Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be interested on your and @GhostSkater 's opinions on the matter. Brazil is a huge to date untapped market and the interest seems to be there...

In my opinion, is pretty simple

It's simply too expensive to have meaningful volume here considering the country fleet and population size

As you said, easy to have a few, hard to make a dent on the market even with 3/Y. We see those two becoming the best or close to the best sold in every market they are available, impossible to even come close to that here

The Brazilian Real has lost a ton of value on the past years, on top of that the new vehicle price skyrocket, today you can buy the most barebones new car for close to to what you could buy a nice medium class SUV 5 years ago, it's completely ridiculous, you are paying a lot for absolute garbage

For context, the cheapest new car you can buy today here is R$ 70k or ~$ 14K, a Model 3, assuming it would arrive for the same price as in the U, which is unlikely) would be R$ 200k, if it was the same price as in China R$132k

Both still too high in my opinion for market dominance, the most sold passenger car in 2022 was the Hyundai HB20, which goes for R$ 84k

Don't think Tesla need to go for this low price to be the market leader, but something between R$ 100k and R$150 k, which would be $ 20k to $ 30k

And this is not counting the huge infrastructure expense it has to build at the same time

TLDR: Brazil needs a cheaper vehicle to have good market penetration and make it worth the cost on entering this market, so whatever comes out of Mexico makes sense. And I still think there is a huge cultural battle to be fought, won't be quick adoption to market dominance, but a slow uphill climb, but will get there

Poor concept the analogy of using multiple wires to people is outdated hasn't Exxon heard of 'Wireless' technolgy. Secondly apples should be compared to apples I don't see any EVs on the road. Oh and by the way your freedom is limited to your next Gas station, kind like having to find a EV charging station; both are harder to find as you venture into the less populated country with beautiful landscapes. Just my 10 cent comment.
EV's, especially with charging at home while you sleep, eliminate the slavery of gas hoses...

Given it's already August 14th in China now, they may have just been briefing salespeople on these price changes.

Temporary 8000 RMB incentive for Model 3 might be an inventory clear-out tactic in preparation for Highland. Or it may just be a promo for partner insurance. Translated ad says:

"Model 3 limited-time insurance subsidy for existing cars is waiting for you to claim

From August 14, 2023 (inclusive) to September 30, 2023 (inclusive)

Order the Model 3 rear-wheel drive version of the current car and complete the delivery, and purchase the corresponding car insurance through a cooperative insurance agency to enjoy subsidies"

Last edited:
It has been said many times by the Tesla team that current margin drag is temporarily. This is the first time Tesla opened two money furnaces at the same time and the last two quarters were all about pushing to mass production, which is has peak drag on margins along with 4680s. The next phase will be margins optimization which is going to be a major tailwind for Tesla along with less fx impact and raw material deflation.
It has also been said on multiple occasions by Elon that Tesla will lower prices to keep the factories at full production rather than optimize for margins. With the Chinese economy going into a recession, a spike in PPI this week and US interest rates remaining high, there is a non-insignificant probability that Tesla continues to drive prices down to match supply with demand.

Long term, Tesla is sure to come out of any downturn with the lion's share of the market. And I agree margins will rise when economic conditions improve. But short term (over the next year), I would not be surprised if prices and margins stay depressed. The price decrease in China overnight is another data point. I think we are still a ways away from margins optimization.

I will be very interested to see how they price the new Model 3. If they price it starting with a '2' as has been rumored out of China, that will be a sign to me they are still in the 'drive down the selling price' and to not expect margin improvement anytime soon.

It has also been said on multiple occasions by Elon that Tesla will lower prices to keep the factories at full production rather than optimize for margins. With the Chinese economy going into a recession, a spike in PPI this week and US interest rates remaining high, there is a non-insignificant probability that Tesla continues to drive prices down to match supply with demand.

Long term, Tesla is sure to come out of any downturn with the lion's share of the market. And I agree margins will rise when economic conditions improve. But short term (over the next year), I would not be surprised if prices and margins stay depressed. The price decrease in China overnight is another data point. I think we are still a ways away from margins optimization.

I will be very interested to see how they price the new Model 3. If they price it starting with a '2' as has been rumored out of China, that will be a sign to me they are still in the 'drive down the selling price' and to not expect margin improvement anytime soon.
The steepest part of the S curve is itself a money furnace where margins doesn't come from cost reduction but from economy of scale. Once they hit max production, then they will focus. on cost reduction. This is a normal cycle Tesla has gone through many times.

Wild theory on Twitter than Elon is going to buy US Steel (market cap $5B) for the “x” stock ticker (and us steel might be beneficial for supplying his various companies.)

Theory coming from US steel announcing it had received unsolicited takeover interest.

Cleveland Cliffs made a $7.3B buyout offer that US Steel rejected.

Wild theory on Twitter than Elon is going to buy US Steel (market cap $5B) for the “x” stock ticker (and us steel might be beneficial for supplying his various companies.)

Theory coming from US steel announcing it had received unsolicited takeover interest.
Apparently they are getting buyout offers of ±7B and are rejecting them

1691978526756.jpeg

CNBC has an important story called:
"Cyber concerns: CNBC executive's old Tesla ends up in Ukraine, new owner able to access accounts"

The story goes like this: a CNBC executive's totaled Tesla was shipped by the scrap yard to Ukraine and Spotify was still logged in, which obviously raises concerns about the Cybertruck launch.

Last edited: