Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Supercharger in Israel is under construction! 8 V3s - Screenshot from israelevclub on Instagram

Tel Aviv.jpg

You can use the term credits or whatever you want. It doesn't change what I was saying. The FUD was that Tesla was limited by only taking working with the ones in their "pool". That's proven to be false. The only market that could explain the increase in Tesla's credit in 2020 is the European one and it would have to be from more than just Fiat's contribution.
@RobStark is right. The pool has to pay penalties to the EU depending on how much the pool's cars exceed emissions limits. The pool members pay Tesla to help them reduce these penalties. How much, how often no one knows.

Could not be better news for Tesla Energy this morning(paywalled, and please ignore the clickbait headline)....

Jigar Shah to Run U.S. Energy Office That Backed Tesla, Solyndra
I used to follow Jigar's podcast for a bit. He accomplished a lot as an entrepreneur and obviously pretty opinionated. It looks like at one point he went to Elon for advice. Elon being who he was, told him he needed to think bigger and that didn't sit well with Jigar. All this is perhaps 5 or more years ago, when Elon didn't have the credibility he now has with a lot of folks.

Fast forward a few years I remember him making not so flattering comments about Tesla's valuation when model 3 was struggling to ramp up.

He was always mildly appreciative of what Elon was doing. In a Bill Gates-ish way. His podcast focused on clean energy and I used to feel he went out of his way to avoid Tesla. Of course a lot of the people he was working with were Tesla Energy competitors and it probably helped.

I do think he's a very good pick for the role, and knows the landscape very well obviously. But I doubt he will go out if his way for Tesla, and I don't think it matters anyways.

Oh, and his ride of choice used to be a e-tron. Haven't kept up with the podcast recently, but perhaps time to catch up.

The Energy Gang | Weekly Business Podcast on Energy, Cleantech and the Environment | Greentech Media

@RobStark is right. The pool has to pay penalties to the EU depending on how much the pool's cars exceed emissions limits. The pool members pay Tesla to help them reduce these penalties. How much, how often no one knows.

Doesn't change the point I was making. Tesla's revenue from credits/payments tripled in 2020 to 1.5 billion. We know Fiat was 300 million of that. We know the previous year from US credit revenue that the US part is about 600 million. So the rest of the credits or payments have to be coming from European auto makers because there's nowhere else in the world that has had an increase of penalties or initiation of carbon penalties in 2020.

If you disagree, well then please by all means give some suggestion on where the other 600 million in credits/payments came from. Whether there are other Euro auto makers in the pool that are undisclosed or some of other way, there's no other explanation as to where that money is coming from

Doesn't change the point I was making. Tesla's revenue from credits/payments tripled in 2020 to 1.5 billion. We know Fiat was 300 million of that. We know the previous year from US credit revenue that the US part is about 600 million. So the rest of the credits or payments have to be coming from European auto makers because there's nowhere else in the world that has had an increase of penalties or initiation of carbon penalties in 2020.

If you disagree, well then please by all means give some suggestion on where the other 600 million in credits/payments came from. Whether there are other Euro auto makers in the pool that are undisclosed or some of other way, there's no other explanation as to where that money is coming from
Fiat merged with Peugeot last year. Stellantis is roughly 4x size of Fiat alone, as I recall. I never saw anything specific if the pool is now Tesla-Stellantis, but it well could be.

edit: OK, here you go. Last year, Tesla pooled with Fiat and Honda. With the merger of PSA and FCA, Tesla is now effectively pooling with Fiat, Peugeot, Opel and Honda.

90270BC7-7FE7-4BC9-A45B-41AB06D5EDB2.jpeg

Last edited:
Fiat merged with Peugeot last year. Stellantis is roughly 4x size of Fiat alone, as I recall. I never saw anything specific if the pool is now Tesla-Stellantis, but it well could be.

edit: OK, here you go. Last year, Tesla pooled with Fiat and Honda. With the merger of PSA and FCA, Tesla is now effectively pooling with Fiat, Peugeot, Opel and Honda.

