Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some comments on twitter suggesting that the revised GigaBerlin factory plans released yesterday may be scaled back to conserve water. Any German speakers here able to verify?
View attachment 559000
https://twitter.com/gigafactory_4/status/1278237221179600896?s=19

The German text in the tweet doesn't really talk about whys. It just lists the key changes without any explanation. The Grünheide tweet said much more information will be available tomorrow. Here's a rough translation of the bullet points outlining the key changes:

• “Mirrored” arrangement of the plants in the production building

• Reduction of the height of the production building in large parts from 24m to 15.2m (except paint shop [Paint] and press shop [Stamping])

• Foundry (Casting) increase in capacity

• Plastics production (Plastics) not applicable/dropped

• Battery production (battery pack) not applicable/dropped

• Relocation of the drive unit production to a separate building

• Relocation of the Central Utility and Waste Water Treatment plant to the east, next to the main building

• Reduction of water demand and wastewater generation

• Construction of a substation (switchyard)

• Construction of fire station and hazardous materials warehouse

• Change in the rail connection and the resulting change in traffic figures

• Change in the foundation (pile foundation)

• resulting adjustments to input materials, waste, air pollutant, odour, and noise emissions

• Increase in the total area of forest conversion from 154.54 ha (Phase 1 approx. 92 ha and 1b approx. 63 ha) to 193.27 ha (Phase 1c approx. 39 ha)

Last edited:
I did a quick search and it seems none of the Norwegian brokers that auto fills your tax data to our IRS does fractional shares. So you need to transfer money to an US broker like IB for instance, which creates massive tax work if you do any active trading. Especially for people that are new to investing they’ll use their current bank or a national broker.
Which again means not fractional shares or voting rights etc. So for anyone outside the US a split makes good sense.

I’ll say it also feels better to buy 3 shares than buy 0.05 shares.

for chrsk it’s an issue

for christine it looks like she has a choice of different brokers, so she definitely has options

i would change my tune in order to get people like chrsk the ability to invest in it for sure

but i dont put a lot of weight in the argument that post-split, shares tend to rise..tesla just rose 800 the last year
There is a similar issue with the annual allowances for tax free investments in the UK (and I would guess elsewhere). It is not possible to buy fractional shares through my ISA provider and I expect that is widespread. The allowance is £20k per year so at present SP levels things are OK but as it (hopefully) moves higher to being multiple thousands of dollars there will be a larger proportion of the allowance that it will not be possible to use.

There is a similar issue with the annual allowances for tax free investments in the UK (and I would guess elsewhere). It is not possible to buy fractional shares through my ISA provider and I expect that is widespread. The allowance is £20k per year so at present SP levels things are OK but as it (hopefully) moves higher to being multiple thousands of dollars there will be a larger proportion of the allowance that it will not be possible to use.

yes cobos post is helpful as well

so in the interest of having the most amount of GOOD use cases able to invest, a split makes sense

opinion changed.
thanks johnny english cobos christine chrsk cornelius

My broker (Hargreaves Lansdown) is the largest in the UK. It doesn't allow fractional share purchases. I'm sure there are plenty more that don't and there will be plenty of investors who probably don't even know about fractional shares. So they won't switch brokers to one that allows that. I think a stock split and lower "entry price" will have more of a positive impact than some here think.

yes cobos post is helpful as well

so in the interest of having the most amount of use cases able to invest, a split makes sense. opinion changed.
thanks johnny english cobos christine chrsk cornelius

For some people, regular monthly share buying would be ideal. To enable this and to allow as many people as possible to participate, and to allow for future growth by a large factor (10-20 times current price), I propose splitting one current share into 420 new ones.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: dww12 and Boomer19
Level II watching was a lot of fun yesterday, I saw some big trades getting fulfilled in no time, like this one mid-day (it was even bigger before the screen capture): 10,715 x 1,084 = $11,615,060 in a single trade!

