Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon at Cyber Rodeo:

Key word there is "dedicated".

From the Q1 call:

A dedicated robotaxi platform would not just be a regular passenger vehicle form with the pedals and wheel removed.
That seems like a missed opportunity to simplify production and leverage part commonality. Does a robotaxi need a drastically different configuration than a smaller passenger vehicle?

A dedicated robotaxi platform would not just be a regular passenger vehicle form with the pedals and wheel removed.

Sure the Robotaxi might not be the exact same car as the 30K compact Tesla with just the pedals/steering wheel removed, BUT I do believe they will both be the same Gen 3 platform. Basically the same car underneath but with changes above the chassis.

From a high volume manufacturing point of view it makes extreme sense to make the RT and the 30K cars nearly identical. This would greatly leverage costs and efficiencies, both of which Elon has repeatedly stated they will be doing for Gen 3. In order to make an EV at half the cost of the 3 & Y you truly need to leverage every advantage possible, and designing Gen 3 to be a common multi-purpose high volume platform would be very logical.

So, in essence, I agree a little bit but mostly disagree with you statement above. I do feel the RT and 330K cars will be 90% identical. :cool:

Let's hope Gary heard right!

GBT.png

On Twitter Gary Black says "We heard from new potential 3P equity sources that the deal will close Friday." In a Twitter Elon context.

Let's hope Gary heard right!

View attachment 866467

On Twitter Gary Black says "We heard from new potential 3P equity sources that the deal will close Friday." In a Twitter Elon context.
Some people are saying the Musk Foundation has over 5.7B(which were shares transferred over this year). However I feel like realizing those shares into cash is still a sell of Tsla stocks.

Unless....there's some loophole where there's some kind of tax savings using the foundation to purchase Twitter without realizing the cash.

Last edited:
What I find astounding is not that it's spicy, it's hearing people seriously debate whether analysts have ulterior motives or not. Every self-respecting investor for over 3 decades knows they do, it's not up for debate. It's incredibly naive to think they get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for their "research and analysis" and then just publish it far and wide for everyone to use for free. Everyone but the most gullible knows that brokerage analysts are just one more tool to get you to part with your money.

If you let the stated opinions of brokerage analysts influence you in any way (other than as a contrarian influence), then you deserve whatever comes your way. No one is paying them to help Joe Public Investor and it didn't take me long to learn this shortly after I started following the markets over 30 years ago. I thought almost everyone knew that.

Sounds understandable!

Because the Chinese manufacturers were likely planning on sourcing most of their materials from their established Chinese supply chains. It's very likely without big changes to their supply chain cars made with their US made cells wouldn't qualify for the IRA rebates. That means someone like Panasonic and Tesla who are far less reliant on a Chinese supply chain have a big head start.
Since the requirements only get tougher over the years they wound eventually need to build out a parallel supply chain for US buyers. I'm sure their original plan involved building a cell factory and leaving anode and/ or cathode production in China. This is no longer feasible. At the very least, it's a reset.

It was a boss move on Tesla's part to prefer a local supply chain. It's what makes it possible to play nice in all sorts of situations, including China. And it's what will make it favorable to have integrated plants in Indonesia, Canada, and maybe Australia in the future.

I am particularly interested in how Tesla will set up a European supply chain for its cells. Perhaps Europe production will skew toward iron chemistries?

That doesn't mean that the Robotaxi is the only Gen 3 vechicle.

Agreed.... as noted it'd make drastically more sense to have the "small euro car" on the same platform.. the "dedicated" talk sounds a lot like Elon again being overly optimistic on wen L5.

FSD needs regulatory approval

We've covered this a fair bit in the past.

FSD doesn't need regulatory approval in at over half a dozen US states. If Tesla had it working, it'd be legal to deploy today in those states with no further approvals needed. Including in most cases in commercial and ridesharing fleets.

Those states combined have almost 30% of the population of the entire US in them.

So for the initial ramp anyway there'd be tons and tons of places to send those cars and not need to wait on anything other than the fact Tesla doesn't actually have a working RT system yet.

It's that last part is why it makes no sense to starting building a factory for a dedicated platform for something that doesn't yet exist and the company has routinely been wrong about predicting when it will exist.

Apparently more than others I've got faith in Teslas design and engineering that they can build a car with a steering wheel and pedals for the small model and then, if/when needed, make relatively minor manufacturing changes to produce cheap RTs on that platform when they actually have a working L5 system.

I'd add that the place "regulators" much more come into play is outside the US.... Inside as mentioned nearly 1/3rd the US population already has approved L5 if the thing existed... and once deployed there and working safely I expect the rest of the US to follow suit quickly in allowing it.

It's China and especially the EU where you're going to have regulatory hurdles--- Even the current L2 non-FSD system is semi crippled by regulation there, let alone anything more advanced... and the EU in particular is where you need a small vehicle sooner rather than later anyway, so making one you can actually sell/deliver without waiting on L5 to exist makes a lot more sense.

And while we're discussing smaller vehicles that can share a platform... I kinda wonder if they could do one that could be shared to produce BOTH:
Some sort of smallish van/local delivery vehicle/people mover- which would also be useful for RT someday and for boring tunnels to hold more people
AND
A smaller pickup since the CT is too big for EU

Last edited:
Sure the Robotaxi might not be the exact same car as the 30K compact Tesla with just the pedals/steering wheel removed, BUT I do believe they will both be the same Gen 3 platform. Basically the same car underneath but with changes above the chassis.

From a high volume manufacturing point of view it makes extreme sense to make the RT and the 30K cars nearly identical. This would greatly leverage costs and efficiencies, both of which Elon has repeatedly stated they will be doing for Gen 3. In order to make an EV at half the cost of the 3 & Y you truly need to leverage every advantage possible, and designing Gen 3 to be a common multi-purpose high volume platform would be very logical.

So, in essence, I agree a little bit but mostly disagree with you statement above. I do feel the RT and 330K cars will be 90% identical. :cool:
That's pretty much what I meant. The skateboard chassis and powertrain will probably be mostly the same. I was just saying the cabin and exterior are not likely to just be the same thing as the compact car with the wheel and pedals deleted.

On the topic of supply chains, how local sourcing can enhance Tesla’s opportunities in some countries and regions, and what may happen in Latin America -

An interesting development this week is that the Brazilian behemoth Vale*, which depending on the year is the world’s #1, 2 or 3 largest producer of iron ore (and has its own steel mills, too), but also is a very large producer of nickel, copper and significant in manganese, announced that it will be dividing itself into separate entities with one containing all the Cu and Ni (and presumably associated metals). This could smoothly facilitate creating relationships with firms like Tesla, as well as make it easier to receive governmental blessings. Brazil has no Li-rich salars, unlike its high-altitude western neighbors, although conceivably spodumene could be present in interesting quantities in the pegmatite zones of, e.g., Minas Gerais. Regardless, were Tesla truly interested in establishing a LatAm manufacturing presence, following the break-up of Vale should be recommended.

Vale has been integral in the economic development of Brazil for most of a century and, although I’m no longer acquainted with management, its iconic long-term leader Eliezer Batista worked well both with the military junta and civilian leaders, leaving a legacy that bodes well for it, the terrible debacle of the Brumadinho dam failure notwithstanding.

* “Vale” is pronounced VAH-lay, even in English, coming from the Portuguese word for valley. The company’s original name derives from its origins, where it first mined iron: Cia Vale do Rio Doce (aka CVRD). In full English, that would be “Sweet River Valley Company”, which I’ve always thought rather….sweet.😇

** Disclosure: I first met Dr. Eliezer in 1974 - I was even younger then than I am now! - and stayed in close contact with him and his more....colorful...son up to the time I departed for Alaska. An analysis of CVRD's international trade policies and financings formed two or three chapters of my doctoral dissertation.

Color commentary from @unk45 expected momentarily.

Forward Observing

in late Sep, early Oct 2017, I visited the Fremont plant in California. FYI ~ employee showed me his Model 3 which included baby car seat. He used a credit card size car key to unlock the car. The car seats were too hard for my old butt. During the tour there were only two 3s waiting to be painted. Loads of frame parts staged for assembly. I was also told by this young person, that reservations were in the hundreds of thousands.

Take away, based on some recent comments/discussions, the credit card size key access was an early design concept. Was this an employee staged for comments/input from investors/customers?

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
OT (but it is Saturday after all)

Well after setting up Nord VPN on my phone, I was able to stream "The Elon Musk Show" on the BBC last night. Watched the first two episodes and all I can say is Wow! Very informative and non-biased documentary about Elon's life, shown for the most part in chronological order. With interviews from former employees, his first two wives, and his mother Maye, it's a great insight of why Elon acts and thinks the way he does. What really struck me and is staying with me is Elon's composure in the face of adversity, when people he idolized turn against him, and when faced with extreme FUD (remember the early fire crisis with the S?). Frankly I don't know how he does it, I'd be screaming, pulling my hair out, and calling folks every expletive in the book!

Anyway, I very highly recommend this 3 part series. I thought I knew a lot about Elon, but not as much as I thought. I'm planning on watching the third and final episode in the series today and I'm really looking forward to it! While I streamed it, it is readily available on YouTube as well. Definitely worth your time!

Edit: Looks like episode 3 won't be available until Wednesday the 25th after it's aired on BBC2. Can't wait and as @Singuy says it looks like it will be scandalous, but based on the rest of the series, it should be as non-biased as possible.

