Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually the new Polestar 2 uses the new Android Automotive OS, which seems really good. I’ve seen reviewers claiming they prefer it to Tesla’s. This is one area where I am most afraid of competition actually...
I haven't used it myself, but I suspect this is one of those areas where even if you have a technically superior product, it won't be able to be tailored to the specific car in the same manner because it has to work with a large variety of vehicles. Say the AV portion is better than Tesla's (believable I suppose) but what about all the other car features that have to be integrated?

Lol shortzes. They can hide in their caves, they'll just be their graves, they can't get away from the steamroller that is Tesla. :p

TSLA.2020-08-10.08-41.png

Good spot. So I did some digging and a reverse image searches. Looks like this was taken in Nov 2019 and was not at the shanghai giga. This could be a machine for Tesla (before it was delivered?)... or it could not be related (who knows the what the sources were for the person on Reddit).

LK Group

Interesting though:

"During the factory open house, LK Group debuted the world’s first 6000T die casting cell, named as IMPRESS-PLUS DCC6000. The highly integrated, intelligent and energy-efficient die casting cell combined features such as smart injection, quality control and LK-NET to form the most powerful die casting unit in the world."

More pictures there too. To the uneducated.... too small for the whole car (the red piece must be the die).

LK Group owns IDRA, Tesla's supplier of Gigapress. I believe that the Gigapress is the IDRA OL 6100 CS, so presumably just a bit bigger than LK Group's IMPRESS-PLUS DCC6000. Probably more or less the same machine, either made in Italy or China.

In any event, this or something similar to this is probably now installed at both Shanghai and Fremont.

I haven't used it myself, but I suspect this is one of those areas where even if you have a technically superior product, it won't be able to be tailored to the specific car in the same manner because it has to work with a large variety of vehicles. Say the AV portion is better than Tesla's (believable I suppose) but what about all the other car features that have to be integrated?

AFAIK Android Automotive is a joint Intel/Google development to include APIs allowing car makers to tailor the software as much as they like for each vehicle- not a generic "same thing goes on every car from every maker" solution.

Mind you- this still doesn't fix a lot of other shortcomings from legacy auto- like their current lack of capability on handling that software work to customize it- or the other issues previous posters raised like long-term driver support or having a lot more non-integrated vendor components to deal with.

But it at least offers a "base" to start from....rather than the clown show over at VW where someone unaware of Brook's law is hiring 5000 "software" people to develop their own car software from scratch or something.

Much like Android on the phone, it's likely never going to be as smooth or as seamlessly integrated to the hardware as Teslas stuff (or Apples)- and likely won't remain supported near as long either- but it'll still (potentially) be a huge improvement over the garbage most legacy makers have been slapping on cars in recent years....

(Anybody ever use the CUE system on a caddy when it came out? Yikes)

Director of California’s health department abruptly resigns

Angell held dual roles of Department of Public Health director and state public health officer. The two jobs will be split and filled by Sandra Shewry as acting public health director and Erica Pan as state public health officer. Shewry recently led the nonprofit California Health Care Foundation, and Pan, whose hiring had already been announced, previously served as the public health officer of Alameda County.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e&no_nav=true#link-7CC2K3UOINE7PE76XPWSKFCG44

Lol shortzes. They can hide in their caves, they'll just be their graves, they can't get away from the steamroller that is Tesla. :p

View attachment 574481

I’m pretty sure it was a reaction to the news from NKLA, would not surprise me if MMs take this all the way to lower BB. They apparently reached an agreement with Republic for 2500 garbage trucks.

edit: Nevermind, looks like some people got a discount. Stock recovering now.

I’m pretty sure it was a reaction to the news from NKLA, would not surprise me if MMs take this all the way to lower BB. They apparently reached an agreement with Republic for 2500 garbage trucks.

edit: Nevermind, looks like some people got a discount. Stock recovering now.
I bet you Republic is owned/run by Mormons. Just a hunch. I don't think NKLA's news can affect TSLA though, not in any real way and not based on headlines about pre-sales.
Soooo appropriate that nik's first publicized deal is for GARBAGE trucks though lmao :D

We certainly have been flat these last two weeks.
Will they go for 3 or will their be some announcement this week.
The longer it stays flat the bigger the blaow

Breaking: Tesla Prepares To Enter German Electricity Market on a Grand Scale with Hardware & Software

Tesmanian just posted this, Tesla as a one stop energy shop. This would be a no brainer for me if I didn’t have solar allready. Germany might be more suitable for this then The Netherlands as a lot of people here don’t have their own driveway.
Our house has a sidewalk in front of it, same for many houses in NL, and I’m not allowed to power my future EV with my own power.

Nice info!
Can you eloborate a bit on the "not allowed to power future EV with my own power"? Because you're not allowed to run a charging cable across the sidewalk?

AFAIK Android Automotive is a joint Intel/Google development to include APIs allowing car makers to tailor the software as much as they like for each vehicle- not a generic "same thing goes on every car from every maker" solution.

Mind you- this still doesn't fix a lot of other shortcomings from legacy auto- like their current lack of capability on handling that software work to customize it- or the other issues previous posters raised like long-term driver support or having a lot more non-integrated vendor components to deal with.
That is still pretty limiting in terms of what you can do and can really impact performance.

Tesla rival Nikola scores deal to make thousands of 1,000-horsepower electric garbage trucks

Tesla rival Nikola scores deal to make thousands of 1,000-horsepower electric garbage trucks
I'd bet good money that this is just like their semi contracts. No money down, and the customer can cancel at any time.

“Nikola specializes in heavy-duty, zero-emission Class 8 trucks. The refuse market is one of the most stable markets in the industry and provides long-term shareholder value,” Milton said in a statement.

oh yeah totally, that's my specialty too! lol

Nice info!
Can you eloborate a bit on the "not allowed to power future EV with my own power"? Because you're not allowed to run a charging cable across the sidewalk?

exactly, not allowed, not even with a dedicated cable tray.

we love “gedogen” here though so perhaps I’ll just do it and wait for an official complaint

“Gedogen” is like we have a law that forbids it but nobody upholds it. Same with Weed/Hasj for example, we’re allowed to buy it and Coffeeshops are allowed to sell it but they are forbidden to buy it :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
exactly, not allowed, not even with a dedicated cable tray.

we love “gedogen” here though so perhaps I’ll just do it and wait for an official complaint

“Gedogen” is like we have a law that forbids it but nobody upholds it. Same with Weed for example, we’re allowed to buy it and Coffeeshops are allowed to sell it but they are forbidden to buy it :confused:
How the heck can you not charge your car from your own power? When I first read your comment I assumed it was a physical limitation of placing a charger across public access (sidewalk).
You’re so optimistic. I bought puts for Oct 20 :D
I was wary of close expirations because Wallstreet hasn't figured this out yet from what I can tell. I would say I'm surprised, but these are the same guys who still don't really get Tesla.