Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why worry so much about these 2.000 cars? Yes it is waste, but in the grand scheme of things only less than half a day of current Tesla global production.

Well I think this would be something environmental conscious people in Germany should react to. Throwing away 2000 fully working cars? Not very sustainable.

🤷‍♀️

Glad to see some cheering up finally on TMC!

1645741320425.png

Elon never tweeted when he would be doing the sales. He only asked people's opinion on whether he should. No one should have known it was Elon selling until he filled the Form 4 with the SEC about 3 days afterward.

Further, he never did "sell 10% of his shares", it was more like 1% of the shares he owned going into Nov, on which he would pay only the 20% Capital Gains tax.

For all the rest of his sales, Elon sold the legal minimum required to pay the ~52% income tax due at the time of excerise for his vested stock options from his 2012 CEO compensation plan. Elon never got a penny of those sales in cash, he only got the ownership of the shares (which were down ~40% in value at the Open this a.m.)

It was in fact the Gov't that got all the cash from Elon's stock sales thru the remainer of Nov/Dec '21, to the tune of roughly $15B in taxes withheld by his broker, then paid to the G. And promptly denied by Sen. Karen. :p
All of this is true. But all of us knew that the week following that twitter poll we would be in for a rough ride, so I'm not sure how we can claim SEC leak after the fact when it was indeed Elon who telegraphed that he would be selling a large amount of stock in the last 1.5 months of the year.

I vote for Tesla using the 2000 test Ys from GigaBerlin in a FSD test environment. Create a little fake village with various tricky intersections etc and have the cars completely driverless. Then every day slowly increase the maximum speed of the vehicles. Would love to see the end result of that.
Maybe they can use all the vacant parking lots they are leasing to store the unsold cars :cool:

German here:
Can confirm that Tesla is not allowed to sell cars produced during this testing phase at Giga Berlin. Furthermore, Tesla is not allowed to sell parts or car bodies produced during the testing phase as a part of a car. Tesla also has to provide documentation to a governmental agency about the whereabouts of produced parts. In case of a disposal, Tesla has to provide more detailed paperwork.

So, based on my reading: Tesla is not allowed to sell the cars, but they are also not specifically required to destroy them. However, I really don't know how they could be used otherwise (maybe as a transportation vehicle on side).

@avoigt let us know if I missed something important here.
eww eww eeww Mister Kotter!
I got it I got it...
Tesla CAN use them in the robo taxi fleet!

I vote for Tesla using the 2000 test Ys from GigaBerlin in a FSD test environment. Create a little fake village with various tricky intersections etc and have the cars completely driverless. Then every day slowly increase the maximum speed of the vehicles. Would love to see the end result of that.
That could double as a first responder exercise.

Lol, nothing like a good experiment I say! Not a fake village, do a real one I say.

Salable product waiting for approval (like Austin)
IMO whether or not a car can be legally sold should have nothing to do with when/how it was produced, and everything to do with if it complies with required roadworthy specs within required tolerances.

Once Berlin is legally approved if an expert can't tell the difference between one of these early builds and a build for the final legally approved product line, then the cars are functionally identical. Driving one of these 2,000 pre-approval builds would represent no additional risk over a final build.

I know the law can be illogical, and I have no knowledge of German law, but for those making the case that these cars can't be sold is there a particular law you think applies?

We need one of our knowledgeable German forum members to step in with accurate information, as they often need to do in relation to Giga berlin.

IMO whether or not a car can be legally sold should have nothing to do with when/how it was produced, and everything to do with if it complies with required roadworthy specs within required tolerances.

Once Berlin is legally approved if an expert can't tell the difference between one of these early builds and a build for the final legally approved product line, then the cars are functionally identical. Driving one of these 2,000 pre-approval builds would represent no additional risk over a final build.

I know the law can be illogical, and I have no knowledge of German law, but for those making the case that these cars can't be sold is there a particular law you think applies?

We need one of our knowledgeable German forum members to step in with accurate information, as they often need to do in relation to Giga berlin.
The issue is the permit that allowed them to build the cars before final permit approval specifically called out that neither the vehicles nor parts manufactured were salable. Part of that is tied to the lines only being allowed to operate to get them able to produce in-spec parts. Thus, once a car met requirements, production would stop.
What I'm unclear on is that this was an extension to the previous permits and I don't know what those had for terms.
Could the salable restriction be retroactively changed after final approval? Possibly.
However, without that, if pushed, Germany could prevent both their registration and export.

Has this been posted? If so, sorry about the duplicate.

Elon Musk: A new factory in the middle of the United States is being built to produce electric pickups​

2022-02-212 mins readElectronic

Netease Technology News March 11 news, according to foreign media reports, Tesla CEO Elon Musk (Elon Musk) said on Twitter that he is selecting a location for a new factory in “Central America”.
Musk tweeted that the factory will produce the company’s upcoming Cybertruck pickup. “In the process of researching the location of the Cybertruck Gigafactory, it will be located in the middle of the United States.”
One of the new plant locations the company is considering is Nashville, Tennessee, according to a source familiar with Tesla’s plans. Musk later said in an email to The Wall Street Journal, “The location considerations include local government incentives, logistics costs, adequacy of various types of talent, and quality of life.”

Tennessee is the center of the auto manufacturing industry, and many auto suppliers such as General Motors, Nissan, and Volkswagen already operate in the state.
Interesting if true-GM has an EV plant in Spring Hill, Ford is building a plant (battery and assy if I remember correctly) outside of Memphis and Nissan has the Smyrna plant, not sure if they are building EVs there though. Of course VW in Chattanooga.

ETA, also from the article:
The Cybertruck was released last November and will be available this November. According to Musk, the initial orders exceeded expectations.
So probably not a real credible source.

Last edited: