Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven’t seen anyone else post this yet (apologies if I missed this).

View attachment 589980

Looks like energy business is getting to a point that Tesla is now leveraging their car sales pages to pump solar!

Bday is going to be AWESOME!

I think Tesla should do bundle discounts and push solar harder. I get 5 phone calls a day from solar companies. The competition in that space is real.

Found this interesting video of an interview with Dr. Tim Holme (CTO of KCAC / Quantum Scape that Tesla co-founder JB Straubel is on the board of).

For those interested in more of the battery technical side , as well as some interesting tidbits of Jeff Dahn history I wasn't aware of, it's worth a watch. There are also a number of Tesla references, and ie pics of Model S batteries.

I'm about 1/2 way through so far

Dr Holmes could have profited from the liberal application of a familial separator. (i.e., farm the kid out to a baby sitter while you are in a zoom/skype presentation)

Buying short term options, yes, that's a pretty good recipe for losing money quickly.

Selling them though...
You said options. I think you mean covered calls. For example, selling short term puts can get ugly very fast.

Options are such a heterogeneous collection of choices that unless you say precisely what you mean you will almost certainly be mostly wrong. There is almost no meaningful statement about "options" that is correct. They can be highly conservative or wildly risky, extremely volatile or hardly move in value at all.

Some weekend ramblings that may or may not be completely off base:

I so often see comments (not here) that TSLA is overrated, too high, in a bubble etc., and it just doesn't make sense to me. Neither does setting a price at which you'll cash out in X months or years. There's no way to know how high the SP will go either short term or long term. Back in December we were talking about if we breached 420, what would the next level be? Would it go below 400 again, or maybe even go up to 5-600 before hitting a range??!

Sure, fundamentals matter to a stock price, but I've been following TSLA for a few years now, and it seems pretty random how much those fundamentals have influenced the SP. Mass media seems to be able to set the sentiment without regard for the actual results, and market makers march to their own rhythm, which has nothing to do with valuing a company fairly and everything to do with making money here and now. Macros (of course) and general sentiment about the stock also seem to have much more importance than the actual fundamentals. During the run-up r/wallstreetbets was in quite a hysteria as regards TSLA (well, more than usual) and there was very little discussion about the fundamentals, aside from "Ford sells X million cars per year" and "Tesla is a tech company". Everybody was trading as a reaction to the SP running up, betting on how much longer the run could go on. Very few people are actually interested in following Tesla, and instead relies on headlines, and we all know how informative those are. Then there's analysts... I think 500 monkeys typing randomly on a keyboard would be able to beat the average analyst.

So, the fundamentals matter, but the way from fundamentals --> stock price goes through 117 jumps and hoops, and the end result has very little relation to those fundamentals.

I have no idea when I will sell, and what the stock price might be then, but I am continuously looking for how much growth there's left in Tesla. And I think most here will agree that the growth has only just started. Tesla is out of the survival phase, and we have just started on the next, and it's going to be so incredibly exciting. It's going to be a long, long while before I touch my shares. On the other hand, I won't invest in Apple. I do think it'll grow - stonks only go up - but I just can't see where their growth is. Maybe they pull their finger out of a certain place and start doing something meaningful, but so far it looks like they're just meandering about the place, with no goal in sight.

Edit: this is mostly a result of various articles on investing and comments on r/investing (don't bother going there) and the like, where you'll get "BUT THE P/E RATIO!!!" thrown in your face.

Found this interesting video of an interview with Dr. Tim Holme (CTO of KCAC / Quantum Scape that Tesla co-founder JB Straubel is on the board of).

For those interested in more of the battery technical side , as well as some interesting tidbits of Jeff Dahn history I wasn't aware of, it's worth a watch. There are also a number of Tesla references, and ie pics of Model S batteries.

I'm about 1/2 way through so far

How hard is it for a partner to keep toddlers away from presenters during these video calls? Gawd it was annoying.

Video did present best overview of lithium ion cell structure I’ve seen. It mostly talks about lithium metal cells. It basically discounts the type of engineering improvements I think we will see Tesla announcing on battery day. So I’m not sure the paper the video discusses is very relevant or accurate on that score. Finally, the paper really shows all the problems with lithium metal cells but no,solutions.

I think Tesla should do bundle discounts and push solar harder. I get 5 phone calls a day from solar companies. The competition in that space is real.
And those calls will only get worse. There's $1.5B in sales cost out there up for grabs, that's billion with a B. Tesla has decided to forego the 1-to-1 sales process and simply sell their offerings online. Absolute THE correct way to go.

They lost customer service and design flexibility when they went in this direction, but they innovate so quickly that apparently the inevitable design changes are already being advertised. This eliminates a major pain point for buyers. Service is a bigger hurdle but easily solved with cash, and unlike sales......service grows in efficiency as you scale.

With prices 30-40% below nearly all competition, they're gonna own residential solar 18 months from now when they have service and onboarding in order. You can file this under another MAJOR product like that will be absurdly profitable in 5 years.

Last edited:
Some weekend ramblings that may or may not be completely off base:

I so often see comments (not here) that TSLA is overrated, too high, in a bubble etc., and it just doesn't make sense to me. Neither does setting a price at which you'll cash out in X months or years. There's no way to know how high the SP will go either short term or long term. Back in December we were talking about if we breached 420, what would the next level be? Would it go below 400 again, or maybe even go up to 5-600 before hitting a range??!

Sure, fundamentals matter to a stock price, but I've been following TSLA for a few years now, and it seems pretty random how much those fundamentals have influenced the SP. Mass media seems to be able to set the sentiment without regard for the actual results, and market makers march to their own rhythm, which has nothing to do with valuing a company fairly and everything to do with making money here and now. Macros (of course) and general sentiment about the stock also seem to have much more importance than the actual fundamentals. During the run-up r/wallstreetbets was in quite a hysteria as regards TSLA (well, more than usual) and there was very little discussion about the fundamentals, aside from "Ford sells X million cars per year" and "Tesla is a tech company". Everybody was trading as a reaction to the SP running up, betting on how much longer the run could go on. Very few people are actually interested in following Tesla, and instead relies on headlines, and we all know how informative those are. Then there's analysts... I think 500 monkeys typing randomly on a keyboard would be able to beat the average analyst.

So, the fundamentals matter, but the way from fundamentals --> stock price goes through 117 jumps and hoops, and the end result has very little relation to those fundamentals.

I have no idea when I will sell, and what the stock price might be then, but I am continuously looking for how much growth there's left in Tesla. And I think most here will agree that the growth has only just started. Tesla is out of the survival phase, and we have just started on the next, and it's going to be so incredibly exciting. It's going to be a long, long while before I touch my shares. On the other hand, I won't invest in Apple. I do think it'll grow - stonks only go up - but I just can't see where their growth is. Maybe they pull their finger out of a certain place and start doing something meaningful, but so far it looks like they're just meandering about the place, with no goal in sight.

Edit: this is mostly a result of various articles on investing and comments on r/investing (don't bother going there) and the like, where you'll get "BUT THE P/E RATIO!!!" thrown in your face.
Concerning the 500 Monkeys project: I am long on that one.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and AZRI11

I couldn't agree more! Transportation (Cars, Truck, SUV, Semi and Hyperloop/Boring Company) , Energy (Solar, Battery, SC Charging Network, AutoBidder), Autonomy (FSD), Engineering/Manufacturing (Gigafactory, alloy metals) and potential partnerships and rumors: SpaceX, Starlink, Neuralink, HVAC, Car Insurance, flame throwers. What other company has a better roadmap for the next 5-10 years?

Anyone got a better list/site than what I just made? It would be interesting to see everything that Tesla has on their roadmap/rumors. Dang, now I gotta find some more dry powder and get some more shares on Monday.

• Funny
Reactions: T3SLA3
barra might be the reason GM won’t go bankrupt in 5 years, if she manages to develop a compelling EV branch

The parallel with legacy IT companies and Cloud transformation is so striking. Companies that don't go agile, and adopt cloud technologies will die a slow death. They all are aware of that, but migrating to cloud from their legacy - some of them still in mainframes - platforms is a very uphill challenge. Culture clash of the old guard, lack of skill set, lack of willingness to invest in the new tech are some of the huge road blockers, seen on both these industries.

I see the same old tired line of questioning that is slowing down cloud migrations in many large IT enterprises:

- Will Cloud actually reduce costs or will it increase IT spending?

Empirical evidence states, if done right Cloud will dramatically reduce costs, but again cost reduction should not be the right motivation. It is agility and time to market should be the drivers. Any cost reductions is icing on the cake. [think of the parallel between savings on fuel between EVs and ICE]

- Cloud is so insecure, how can we put our data and IP there? Our data centers are very secure.

Not true. Cloud could be equally or more secure than applications running in private datacenters - again if done right. Securing your data and applications in cloud require a completely different outlook, tools and technology and no doubt will be challenge for a lot of old guards. But in the end if done right, it will be more secure. [this is somewhat similar to 8 hour recharge time for long distance travel nonsense. The folks who live with EV know that is nonsense, but others don't get it]

To overcome these barriers, many successful companies have created an old-IT and new-IT with fresh young talent. The old guard is left to run the 'lightson operations', and all new capabilities are done only in the cloud, with not a lot of cross pollination between the two. Eventually the intent is to slow sunset the old-IT and the new-IT will be more like a Cloud broker facilitating product owners to get on the cloud highway securely.

Auto companies need to do something like this, and create a new sub-brand for EVs and attract bright talent and invest in it. Yes there will be expense bloat for sometime, but that is inevitable. Otherwise they will die a slow death.

