Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20240110_160304.jpg

We did our bit for Q4... car was flawless... just now got to take a picture of them together. Cybertruck is up next! I will be replacing one silver vehicle with another. TBH the 2013 Model S still has a couple of things that are nicer, it's not a total slam-dunk in the Y's favour. At low speeds and quiet roads the Model S seems quieter, and it's less bumpy than the Y over uneven surfaces. I think that's because there is no motor in the front. Also it has air suspension and the Y does not - I think there is a noticeable difference even after 10yrs. Wish the Y had air suspension. AWD is awesome 👌

Interestingly, Tesla could have gotten over a billion of EU aid two years ago but declined:

As is usual, there is a significant back story involved. The €1.1B grant EU grant required that a Berlin 4680 cell plant 'be the first industrial instantiation' of that cell manufacturing technology. That means 4680s wouldn't qualify for the EU grant if the first such cell line was built at Giga Texas instead of Berlin.

So the EU/Germany prioritized some intangible advantage ('cuz Tesla still owns the IP) over accelerating bty production volume. Instead, they got nothing. Well, they do get Chinese cells, which the EU is now complaining about and threatening tariffs to support the local industry (that they themselves did not support).

The EU and Germany prioritized the appearance of progress rather than the achievement of progress. This is called Greenwashing.

Nov 26, 2021 -- "Tesla was expected to receive 1.14 billion euros ($1.28 billion) in EU funding for its battery plant in Gruenheide, Brandenburg under the plan, with a final decision likely by the end of the year."​
"Tesla has informed the Federal Ministry of Economics and the Brandenburg Ministry of Economics... it is withdrawing its IPCEI application for state funding for the battery factory in Grünheide," a Tesla spokesperson said, referring to European subsidies allocated to so-called 'Important Projects of Common European Interest'. - (REUTERS link redacted)​

Tesla will build the Berlin 4680 plant in their own sweet time (after the tech is fully developed in Texas) without EU or German government support. But locally-made cells will be slower to market than if the EU battery production grant had never existed at all.

#subsidies

Well, the adaptive headlights are in the US, the same as everywhere else. There just aren't any adaptive features enabled yet, just like in the rest of the world.

And they may never be enabled, as they were likely designed to meet the SAE standards, but when NHTSA made the rules for adaptive headlights they made the rules much more restrictive than the SAE standards. (A lot of OEMs are pushing back because they don't want to have to make new headlights to meet the NHTSA standards, they say that the SAE ones are good enough.)
If these new headlights appear to on-coming drivers as TWO lights in each housing, I've spotted one on highway 19 near Port Townsend, WA. Not familiar enough to be positive.

A positive article in Barrons just appeared in my Apple news feed (did not see it referenced here). Here is a snippet below. I liked the cite from the Citi analyst that said sales of Model 3 have increased from 2500/week to 3500/week since the refresh. Honestly I didn’t think it had been available in the US that long, 🤷‍♂️

“Tesla Is Growing Up. That Should Help Boost Sales in 2024.

Follow Barron's in Apple News Tesla Is Growing Up. That Should Help Boost Sales in 2024. — Barron's

Every established auto maker updates its most successful models every few years, but Tesla hadn’t done so on a large scale. Until now.

A new version of the long-selling Model 3 is hitting markets around the globe, in the first major overhaul of a Tesla vehicle. The company released higher-horsepower Plaid versions of the Model S and Model X in 2021, but those cars sell in much smaller volumes.

Now, an updated version of the Model 3 is now on sale in the U.S., according to the Tesla website. It wasn’t clear exactly when the car went on sale in this country: Tesla doesn’t do things like this with a lot of fanfare and didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The model “refresh,” the industry term for the update, should help sales in the U.S. That is what happened in China, where the revised model went on sale a few months ago.

Tesla was selling roughly 2,500 Model 3 vehicles a week in the country before the upgrade, according to registration data tracked by Citi analyst Jeff Chung. That has increased to about 3,500 since then.”

A positive article in Barrons just appeared in my Apple news feed (did not see it referenced here). Here is a snippet below. I liked the cite from the Citi analyst that said sales of Model 3 have increased from 2500/week to 3500/week since the refresh. Honestly I didn’t think it had been available in the US that long, 🤷‍♂️

Follow Barron's in Apple News Tesla Is Growing Up. That Should Help Boost Sales in 2024. — Barron's

Every established auto maker updates its most successful models every few years, but Tesla hadn’t done so on a large scale. Until now.

