Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed after P&D numbers released that Yahoo Finance changed their Q3 2021 Consensus EPS from 1.38 to 1.49
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 4.03.39 PM.png

Some brokers warn people up front that corporate actions may be delayed due to the use of intermediaries. https://www.hl.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/9674978/important-info-overseas-shares.pdf

yes, nice find.
crest is also archaic.
worse than dtcc, and maybe even CDS.

my point only is, i believe a lot of what is claimed to be outright fraud (specifically in the case of the way the split transactions were handled) is actually just antiquated processing and crappy service by many firms. there’s a string of bookkeeping that takes place, and it’s only as fast as the slowest component. nobody wants to jump the gun and make a mistake because then they’ll be exposed in the open market on any error position they incur.

that the process is what it is, for all corporate actions (mergers, splits, etc etc) on the street…for the 1000 events (i mentioned earlier) that didn’t have world vs. tesla status (20bb against), it wouldn’t have mattered if every broker posted the shares on ex or ex+5 for that matter…but when it was the unique tesla case, the results from antiquated processes are now highlighted and a lot gets attributed to wrongdoing because it’s sensationalist and sexy.

same with robinhood. they weren’t secretly in bed with citadel, (not the way that reddit claimed they were) they just didn’t know what the hell they were doing and didn’t capitalize themselves at the same speed and volume at which they let their customer base trade that meme stuff.
of course they are wrong either way…but in that case they were idiots, not criminals. and lying to cover up that fact makes it look like the worst case scenario.

i just think we overestimate or give too much credit to the wall st greed when it came to the way the split transactions, in particular, were handled.

the price action around the split…well that could be completely different. which leads to shorting and buy in rules, and the stuff that lodger has researched and found along w/the stuff hock recounts…it seems pretty solid that something could be wrong there. we’ll likely never prove it, but we know it wasn’t ‘normal’.

and more importantly, now we know what to look for going forward. i suspect if short int isnt sky high the next split go round, we won’t see such fireworks, but a more normalized price gain which generally accompanies the good news of a stock split.

OK OK, ENOUGHUCKING about how to glue cans together.
Use my idea. (It is a helluva lot better than anything I have read here today (or passed over as soon as I read the word "glue" or batteries" ...
I am going to be all elon up in here...
Make the BUS bars out of rebar. (No part is the best part.)
NEXT.
Now please Mods, stop the nonsense. That is the answer.

Aaaaah that is such a pity...
Being a structural (civil) engineer, I was having such a good time reading about batterypack construction.
And it is so easy: buy a lot of beer cans, get top and side plates (don't forget those last ones!) and glue. Make models and start testing.
Much more fun than finite element analysis and you will quickly see what works best.
No need to empty the cans, although it helps in order to have more fun, although results may become slightly less trustworthy.
@Lycanthrope can advise on the brand of beer.

And @lafrisbee : you are totally right of course: enough about this. Back to TSLA investing!
By the way: rebar will not do the trick (sorry, couldn't stop myself 🙃).

Aaaaah that is such a pity...
Being a structural (civil) engineer, I was having such a good time reading about batterypack construction.
And it is so easy: buy a lot of beer cans, get top and side plates (don't forget those last ones!) and glue. Make models and start testing.
Much more fun than finite element analysis and you will quickly see what works best.
No need to empty the cans, although it helps in order to have more fun, although results may become slightly less trustworthy.
@Lycanthrope can advise on the brand of beer.

And @lafrisbee : you are totally right of course: enough about this. Back to TSLA investing!
By the way: rebar will not do the trick (sorry, couldn't stop myself 🙃).
Never seen @Lycanthrope with a can...he seems to be a bottle kind of guy.

Now me on the other hand ...I volunteer to drink a few cans for the test.

I agree. This morning after reading the OP's comment, I talked to a Mechanical Engineer (P.Eng), and he said that bonding the sides of the cylinders would add very little to the sheer strength of the component vs. just bonding the tops and bottoms of the cylinders to the plates.

Last comment on this (which will be so persuasive that all debaters instantly surrender):

Elon didn't say Tesla is "bonding the tops and bottoms of the cylinders to the plates." He said:

"we have a filler [between the cells] that is a structural adhesive as well as flame retardant. So, it effectively glues the cells to the top and bottom sheet"​

So the glue between the cylinders bonds them to the plates, effectively not directly.

I wonder if we are looking at a jig used during manufacturing to originally place the cells in the pack with the correct spacing while they are affixed to the bottom plate, and then it is removed for the remainder of assembly... after which the adhesive bonding the cells themselves can be applied....
maybe. I suggested a stamped honeycomb-sheet for the purpose of spacing out the cells correctly (instead of a 60mm high cast structure).. but also just putting them into a frame, smear a plate with adhesive, put it on there, turn 180°, lift support-structure (that we see in that image) up again & then fill with fire-retardant/epoxy could also be a quick & precise way to assemble it.

My thinking always starts at the assembly-stage. As this is the most expensive step in manufacturing (the one that cuts most in your margins & is under your control) if you use common materials.

Mod: and that really should be the last comment in a technical discussion that has been dragged out for what feels like forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup he's at $2 EPS I think. I'm a bit higher though because I think ASP will be higher than he's forecasting and I also don't think cost of goods went up that much compared to price hikes. So I'm at about $2.12-$2.20, depending on some factors. I'm also expecting EV credits to return to about 450 million for Q3.

One of the big unknown's is the rumored 300-400 million payout Tesla got from Chinese credits.

Last edited:
Yup he's at $2 EPS I think. I'm a bit higher though because I think ASP will be higher than he's forecasting and I also don't think cost of goods went up that much compared to price hikes. So I'm at about $2.12-$2.20, depending on some factors. I'm also expecting EV credits to return to about 450 million for Q3.

One of the big unknown's is the rumored 300-400 million payout Tesla got from Chinese credits.

Earnings will be super-strong, even using ridiculously conservative models.

IMHO, I would not be surprised for Tesla to defer any of this possible extra income until next year when Austin and Berlin are ramping.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rohan
Earnings will be super-strong, even using ridiculously conservative models.

IMHO, I would not be surprised for Tesla to defer any of this possible extra income until next year when Austin and Berlin are ramping.

Are you referring to the EV credits?

That's the only income they could try to decline to recognize until a later date, but even then it's not clear how much flexibility they have there when it comes to when they have to recognize EV credit income, at least as far as I know.

Would love some clarity there though if I'm mistaken.

Reactions: StealthP3D