Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selling 10% doesn't break that promise. In fact, he would still be the largest TSLA shareholder in the world.

And I'm surprised the number of people here who seem to care whether he sells 10% or not. I thought I was hanging with a more enlightened crowd.
Correct because this means nothing in regards to the fundamentals of this company. There is nothing that has changed since last week or last month. If Elon decides to sell some shares of his stock (albeit maybe a large portion in our eyes) then it will recover and move along as it always has and does.

Dave is missing the point. This is not an Elon kneejerk emotional reaction. Paying a significant amount of taxes (which he would have to do in one way or the other anyway) is very important for defanging a lot of government level very dangerous anti Tesla and anti Elon sentiment. Also, at the end of the day, Elon IS rich, paying some taxes is OK, and the amount of taxes paid now ( I think the rate is 20% or 25% of the to be sold shares) IS a VERY small amount of his wealth.

One thing I came to realize with time is that Elon is also a master of influencing governments. Do you think it is an accident he managed to build the only US 100% owned factory in China? Or that he is successfully completing a game changing factory in the heart of Tesla's strongest competitors at the world scale (Germany)? He is using the same skills to control a very hostile US government.

Last edited:
The stock will recover very quickly. In fact, probably t0o quickly for Elon's liking. It is important that the new Berlin and Austin employees profit as much as possible from Tesla shares - makes them rich and happy and loyal to Tesla. Elon saw the stock rising rapidly, this move will also (among may other reasons mentioned above) at least slow down the rise. It needs to slow down for at least a few months when the new factories come in operation.

I criticised Elon in the past. I was wrong almost always (was right on his initial covid reaction), and am certain that Elon very much knows what he is doing now, and that he is successfully playing 4D chess in a very complex political environment.

One thing I have to realize is that Elon is also a master of influencing governments. Do you think it is an accident he managed to build the only US 100% owned factory in China? Or that he is successfully completing a game changing factory in the heart of Tesla's strongest competitors at the world scale (Germany). He is using the same skills to control a very hostile US government.
After taxes, exercising options, paying back debt, would Elon have a few billion left over for politics, lobbying or creating media for influence? Something he's avoided, but as the facts change (UAW/Biden other), Elon adapts. We're beyond early adopters, seems like plenty of demand, but a little education now might be useful to kill off last of ICE. Also, perhaps he sees an opportunity to reduce culture wars & extreme differences?

Starlink Media sounds good.

Yeah, people love to tell other's what they should do with their money. Elon is a big boy and this ain't his first rodeo. I suggest we let him do it however he wants. If it's a poll, I support that because they are Elon's shares with which to do it however he wants.

I feel like I'm part of a big gossip circle where no one can do the smallest, most innocuous thing without everyone judging what they did and how terrible they think it was.

After taxes, exercising options, paying back debt, would Elon have a few billion left over for politics, lobbying or creating media for influence? Something he's avoided, but as the facts change (UAW/Biden other), Elon adapts. We're beyond early adopters, seems like plenty of demand, but a little education now might be useful to kill off last of ICE. Also, perhaps he sees an opportunity to reduce culture wars & extreme differences?

Starlink Media sounds good.

I don't think he will do the standard lobbying - i.e. bribing politicians and media. That would be playing on someone else's playing field, and by their rules - not a strategy a good general would take.

But he definitely wants to reduce culture wars, cancel culture, pervasive wokeness etc. In fact TITS would be an excellent vessel for that, as these negative movements originate mostly in the Ivy League. TITS would be antidote for that - a future world class (perhaps top 5) technology and engineering university, but with freedom of thought, and capitalist mindset, and no cancel culture or wokeness (starting from the name TITS itself :) )

One thing I came to realize with time is that Elon is also a master of influencing governments. Do you think it is an accident he managed to build the only US 100% owned factory in China? Or that he is successfully completing a game changing factory in the heart of Tesla's strongest competitors at the world scale (Germany)? He is using the same skills to control a very hostile US government.

