Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a safety standpoint, I would hope folks would purchase heavy duty 14-50 receptacle adn not the cheap one you can find at a big box store. The heavy duty runs about $85 and will protect your home better as it is designed to handle the high voltage electrons for long periods of time.

full disclosure: I installed the wall charger altho I certainly do not need it.
Hmm.

Have used two NEMA 14-50's from the Big Box store since 2013.

Never had an issue, but we only plug/unplug them about once a year. What am I missing here?

No need or desire for a Wall Connector and suspect Elon is looking for yet another margin enhancer with this change. Good for the stock/bad for future buyers . . . MOD: FINAL warning: zero more on this OT subject here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently moved to a brand new house in a young town in which every home garage comes with a NEMA 14-50 electrical outlet. When my Model 3 was delivered early last month, it came with a charging kit in the trunk. But that did not include a NEMA 14-50 adapter, which Tesla stopped providing as part of the charging kit some time ago. Since my local Tesla store did not have the NEMA 14-50 adapter, I had to purchase it online for $45 from Tesla and wait for FedEx delivery.

Tesla car owners in my town have no real need for a Wall Connector. As more new home garages are built with Level 2 electrical outlets, the need for a charging kit and Level 2 adapters grows. Let's see how Tesla eventually reacts.
Pray tell, where/what intelligent town is this?!?

Very, very smart and I wish other municipalities would get ahead of the curve on the massive shift to EV's, but I live in Texas so let's just say we'll be late adopters . . . .

I guess we are heading for blowout earnings. The FUDometer is into the red:

Attachments

• 07A284C1-6AB6-4626-9FDE-87BC8A10A1BD.jpeg
    07A284C1-6AB6-4626-9FDE-87BC8A10A1BD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 240
Hmm.

Have used two NEMA 14-50's from the Big Box store since 2013.

Never had an issue, but we only plug/unplug them about once a year. What am I missing here?

No need or desire for a Wall Connector and suspect Elon is looking for yet another margin enhancer with this change. Good for the stock/bad for future buyers . . . .
Plugging/unplugging is just one of the issues. The heat generated by long charging time is the most worrisome issue (it could melt the plug)!

I don't recall this video being posted last week. For anyone like me who may have missed it (it's in English):

Wow! I try not to be negative, but that was a really bad interview. Again, nothing new answer-wise, and very similar in substance to the TED talk. Some of the questions were crazy, and with no real continuity. Also, Elon was very laid back/chill, so it was a struggle to stay awake. There was zero chemistry between them, and none of the questions got him excited. Again, just my $0.02.

So down day on Thursday?
I would not surprised at all to see a down day Thursday. MM's move a lot faster than big investment banks who need some time to process earnings and update their models. While they pause, MM's swoop in to convince the market blowout earnings are actually bad news.

Not that I'm predicting a standard sell-the-news reaction. I'm actually thinking we see blastoff here, simply because general sentiment seems to think we won't. Even posters here are pretty much expecting a drop. That's when it pops.

This report from Automobilwirsch that Tesla is targeting 30k production from Berlin in 2022…doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

1) The same report says Tesla is targeting 1k/week by the end of April. There are 35 weeks between then and the end of the year. Tesla will be closed for 3 of them to switch to 4680s, leaving 32 weeks. That’s already 32k production assuming they stop growing between May and December. They will keep growing.

2) Giga Shanghai historically ramped approximately 3x this pace, and Berlin should be faster because it has learnings and newer technology implemented.

3) At the Giga Berlin speech Elon said they’re aiming for 5-10k weekly production by the end of the year, implying production this year would be more like 80-160k units,which is more in line with point #2 above.

30k from Berlin this year seems super low. That's just going to offset Shanghai's losses. :confused:
That forecast does not make sense. According to bloomberg they say 1000/week by the end of April. If you just keep that constant until the end of 2022, you get more than 20k just for May-Dec. I am going with @avoigt that this is just a bad educated guess:
EDIT: Late to the party but I swear I didn´t read @Gigapress post above before writing this 😂

Last edited:
Seems like a weird shot in the dark. The same article says they are targeting 5-10k per week by the end of the year. Just as a stretch, say they hit 10k per week on Dec 11... they could theoretically hit 30k to end the year (I'm ignoring holiday realities to make a point).
Yeah. Just taking the 1000/wk end of April and the lowest estimate of 5000/wk end of year assuming a linear ramp gets us to an average of 3000/wk for May-Dec, which would get us to above 100,000 (also neglecting holidays).