Take Snowflake for instance. If you are an enterprise that is currently doing a lot of data analytics in AWS, then leveraging Snowflake capabilities becomes a breeze. On the other hand if you have a huge footprint with legacy (like Oracle) technology running on-premse data centers, then extricating out of that and using Snowflake capabilities is a huge task. Customers using Snowflake can solve problems with 1/10th of the cost at 1/10th of the time it would take someone to do the same with legacy tech. How do I know? Because I am seeing both sides of the coin in my workplace and I am living it.

This is similar to OTA updates doing magic on an EV drivetrain compared to ICE drivetrains waiting for the next model year.

Last edited:
No discounts. Tesla has the best product and should charge the premium price to finance the mission.
They already offer a discount via self referral.

What they should do is "buy with Solar and we will bundle in a Wall Connector and installation for free". This is essentially the cost of the self referral and also solves the problem of having the customer finding an electrician and crap when the solar team can do it on day of install.

They already offer a discount via self referral.

What they should do is "buy with Solar and we will bundle in a Wall Connector and installation for free". This is essentially the cost of the self referral and also solves the problem of having the customer finding an electrician and crap when the solar team can do it on day of install.

They also already have a bundle discount for buying Powerwalls with your solar. But I like your idea about the Wall Connector!

The next stage for phones is a neuralink implant with access to the internet. Apple already behind Musk.

The next stage for phones is a neuralink implant with access to the internet. Apple already behind Musk.
No. The next stage for phones is inclusion of various augmented reality and virtual reality features. Control by thought will come much later.

But this is irrelevant to Tesla, so why discuss it here?

The parallel with legacy IT companies and Cloud transformation is so striking. Companies that don't go agile, and adopt cloud technologies will die a slow death. They all are aware of that, but migrating to cloud from their legacy - some of them still in mainframes - platforms is a very uphill challenge. Culture clash of the old guard, lack of skill set, lack of willingness to invest in the new tech are some of the huge road blockers, seen on both these industries.

I see the same old tired line of questioning that is slowing down cloud migrations in many large IT enterprises:

- Will Cloud actually reduce costs or will it increase IT spending?

Empirical evidence states, if done right Cloud will dramatically reduce costs, but again cost reduction should not be the right motivation. It is agility and time to market should be the drivers. Any cost reductions is icing on the cake. [think of the parallel between savings on fuel between EVs and ICE]

- Cloud is so insecure, how can we put our data and IP there? Our data centers are very secure.

Not true. Cloud could be equally or more secure than applications running in private datacenters - again if done right. Securing your data and applications in cloud require a completely different outlook, tools and technology and no doubt will be challenge for a lot of old guards. But in the end if done right, it will be more secure. [this is somewhat similar to 8 hour recharge time for long distance travel nonsense. The folks who live with EV know that is nonsense, but others don't get it]
To overcome these barriers, many successful companies have created an old-IT and new-IT with fresh young talent. The old guard is left to run the 'lightson operations', and all new capabilities are done only in the cloud, with not a lot of cross pollination between the two. Eventually the intent is to slow sunset the old-IT and the new-IT will be more like a Cloud broker facilitating product owners to get on the cloud highway securely.

Auto companies need to do something like this, and create a new sub-brand for EVs and attract bright talent and invest in it. Yes there will be expense bloat for sometime, but that is inevitable. Otherwise they will die a slow death.

Take Snowflake for instance. If you are an enterprise that is currently doing a lot of data analytics in AWS, then leveraging Snowflake capabilities becomes a breeze. On the other hand if you have a huge footprint with legacy (like Oracle) technology running on-premse data centers, then extricating out of that and using Snowflake capabilities is a huge task. Customers using Snowflake can solve problems with 1/10th of the cost at 1/10th of the time it would take someone to do the same with legacy tech. How do I know? Because I am seeing both sides of the coin in my workplace and I am living it.

This is similar to OTA updates doing magic on an EV drivetrain compared to ICE drivetrains waiting for the next model year.

Oh, if only Snowflake was all it took to get it "done right". Snowflake is in the wheelhouse of the datawarehousing discipline. There is no mention here of the underlying transactional databases which must feed the data warehouse through the ETL layer. To the extent that this is all about Snowflake running in its proper lane, I agree. However, I disagree that the implication of all this is that Snowflake dispenses with the need for the less glamorous layers underneath the data warehouse.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h
No. The next stage for phones is inclusion of various augmented reality and virtual reality features. Control by thought will come much later.

But this is irrelevant to Tesla, so why discuss it here?

Musk has shown a number of times how he uses synergy between his companies both to share technology and financing. I believe for quite some time SpaceX was a large if not the largest buyer of solarcity bonds. The boring company will also likely help accelerate Tesla before long. I'm sure he has thoughts on how nueralink will fit in with everything. Maybe not worth spending 20 posts on it for now, but for long term investing in Tesla keeping musks other ventures in mind does have some value.

Edit: example: Tesla Dojo + neuralink = leapfrogging boston dynamics bipedal robots

Last edited: