Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And there was no silicon in the anode when Sandy opened it up a while back. (Which can improve density up to 30-40%).
That number may be more along the lines of the theoretical limit that a silicon anode can accomplish, however there are other factors, such as expansion/fracturing, that make this not likely achievable for an automotive cell, at least currently.

The previous Tesla cells with silicon doped anode only saw a 6% energy density increase. At Battery Day, Tesla stated their 4680 cell would see about a 20% improvement... this is likely due their "prefracturing" approach, which reduces the overall amount of silicon anode density, but also avoids the subsequent fracturing that degrades the cell...

Last edited:
I hate that I have to sell a chunk today - of all days - to cover some expenses. :-(

Update on wttlloyd's note on Y availability in the Bay Area: As of this morning, I count 32 Model Y's available for December delivery within 50 miles of Sunnyvale....

I don't find this all that surprising - Sunnyvale is just 20 miles from Fremont, which is pumping out cars everyday.

CRAZY YEAR…

But, who else is excited to get their “Burnt Hair” by Singed in Q1? I think Elon knew what is coming and how many shareholders will be burnt because they played with fire (read that as margin). Me included...

So, he made us a thing to always remind us of this year. I'll display mine in a glass case to see it everyday and remind myself of this crazy times. Lessons learned the hard way are the best, they say.

And he definitely has something in store to burn the 🩳, hedgies and MM. I mean, hopefully, right? Right?!?!?

We all need to face the facts that demand is way down and its not just for Tesla, Its for almost all EV's. When Gas prices was pushing $5-$6 a gallon everyone turned towards EV's and now gas is back down to $3 and the demand has dropped considerable. The days of waiting 6-12 months for a Tesla to come in is over and they have plenty of inventory sitting all over the US (I have never seen so many Model S vehicles ready for immediate sale) and they are having trouble moving them even with offering the $7500. It will take a long time to recover and there is probably more down side.

As opposed to the "Everything Elon really sucks" delusion? :rolleyes:
Everything doesn't suck. I'm holding to my shares because I think I will still have a good return from here based on my time horizon, despite my misgivings about recent events. But you simply cannot say that selling the stock to avoid a worst case scenario for Twitter is actually a "good sign" for Tesla. That's ridiculous.

We all need to face the facts that demand is way down and its not just for Tesla, Its for almost all EV's. When Gas prices was pushing $5-$6 a gallon everyone turned towards EV's and now gas is back down to $3 and the demand has dropped considerable. The days of waiting 6-12 months for a Tesla to come in is over and they have plenty of inventory sitting all over the US and they are having trouble moving them even with offering the $7500. It will take a long time to recover and there is probably more down side.

I do think this is playing a role.

We all need to face the facts that demand is way down and its not just for Tesla, Its for almost all EV's. When Gas prices was pushing $5-$6 a gallon everyone turned towards EV's and now gas is back down to $3 and the demand has dropped considerable. The days of waiting 6-12 months for a Tesla to come in is over and they have plenty of inventory sitting all over the US (I have never seen so many Model S vehicles ready for immediate sale) and they are having trouble moving them even with offering the $7500. It will take a long time to recover and there is probably more down side.

They are not offering $7500 for Model S as far as I am aware. Only 3 and Y. Maybe they should be.

Tesla does not offer the $7500 discount on the S or X.

While higher gas prices undoubtedly boost EV sales and falling gas prices do not, I think your fundamental premise is wrong. I think lower auto sales overall is likely the culprit for weak demand. This affects EVs and ICE vehicles. While the impact on TSLA is IMHO greatly overdone, I believe that there is a sticky recessionary fear that is impacting all large purchases and agree it will probably be for a while. Since tech is prone to overreaction, it's being overreacted on right now. No need to be so extreme.

I am holding tight. I don't know how low this thing is going to go. Regardless, Tesla is my best chance to 10-20x my money so I am willing to take the risk. If it doesn't work out, I'm still richer than most people. For me the risk / reward is high and it would kill me to not be part of it once it takes off. I formed a CRT using Tesla stock to cover my family's expenses so I could retire early. We have a paid off house with low property tax and I have no debt so I feel pretty calm through this. Of course, I am shelling out a lot of money for my kids private school and activities. It may be that I don't have all the excess money I though I would. But that's how 99% of the people in this world live, isn't it? I'm happy I swung for the fences and went all in on TSLA, no matter what happens. You guys may have other ways to make a lot of money in your life, but this is my one shot.

Last edited: