Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious: what do you propose to do about the large number of Tesla owners displeased with his writing who harass him—including threats of violence—online via Twitter, email, and other forums?
If you responded I hope you said that those people have nothing to do with rational supporters, just as valid criticism has nothing to do with the rabid anti Tesla crowd.

@neroden can post as frequently as he likes. One of the few people whose comments I always read.

Same here. I also like that his posts refers to a single previous post that may be lost from a few pages prior, as it makes for quick and easy reading.

Besides, isn't the whole point of this thread for people to spout off about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere?

edit: I don't know how he finds the time to post that often though!?

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and wipster
If Tesla's are truly appreciating assets and you can't take possession after your 3 year lease, then it makes sense for Tesla to lease as many cars as possible regardless of cost. They're lending for a huge fee something that's going to be worth even more when they get it back.

Honestly this is just a Tesla mind trick to under sell leasing and at the same time putting confident behind their FSD technology and potential value proposition of the Model 3 being an appreciating asset.

Tesla said you can't buy your leased car after 3 years which get you that feeling that if you don't buy today, you'll only be able to drive a model 3 for three years. After 3 years, your friends/family/Tesla will be making 30k/year renting their cars out while you are out of luck losing out.

But Tesla never said you can't lease another new model 3 or just buy a cpo. I mean how many people buy their car after a lease? Leasees love the feeling of having a new car every three years anyway. Its a really good marketing trick that people are falling for.

Last edited:
This is my personal opinion (so not as a moderator) and so was my previous post:

I appreciate the input by Neroden and think he is (you are) a valuable resource on this site, although on the subject of communications/service and robotaxi it is becoming very repetitive. I appreciate most of his (your) comments. But going on a serial posting spree about virtually every subject that was discussed today is in my eyes is not the right approach.

Note that Pudong Develoment Bank, with almost 1 trillion dollars of assets, has the Chinese state as its largest shareholder through the Shanghai International Group (SIG) that manages 150 trillion dollars of assets (!), so it's a de facto Chinese state owned and state backed banking institution.

This means that Pudong Development Bank's financing decisions will thus be a mixture of commercial profit seeking and support of long term Chinese government policy.

I don't know which one it is in this case - but if this is expression of state policy to support EV adoption then it could easily be financed by them and not Tesla.

The proof of the Pudong is in the EVing :p

They would need to be GAP positive Q2

Edit: I believe that is not correct. It looks like they would need to be positive for 4 consecutive quarters based on Investopedia.
AlMc covered the actual criteria, but just in case any new readers decided to consult Investopedia: Investopedia is wrong, and many other sources copied Investopedia (with or without attribution) instead of doing their homework. In particular there is absolutely no requirement to be (GAAP) positive for 4 consecutive quarters.

Regular readers will know this, as we’ve been over this at least a dozen times in this thread.

Last year most of us thought SP500 inclusion would happen after 2019Q2 results, but then Q1 happened. So realistically we’ll have to wait until after 2020Q1 results. (Or possibly longer.)

No, he's absolutely not. If he intended to make that point, he failed.

Take a look at free software. The principle of most of the licenses is "use whatever you like, but FFS give credit to the author".

Many popular software licenses do not require attribution, and most that do, only require it in the source code. For example take a look at the very popular Apache License 2.0:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

Reading this license it is more about how to pass on the license with only this talking about passing on attributions of the original:

You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works;

But redistributing the license or passing on exiting attributions from the source is not the same as attributing the author. Anyway, it's not black and white like you paint it to be.

Forbes points out that this number is more than the U.S. defense budget and “ten times the federal spending for education.”
The U.S. defense budget IS a subsidy to fossil fuels.

People say we get cheap oil from the Middle East, but what does it cost annually to keep the US Sixth Fleet on constant patrol in the Eastern Med? What does it cost for a single 'sabre-rattling' sortie of a Carrier Group into the Persian Gulf? How much of the R&D budget pays for weapons that will only ever be used to protect oil-soaked medieval autocracies?

Yeah, it's not listed as a budget item. Hint: it's like HALF of the U.S. GDP. Not the Federal Budget; the G.D. GDP. :oops:

How embarrassing.

Last edited:
If you responded I hope you said that those people have nothing to do with rational supporters, just as valid criticism has nothing to do with the rabid anti Tesla crowd.

My response was:

I'm glad to get a response - I was not expecting one.

Most Tesla fans are environmentally conscious, responsible and caring and to answer your question, I don't know what to do regarding threats of violence - obviously they do not speak for Tesla fans like myself.

I'm not sure what type of harassment you are talking about. Maybe you think people complaining about him blocking dissenting opinions is harassment? Or complaining about biased reporting is harassment? In the world of Twitter and anonymity, things are ugly, mostly on the anti-Tesla side, but sometimes on the pro-Tesla side too. Ad hominem attacks are not constructive.

Let me ask you a question - what would it take for Ars Technica to be more pro Tesla? They have great products and great goal of helping the environment...

Highly reliable for FUD quotes, which is why some FUD reporters literally have included in their “articles” open calls for such former employees to contact them.

Both Mark Matousek and Linette Lopez tag such requests to their Tesla articles at Business Insider. Do they ever ask for similar information about other companies? I once responded to Lopez asking if she would accept positive information about Tesla. She did not reply.

Last edited:

Chinese people financing to buy cars? What is this the twilight zone?

Promotions like these are weird. The culture of the Chinese are not one who spends what they don't have on depreciating assets. Don't get me wrong, the Chinese are very flashy and loves to flaunt their wealth. Maybe times have changed and Mars can comment what the status of the cultural changes are. I know everyone we know who are in China pays cash for everything except investment houses.

The funny thing is that media will now write another article that Musk deleted his “deleted” tweet.

Good. They will have to report it accurately this time, that Musk *tweeted* “Just deleted my twitter account”, an obvious Father’s Day dad joke. Note the past tense on the word ‘deleted’.

Saw a whole bunch of headlines twisting that to say ‘is deleting’, future tense, to mask the joke and make it seem oh so serious.