a big enough bull. And that's something he shares with most people here, myself included.

This is my thought also. I have been playing with the idea in the past, but only just recently pulled the trigger on going all in! I’m wondering whether this is a large-scale mindset change in the fan crowd (or even outside of the crowd) and will be an even bigger catalyst for the stock.

With respect to the judge who thinks that adjusting the wiper speed on a screen is too difficult to do safely when operating a car, may I submit the following:

In the 2nd quarter [of 2020], we registered one accident for every 4.53 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.27 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.56 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.

Even without autopilot and without active safety features, Teslas are involved in 1/3 as many accidents. The problem is not Tesla’s user interface. It’s the idiot behind the wheel.

What do you guys think about Elon reaching out to Diess now that VW has demoted him? Would he fit in and where? In the words of Sandy Munro, he’s a wild dog and Tesla’s always looking for Mavericks.
Well, they know ea other quite well - recently (last year?) they were onstage at the same time in Germany when Elon announced (side info, the event was about some other thing) the Berlin Gigafactory. - they did seem genuinely on friendly terms. Also back in 2018 when Tesla was on the ropes, Elon had started negotiating w/ VW (Diess) about a possible sale to them - so Diess certainly knows a lot about Tesla too. Soooo if it makes sense they can come to an agreement for sure. Diess would be invaluable as he knows the local markets and regulators etc. Not sweating it, am sure a lot of talented folks in EU want to work for Tesla. It's like it used to be for GE - looks great on your CV.