A new version of the long-selling Model 3 is hitting markets around the globe, in the first major overhaul of a Tesla vehicle. The company released higher-horsepower Plaid versions of the Model S and Model X in 2021, but those cars sell in much smaller volumes.

Now, an updated version of the Model 3 is now on sale in the U.S., according to the Tesla website. It wasn’t clear exactly when the car went on sale in this country: Tesla doesn’t do things like this with a lot of fanfare and didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The model “refresh,” the industry term for the update, should help sales in the U.S. That is what happened in China, where the revised model went on sale a few months ago.

Tesla was selling roughly 2,500 Model 3 vehicles a week in the country before the upgrade, according to registration data tracked by Citi analyst Jeff Chung. That has increased to about 3,500 since then.”
The refresh M3 went live last night in the US. It wasn't a secret...at least to those who follow Tesla.

Reactions: unk45 and madodel
The refresh M3 went live last night in the US. It wasn't a secret...at least to those who follow Tesla.
Yes, but if that’s true, how is it that a Citi analyst is saying sales are up 1000 units in a week..what am I missing? And yes, I follow Tesla; TSLA is our single largest equity holding. Besides it’s been a blast to watch it develop and enjoy the product.

Yes, but if that’s true, how is it that a Citi analyst is saying sales are up 1000 units in a week..what am I missing? And yes, I follow Tesla; TSLA is our single largest equity holding. Besides it’s been a blast to watch it develop and enjoy the product.
He means in China. The refreshed Model 3 has been available there for a few months.

There's been a lot of talk here recently about the negative PR campaign targeting Elon Musk and Tesla. I think this is largely a misnomer simply because Elon is doing fine, and Telsa is the first across the start line in this regatta for world-wide EV dominance.

No, the actual target of this PR trolling campaign is Retail investors with the goal of separating them from their TSLA catch. We saw just such an example today from the mercurial "Tesla Economist" (and quintessential emotional retail investor) :

TeslaEconomist.on-X.2024-01-10.19-48.jpg

Woahbuoy, where to start? Every SINGLE buoy he claims as evidence is INCORRECT:
  • Gen 3 was NOT pushed back since Tesla never announced a start date. Who'd you get that from? And was he wearing a pink bunny suit? :p
  • Tesla Energy ramp is exactly on schedule, where'd you get 'failed'? (The DRUGS you need are available in sickbay, not just on the docks)
  • 4680s ARE ramping. 4 lines operational at Giga Texas by mid-year, 8 lines by E0Y. Or did you mean overnight, tonight only, 'cuz that's when your margin call is due?
  • "FSD solved this year" is NOT the condition necessary for the Market to place value on it, progress is. Yet your value is zero because it won't save you from your Options blunder?
  • Margins, price cuts, COGS on an early ramp product like CT are just handwaving, Tesla is profitable and growing more so, while growing the business. That's PROGRESS.
Recall, it was just a year ago on December 27, 2022 when Tesla Economist was margin called on certain speculative options contracts he purchased, losing over $10M of his own money (and a few more Million$ for family members). This.guy.does.not.learn. At least, wait for the Earnings call on Jan 24 and Elon's Company talk after the release of the 10-K before spouting your jibberish. Whinging about informtion that is not available right now is yet another indicator of his emotional affective disorder when it comes to investment decisions.

Folks, Options Market Makers know your positions because brokers share information below deck. Collectively, they know who is vulnerable, and when to strike. Don't play their game. You may be the lucky 1-in-100 retail options traders who makes money short-term, but if you do please don't encourage the other 99% to bet-and-lose just so you can continue your personal winning streak. Consider that your turn to lose is coming, and that your luck is going to run out (statistically). You are running between the raindrops when you speculate in Options.