Last edited:
OT (but it is Saturday after all)

Well after setting up Nord VPN on my phone, I was able to stream "The Elon Musk Show" on the BBC last night. Watched the first two episodes and all I can say is Wow! Very informative and non-biased documentary about Elon's life, shown for the most part in chronological order. With interviews from former employees, his first two wives, and his mother Maye, it's a great insight of why Elon acts and thinks the way he does. What really struck me and is staying with me is Elon's composure in the face of adversity, when people he idolized turn against him, and when faced with extreme FUD (remember the early fire crisis with the S?). Frankly I don't know how he does it, I'd be screaming, pulling my hair out, and calling folks every expletive in the book!

Anyway, I very highly recommend this 3 part series. I thought I knew a lot about Elon, but not as much as I thought. I'm planning on watching the third and final episode in the series today and I'm really looking forward to it! While I streamed it, it is readily available on YouTube as well. Definitely worth your time!
Part 3 is gonna be more scandalous just based on the preview and we know some of Musk's critics haven't showed up. I don't even know what is going to come out of Elon's father's mouth.

Agreed.... as noted it'd make drastically more sense to have the "small euro car" on the same platform.. the "dedicated" talk sounds a lot like Elon again being overly optimistic on wen L5.

We've covered this a fair bit in the past.

FSD doesn't need regulatory approval in at over half a dozen US states. If Tesla had it working, it'd be legal to deploy today in those states with no further approvals needed. Including in most cases in commercial and ridesharing fleets.

Those states combined have almost 30% of the population of the entire US in them.

So for the initial ramp anyway there'd be tons and tons of places to send those cars and not need to wait on anything other than the fact Tesla doesn't actually have a working RT system yet.

It's that last part is why it makes no sense to starting building a factory for a dedicated platform for something that doesn't yet exist and the company has routinely been wrong about predicting when it will exist.

Apparently more than others I've got faith in Teslas design and engineering that they can build a car with a steering wheel and pedals for the small model and then, if/when needed, make relatively minor manufacturing changes to produce cheap RTs on that platform when they actually have a working L5 system.

I'd add that the place "regulators" much more come into play is outside the US.... Inside as mentioned nearly 1/3rd the US population already has approved L5 if the thing existed... and once deployed there and working safely I expect the rest of the US to follow suit quickly in allowing it.

It's China and especially the EU where you're going to have regulatory hurdles--- Even the current L2 non-FSD system is semi crippled by regulation there, let alone anything more advanced... and the EU in particular is where you need a small vehicle sooner rather than later anyway, so making one you can actually sell/deliver without waiting on L5 to exist makes a lot more sense.

And while we're discussing smaller vehicles that can share a platform... I kinda wonder if they could do one that could be shared to produce BOTH:
Some sort of smallish van/local delivery vehicle/people mover- which would also be useful for RT someday and for boring tunnels to hold more people
AND
A smaller pickup since the CT is too big for EU
Hands off non-geofenced but still requires a safety driver is actually not part of any of the Level of autonomy. This I think does need some kind of approval for mass release. And like you said, many states doesn't need regulatory approval, but that also means geofencing(FSD Beta wide release only going to states without regulatory approval) which is not Tesla's intent.

Weekend OT:

Base free color should be “random”, Tesla can deliver whichever they have on the lot, and we don’t get that many white ones around.

Win-win, also, delivery day gets more existing, “which color will I get?”

😈
White is actually the most preferred color for any car because it's easy to keep clean, provides stark contrast against dark asphalt, doesn't go out of style, conceal scratches and dents, it doesn't absorb sunlight, and it's most likely the free color.

In China, over 50% of new cars bought are white.

Larry Elison bought millions of TSLA shares after he joined the Board. Tell us what value Hiro Mizuno brought to the Aug 2020 share dividend and cap raise? Now tell us how the Founder of AirBnB will affect the rollout of the Tesla Network / Robotaxi?
OK, you're cherry-pick two positives and one potential, although I don't consider "bought millions of shares" much of an accolade, nice but so what? Didn't see much else from either since then. What about, for instance, Wilson-Thompson? I never saw anything from her except selling off her free shares, $52M the last two years, what does she do?

I mean where's the board when Elon decides to dump all his shares on the open market, when he could very well have sold them via an offering, dark-pools, whatever...

Maybe they're very active behind the scenes, seriously, I don't know, from the outsider's point of view they're invisible and anonymous (other than the SEC filings for share sells)

1666424983887.png

Options gamblers, maybe. Actual TSLA shareholders haven't been harmed unless they sold. Maybe the SEC can fix that for them? :p

I still own every single one of my TSLA shares. In fact, many TSLA long investors now have more TSLA shares than after AI Day 2.
This arrogant, snobby response is very old and boring. Sure, option traders indeed have nothing to complain about, I agree. But what about those holding long for some time that need to sell now for some reason or another, how fair is it on them?

It's reckless behaviour from Elon, no doubt about it, but I also accept that it's part-and-parcel of what you get when you invest with Tesla, not my first rodeo for sure...

I can imagine it's a bit off-putting to more traditional and/or institutional investorsge