View attachment 641821

Gotcha, that was the part I was missing :D

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Gotcha, that was the part I was missing :D
The bad news is it looks like PSA-Opel were actually below their emission limits last year, so their inclusion in the pool will actually be diluting the effect of Tesla. The good news is, we've got a whole year to pick the pockets of filthy Honda.

AA207894-94B0-4E15-A30C-8EBE7AFCCAB7.jpeg

edit: or maybe not. The "PI" column stands for "phase-in" which allowed manufacturers/pools to exclude their filthiest 5% of vehicles. That’s gone this year, as I recall. So PSA-Opel may be back in the hole again :D

Last edited:
TSLA Latest After Hours Trades

After Hours Time (ET) | After Hours Price | After Hours Share Volume
17:59:59 $659.14 1
17:59:58 $659.39 1
17:59:58 $659.78 1
17:59:56 $527.60 500

So there's ur 'fugitive' trade blip A/hrs. Likely this is just somebody executing 5 Call contracts at ~ $525 strike price. Note alsan that the contract for those 5 calls could be for any future expiry date, not just for this Friday.

when-a-normie-shows-vou-an-instagram-meme-that-you-already-saw.png

Cheers!

The bad news is it looks like PSA-Opel were actually below their emission limits last year, so their inclusion in the pool will actually be diluting the effect of Tesla. The good news is, we've got a whole year to pick the pockets of filthy Honda.

View attachment 641831

Tesla should send Honda a framed photo of GF Berlin, to thank them for their contribution... :)

I used to follow Jigar's podcast for a bit. He accomplished a lot as an entrepreneur and obviously pretty opinionated. It looks like at one point he went to Elon for advice. Elon being who he was, told him he needed to think bigger and that didn't sit well with Jigar. All this is perhaps 5 or more years ago, when Elon didn't have the credibility he now has with a lot of folks.

Fast forward a few years I rememgber him making not so flattering comments about Tesla's valuation when model 3 was struggling to ramp up.

He was always mildly appreciative of what Elon was doing. In a Bill Gates-ish way. His podcast focused on clean energy and I used to feel he went out of his way to avoid Tesla. Of course a lot of the people he was working with were Tesla Energy competitors and it probably helped.

I do think he's a very good pick for the role, and knows the landscape very well obviously. But I doubt he will go out if his way for Tesla, and I don't think it matters anyways.

Oh, and his ride of choice used to be a e-tron. Haven't kept up with the podcast recently, but perhaps time to catch up.

The Energy Gang | Weekly Business Podcast on Energy, Cleantech and the Environment | Greentech Media
Have to agree with this sentiment. I have been listening to the Energy Gang for years and I would put Jigar in the neutral to positive on Tesla. He is very focused on policy that yields measurable results and like any entrepreneur is keen on action and less 'Jaw-jaw'. He hates big utilities, which he hammers relentlessly on the podcast.

I swore off margin after the big drop in 2019, but I'm curious, are there any drawbacks to increasing your available margin that way? It seems too good to be true. Thanks!
I have sworn off margin a couple of times myself, but apparently I am addicted to "buying the dip". So far it has worked out well :cool:

To answer your question, I suppose you could overdo it and get in trouble if TSLA continues down. I have only bought a few of these cheap puts at a time, and they always expire the same week. I've only used it as a short term fix to avoid selling shares until TSLA rebounds or I can raise more cash.

Nasdaq futures not looking too good (-0.66%). Tomorrow should be interesting.

Nasdaq down 1.3% now.....I smell a capitulation day for the macro's...........

If there's one day we can get TSLA to strongly outperform the macros, tomorrow looks like it may be that day. Come on Ron, say great things in your interview in the morning(like you doubled down)

Last edited:
Interesting development this evening.

Repo market for 10Y traded at record low of -4%, below fails charge, indicating that the 10Y is massively shorted this week and extremely difficult to cover.

Powell may announce an extension of the Supplementary Leverage Ratio easement tomorrow, which could trigger a short squeeze. This means Treasury yields could come down and growth stocks like TSLA could rebound.