I don't play options (never have). There may be some good reason to purchase put contracts to secure the capital you need to withdraw over the next year or two, but otherwise puts are mainly used by Options MMs to create synthetic short shares. The house always wins, and Options MMs run a crooked game: They can see all your cards. (they know your entire position, they know your cash balance, they know your margin limits, and can change that limit whenever it suits them). It's dead reckoning for them to harvest the maximum no. of retail investors in the same bottom-trawling net)

A Better Strategy? Buy-right'n'Hold-tight. Four years ago, I did a projection for TSLA's share price going forward through 2030 based on Tesla guidance of 50% CAGR. The predicted SP for Dec 31, 2023 was $238.49 (that's not a misprint). At the time Tesla's 10-yr historic CAGR was 57.1% (my bull-case scenario). If I didn't watch mainstream Tesla news and did nothing but check the SP once per year, I'd be thrilled with the results:

TSLA SP model Feb 2020.png

Instead, negative PR campaigns target emotional investors like Tesla Economist, urging them to sell the best equity investment of the century because he doesn't have enough info... Twice. Got news for you, Tesla Economist: you do have enough info; but you engage in self-denial about your approach to investing. A sure way to be taken in by the sharks.

Investor: Know Thy Self.

P.S.
Below 40 degrees, there is no Law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God.

Last edited:
That’s easy enough.

First:
I’ll make you happy: YES. All companies can profit by Costco’s example. All, that is, that have organized labor attempting to make inroads. As my exposure to TSLA dwarfs that of all my other investments combined, so is my concern likewise focused.

Second:
Costco did and does have an ongoing problem with labor unions…As. Does. Tesla. Costco in retrospect, after first, in 2022 some 5% of its workforce joined the Teamsters, and then, last week the entire staff in Norfolk did, made that announcement.
Too bad for Costco. As I wrote, its management made that announcement ex post facto. The congratulations due them is that they realized, albeit belatedly, where they slipped. That Tesla may profit by their example was and is the lesson. A perfect case of the best defense being a good offense.
Except that to the best of our knowledge Tesla employees aren't interested to join any union, rather it's the unions harassing them that are making all the noise

Elon stated in the past that although he thinks unions are a negative, he would never stand in the way of Tesla employees forming/joining, but that there appeared to be no will to do so

What I suspect happens is that folks join Tesla. The ones committed to the company and prepared to put in the extra mile stay. Those that can't stand the pace and/or cut the mustard, they leave, or do as much as they can before it overwhelms

So in effect, at any moment in time, you have a large percentage of the Tesla workforce that are there for more than just the job itself, and these folks most certainly do not want any union coming onboard

Last edited:
I cannot agree enough with the message to avoid options and margin. These are wonderful options dreamed up by the stock market big-players to encourage you to gamble so they can have your money.
All stock markets around the world HATE buy-and-hold investors. And yet, you can do extremely nicely with such a strategy. I'm currently 500% up in aggregate on my TSLA (my earlier purchases are way higher). I fully expect the stock to double again, given FSD, Optimus, Semi, Energy and Cybertruck.
1000% return for just being calm and patient, and being able to sleep safely at night.

BTW looks like its confirmed from multiple sources that non-employees are being asked to configure cybertruck foundation series now. Very soon we will have in-depth reviews, testing and teardowns. Tesla is significantly de-risked compared to even just a month ago, with CT release managed ok, US highland release, and continued roll-out of FSD12 to employees.

VERY good times ahead.

observation:
Lots of Tesla's everywhere, like, way way more
single data point

East Coast trip US mid December 2023 - early January 2024 (~2,500 miles)
SW Florida Sanibel area to Washington DC area & back
gave up random counting after quickly got over 100
(Interstate 75 - Rt 301 - Interstate 95
(avoid I-4 near Disneyworld as it's stop & go 24 hours a day!)
2 car carriers with Tesla's
Tesla's everywhere on the roads, lots of Y's

!!!Parking garage in Rockville, Maryland with supercharger on 3rd floor has 2.5 levels literally packed with ~100/level (around ~250) for pre-delivery staging and some service where there were some "odd looking kinda different" model 3's (early highlands?)

(SC is between 27cents and 42cents depending on time of day or something random at Rockville, Maryland, USA)

there seems to be perhaps "an order of a magnitude" more everywhere (10x) and it was pleasant seeing so many

additionally, visited Babcock Ranch$,
lots of Tesla's in the 40 miles there & back plus perhaps a dozen spotted there

It seems it's way past the "early adopters stage"