1CD20EFD-9143-4C4F-A389-15E1FDD1C9B2.jpeg

still ~ 15bb in short interest...absurd

and much more $ than when we were at 280-380 levels. the highest at those levels was around 13bb if i recall correctly (i posted top tesla shorts all time a while back). during this run up it’s been much higher but then started dialing back towards legacy short $ amounts

• Informative
Reactions: Dig deeper
Back on May 3rd I stated my belief was that markets would recoil 50% due to COVID-19 and that this TMC Investors thread was "broken" and took a break from it. I was wrong on both counts, bigly. A believer in Tesla since 2012, Elon's tweets during the shut down rattled me and I thought I could time the dip. My success rate is now one out of six tries. Mssed out on a $150/sh increase rally before buying back, now with 20% less shares than I had previously, still a princely sum. Hoping my friends here at TMC forgive me for my lapse of judgement. Although I still believe markets are overbought, not so for TSLA. With every new car sold by Tesla, I really do believe they receive a customer for life.

Still working full time with limited time on my hands, my new strategy is to read through this thread at end of day to posts that have at least 10 or more likes, loves, dislikes, etc. which quickly gets the to the wheat and leave the chalf. Thank you all for your excellent posts and ratings of posts.

Some quick ballbark calculations.
$50k car @ 20% profit = $10k profit/car
upgrades after purchase are essentially 100% profit to Tesla. Therefore:
$2k AP @ 100% profit = $2k profit/AP. 5.0 AP upgrades = profit of one additional car sold.
$7k FSD @ 100% profit = $7k profit/FSD. 1.4 FSD upgrades = profit of one additional car sold.
The last end of quarter push to generate additional profit by reducing the cost of these OTA upgrades is not be underestimated. Profit secured.

I did my part at 10:48pm last night. I can't wait to drive my Tesla this morning!
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 7.22.19 AM.png

Back on May 3rd I stated my belief was that markets would recoil 50% due to COVID-19 and that this TMC Investors thread was "broken" and took a break from it. I was wrong on both counts, bigly. A believer in Tesla since 2012, Elon's tweets during the shut down rattled me and I thought I could time the dip. My success rate is now one out of six tries. Mssed out on a $150/sh increase rally before buying back, now with 20% less shares than I had previously, still a princely sum. Hoping my friends here at TMC forgive me for my lapse of judgement. Although I still believe markets are overbought, not so for TSLA. With every new car sold by Tesla, I really do believe they receive a customer for life.

Still working full time with limited time on my hands, my new strategy is to read through this thread at end of day to posts that have at least 10 or more likes, loves, dislikes, etc. which quickly gets the to the wheat and leave the chalf. Thank you all for your excellent posts and ratings of posts.

Some quick ballbark calculations.
$50k car @ 20% profit = $10k profit/car
upgrades after purchase are essentially 100% profit to Tesla. Therefore:
$2k AP @ 100% profit = $2k profit/AP. 5.0 AP upgrades = profit of one additional car sold.
$7k FSD @ 100% profit = $7k profit/FSD. 1.4 FSD upgrades = profit of one additional car sold.
The last end of quarter push to generate additional profit by reducing the cost of these OTA upgrades is not be underestimated. Profit secured.

I did my part at 10:48pm last night. I can't wait to drive my Tesla this morning!
View attachment 559005

Attn MODS: Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit".

Thank-you kindly.

Tesla is expanding the Fremont factory. And Twitter user Spencer took some pics:

https://twitter.com/sensarpensar/status/1278068282528952321

Mongo clarified: That's the Kato/ Page road building for Roadrunner (cell production), not the main Fremont factory.

EbycUxJU4AA0dWK.jpeg

So much construction work going on @tesla all over the world! :D

More pics in the tweet.

Edit: Mongos clarification.

Last edited:
My 2 Cents on stock split.

Tesla is very popular among young people. Lower price per share allows more people to own a part of the most world changing company around.

Elon has stated many times his support for the "little guy" a stock split allows more small investors in.

At some point (maybe already at the current price) A lot of regular people are left out.

Buy the car buy the stock becomes harder the higher it goes....and it's going higher for sure.

So I am in favor of a healthy stock split.