I too, have lost my conviction in ARK but plan to let it ride. My investments in ARK funds account for <%1 of my assets. I don’t mind moonshot ideas but I have a 60+ year time horizon, so I continue to hold. Some of these companies contained in their funds will, without a doubt, change the world in profound ways.

To answer your question, it may be prudent to put a small percentage of your assets into Bitcoin as an inflation hedge. Tesla deemed this to be the case and I do not pretend to know more than they do. I have know about Bitcoin for many years and even mined some Dogecoin back in the early days. I did not acquire any BTC until the news broke that Tesla had done so. This lead me to Michael Saylor and the rest of the bitcoin Community. At the risk of going to far off topic, even for the weekend, I’ll end it. *laser eyes*
What are you, born in 2032 and negative 10 years old? My plan is to be "retirement able" from a financial sense at 50 years old. $TSLA has made that plan much more likely to happen.

Great discussion about alternatives to de-risk from a $TSLA heavy portfolio. I'm a fan of the S&P 500 and a bit of cash for less volatility.

I would not surprised at all to see a down day Thursday. MM's move a lot faster than big investment banks who need some time to process earnings and update their models. While they pause, MM's swoop in to convince the market blowout earnings are actually bad news.

Not that I'm predicting a standard sell-the-news reaction. I'm actually thinking we see blastoff here, simply because general sentiment seems to think we won't. Even posters here are pretty much expecting a drop. That's when it pops.

In any event, got my tax return today which included the rebate for my solar project this past year so dumped it into more shares this morning at an avg cost of $977.

“You will never be able to recharge an EV in two minutes like you refuel now..."

Good luck with that dude!
These folks never start the timer (for a refuel stop) when one begins to interrupt a current drive from point a to point b to get to the pump in the first place…

I took delivery of a TM3 on 01 June 2018, and the drive home was a two hour freeway trip followed by a three km leg from the freeway exit to home.

My wife was driving her ICE back home as well (we both travelled in her car to the delivery center).

At the end of the off ramp, I turned left and headed directly home (to then spend 10 seconds plugging in my car in my garage).

At the end of the off ramp, my wife had to turn right and head into town to gas up…she got home 14 minutes after I did.

So her refuelling event was a total of 14 minutes, including the “two minutes“ when the petroleum was actually flowing into her fuel tank.

Well that was a weird day. The market doesn't know what to do. Red green red green...ended on a "high note".
I'm counting on low volume to continue right thru Wednesday. War, recessions, supply chain. Here's hoping all this weighs on everyone's mind and we skip the FOMO. I want a rational financials-based explosion in SP this time around.

I'm counting on low volume to continue right thru Wednesday. War, recessions, supply chain. Here's hoping all this weighs on everyone's mind and we skip the FOMO. I want a rational financials-based explosion in SP this time around.
Ha, Tsla is controlled by option buying. People who buy these short term options are not what I call making financially responsible decisions but more inline with gamblers.

Good news/ bad news for Mach-E.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E is no longer available to order in any trim level for retail customers in the United State
….
Although Ford notes that high demand is the reason for the pull, it might be more complicated than that. Like almost every automaker, Ford is dealing with supply chain constraints.

Due to the vehicle’s popularity, Ford elected to triple production of the Mach-E in Mexico by 2023.

Ford is tripling capacity to?? 150k/ year? They didn’t ship 50k, but that’s their stated capacity i thought.

Unfortunately for Ford, Tesla is bringing additional online in 2022. Total Model Y production will be 6-10x Ford’s 2023 goal, likely by end of 2022.

Ford started production about a year beyond the Model Y and is promising to match Tesla’s year 1 production 2+ years later.