I agree, but I must say, I never thought I would see the day that you started to sound like me!

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is about Elon possibly selling 10% of his shares, or 2% of all TSLA shares in the market.

Sure TSLA might go down in the short term. But Tesla is firing on all cylinders, it's financials are stronger than ever, and the CEO selling some of his shares just doesn't change any of that.

Think where TSLA will be this time next year with both Berlin and Austin producing at volume, with FSD having another year of improvements, with a very probably investment grade status, with some Semi's being produced, and the Cybertruck either in early production or nearly so.

My strategy remains unchanged, HODL.

Qr9ls66.jpg

For myself, one of the primary reasons I own Tesla is Elon’s attitude regarding selling shares. His tenacity toward any and all challenges (financial and otherwise) facing Tesla makes me an investor.

I would suggest you might not have the tools to know what Elon's financial position entails. And no one is forcing you to be a shareholder. So, if you don't like Elon's attitude towards selling shares, then sell yours. Elon was here first.

I commend @Gigapress for presenting the case of ATT. The demise of Bell Labs was truly unfortunate - and by no means merely for Ma Bell and her progeny - but for this country and for the world. As a generator and incubator for such a myriad of ideas and products its role in bringing and maintaining the United States as a developer of benefits was staggering.

As far as shareholder value? The breakup probably created more value. We cannot be sure, because although those who kept their splintered shares in the emergent Baby Bells saw that group smartly outpace the S&P 500 for many years, we still only can make suppositions at how a unified ATT might have done. Me? I believe it would not have performed so well. Regardless: to have ensured the extinction of Bell Labs - that was the unnecessary and societally destructive shame.

I also - as anyone who reads my missives well knows - am well in @Gigapress’s camp regarding just what long term investing is...although for me his “forty years” is just one step. Even I expect still to be investing in forty years. Say what you will - and I do encourage such discussion - about multi-generational investing and its benefits and drawbacks both for one’s descendants as well as for society - I champion it and encourage others at least to use it conceptually as a framework for fashioning their own investment strategies and time horizons.

By the way, ATT’s research lab was not the sole one created in the 20th century. One of the reasons I long held that Jack Welch neither was the savior of GE nor the CEO of the Century but the Rasputin who would destroy it from within was that, during his 1980s & ‘90s time at the helm he systematically turned the company effectively into a mere financial services organization, and away from its glorious tradition (begun by, yes, that Mr Edison whom we at TMC like to denigrate) of having been at the forefront of development and innovation in so many industrial sectors: electrical, electronic, chemical, broadcasting, and many others. A full-fledged research lab unto itself.
I started with Bell Labs and we were sold off eventually passing though post Jack GE.

Bell Labs had better research that was also more connected to the customer. We also had better volleyball and operating systems that just worked. AT&T was arrogant and not very good at business and had institutionalized hiding costs.

The GE system disconnected research from the customer. I expected more. But understand that Jack messed it up. Too much hierarchy. Not flat like Bell Labs. Thank you for explaining that Jack messed it up. Mystery solved.

Can we somehow manage to combine two ideas?

1.) Elon is awesome.
2.) Elon can make dumb AF tweets and plays right into the hands of TSLAQ and funds who want to do some damage (poor uncle Leo)

If you want to incentivize stock options for Giga Berlin and Giga Texas, dilute the stock and give them more shares. More sensible than achieving it through an intentional tank and go look - now it's only 900. You'll see 1200 again. 33% free equity. LOL

and here's the opinion of someone whom is universally respected in the Tesla space.

1636246349621.png

Last edited:
I see a majority of Americans voting yes, internationally I’m not sure. This is far too important to be decided on Twitter.
I just tried to vote: must have a twitter account and be signed in to vote. I don't, therefore I can't. Lame.

I'm a twit, but I can't tweet, therefore I can't vote. What kind of country is this anyway?

/s

Hey by the way; anyone think the SEC is going to have a problem with this tweetery?

Last edited: