Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those interested in TCO comparisons. I saved in the last 4 month since I have my Model 3 about € 2,600 versus my previous car.

Price tag if both cars are new is about the same as well as insurance.

Difference is the Model 3 is the safest car you can drive and it likely hold its value much stronger possibly appreciates, does drive itself in the future, gets better, does not pollute the air and holds +3 times longer.

Alex on Twitter

My god the TSLAQ shorts are delusional. I don't think its malicious, just a total and utter lack of any intelligence whatsoever. the latest conspiracy is that tesla has SO MUCH MONEY they are bailing out spacex. Surely parody at this point?

hullutimo on Twitter

What cretins are believing this crap?

Well I don't know if they are wrong.

Remember its been reported that the Martian High Command was very impressed by the Red Roadster that Elon sent them.
So impressed that they offered 100 square miles (259 square KM) for every model 3 delivered by the end of 2022.

This would explain the parking lots near Cape Kennedy being full of model 3's,
and SpaceX needs the money to deliver them.

Last edited:
Is there any sign of continued Fiat payments in the 10-Q?

They still have $140m of deferred unbooked credit revenue. I think this is the Q1 FCA payment. My guess is they haven’t booked any credit revenue in Europe yet. I think the Q1 credit revenue boost may have been due to a one off sale of US credits to GM. Hard to know for sure though.

I think he does use InsideEVs numbers for US. And I think they use his numbers for worldwide. But nobody seems to have good numbers for Canada.

It's actually 7k in Canada, since InsideEVs has 25.7k in the US plus a few in Mexico and Electrek says they came a couple hundred short of 33k. Of course 7k is still a huge spike, but not out of character for Canada. I recall they delivered something like 4-5k in Ontario alone in May or June of 2018 when the 14k incentive was set to expire. They rented out a convention hall for a mass delivery event. MIght have done 1% of the entire nation's monthly vehicle sales at that event!

We live in a world full of readily available data and yet no one can find out how many cars Tesla sold in the second quarter in Canada. Weird. Is this Tesla specific or is it impossible to find for other car manufacturers as well?

OT

When the renewable energy transition is complete, will this go down in history as the most manipulated stock?.............

Well, at least the question implies to me that both the transition will be completed in time and that the stock market will remain relevant after a transition. IMHO both assumptions are questionable.

The extremely vast majority of multi-unit housing renters in the US do not have a household income to make an EV car purchase feasible—yet...
This is simply untrue. Multi family housing in many urban areas is sometimes as expensive as single family housing. In many cities much multi-family housing (MFD) sells for >US$500,000. Check New York, DC, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and so on. Proportionately the top 50 MSA’s account for the “vast majority” of BEV sakes in the US. Not coincidently these are the same places where MFD is most likely to be expensive. This is not to say that the ‘vast majority’ of BEV sakes are in MFD.

FWIW I have lived in MFD in NYC, SFO and MIA. In each of those three cities my building had in the parking facility numerous vehicles more expensive than Tesla, including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and Bentley models. Fir the record my buildings were far from the most expensive ones in those markets.

It is not by accident that Tesla representatives have been active advocates for legislation to advance BEV charging in MFD’s. The Florida Tesla Enthusiasts we’re directly involved in the successful effort to pass Florida legislation to that effect. My own Miami condo has gone from one Tesla (mine) to roughly a dozen now partly due to easy charging installation.

It is also not by accident that many large or an Superchargers have been being installed worldwide and most large cities now have many Destination chargers in parking facilities and other locations such as hotels and shopping centers.

Nobody outside Tesla probably knows the proportion of Tesla owners located in MFDs. Even so there must be many, otherwise many condominium sellers would not promote their BEV charging capacity. The first such that I recall was in Toronto about four years ago. Now it has become common.

New municipal and state/provincial legislation is mandating BEV charging in MFD and other parking facilities. These are happening now mostly because BEV owners who live in MFDs are wealthier that most non-MFD dwellers and tend to be politically active.

Of course the NA continent average MFD dweller is poorer than the average SFD dweller. Averages don’t really mean anything, modes do. Remember please that the world of economic decisions is multi-modal!

You’re right, a third of renters are in SFH or dupes.
Are you suggesting that the tenant or landlord pays associated costs to have a 240 charger installed?
Yes, or they split the cost. My NEMA 14-50 cost under $250 to install; this is manageable by either landlord or tenant, for economic classes where an electric car is a possible purchase anyway.

Reactions: Mobius484
ahh yes lowered delivery estimate from 347K to 345K, no not a joke. But hey everyone can run the headline MS lowered estimate on Tesla.

Voilà...

upload_2019-7-29_15-52-47.png

Oh, also, reminder: uptick rule isn't in effect any more (that was a thing for Thursday and Friday), so expect the shorts to be back in full force.
Scary :eek::confused:
Just wondering where the short savings cavalry with the full toolboxes is after the uptick rule doesn't hold them back anymore? Maybe they were held up at a Tesla test drive event? ;)

Not many, but if you are pulling wires, the cost difference is minimal, so you might as well get the 14-50. And note the 14-50 is much better when you do a full charge for that trip. So for little extra cost, you get a lot of convenience. In an older home, you're likely to have Federal Pacific or Zinsco panels which have safety issues (not tripping on overloads). These should be replaced whether or not you are purchasing an EV, so that can't really be added to the cost of the EV, even though it happens at the same time.
Although if it's replaced to accommodate a charger, the cost might qualify for the EV charger tax credit.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and jerry33
Well I don't know if they are wrong.

Remember its been reported that the Martian High Command was very impressed by the Red Roadster that Elon sent them.
So impressed that they offered 100 square miles (259 square KM) for every model 3 delivered by the end of 2022.

This would explain the parking lots near Cape Kennedy being full of model 3's,
and SpaceX needs the money to deliver them.
@HG Wells
hmmm, you may be correct. When we went to watch Falcon heavy launch (Arabsat 6 ) a few months back and "illegally parked" along with a few 1,000's others , i noticed around a dozen Model S and Model 3's parked in same lot from around the country. (Delawhere is around 1,000 miles away) (we were 2-3 miles due south of the launch, whambo -zambo, quadruple sonic booms when landing
upload_2019-7-29_9-59-53.png

Oh, also, reminder: uptick rule isn't in effect any more (that was a thing for Thursday and Friday), so expect the shorts to be back in full force.

The uptick rule is over-rated, it has very little effectiveness except in flash crashes. Oh, I think the big money manipulators are trying today, but they encountered stronger buy pressure than anticipated. They will likely be forced to let the SP find a new (higher) level. This game is getting expensive for them.

I think this important point from Q2 has been largely overlooked: Tesla is steadily deleveraging the company.

Mayur M Thaker, CFA‏ @freshjiva Jul 26

$TSLA balance sheet delevering underway:

Net Debt (Total Debt - Cash):​
  • 2Q19: $8.07 billion (-12% seq. & Y-o-Y decline)
  • 1Q19: $9.16 billion
  • 2Q18: $9.23 billion
  • Likely to approach $7 billion by end of year to become among the least leveraged companies relative to EBITDA.
EAdPgJkWkAE3xBV.jpg