Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So >10% meaning about 10% otherwise why not say 15% or 20%? Unless at time of writing he didn't know the total count because some metric was simply being applied across divisions.

Seeing as how he's so personally involved with every hiring he should probably know the number a bit better.

Seeing as how he's so personally involved with every hiring he should probably know the number a bit better.
He is not unless during hiring freeze periods in which any new hires must be justified. Pretty sure you know Musk wouldn't personally approve thousands of people coming in and out monthly for all his companies right?

Last night I cruised the Tesla site. I couldn’t believe the number of cars available, all models, in our state. It’s hundreds. Tesla has really stuffed the pipeline. There are reports that Texas has cut back all 12 hour shifts an hour, and now we know why several hundred trucks are piled up at the factory. I think Tesla has their hands full reacting to this market.

Speculating this because the Tesla badge affiliation is gone. It's also gone for Rohan, Ashok, Elon, ....so I think people are just jumping into conclusions.

On his Twitter profile page everything else still points to Tesla:

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 14.40.50.png

No amount of imagination will make today’s cybertruck a military vehicle. It would be a death trap. The military is not salivating at the thought of the cybertruck. That’s not how the military works.
Several people have raised this point. That point is valid for battlefield use. Anyone who's ever been in any military even ancient times, like mine, observe the vast majority of vehicles used are standard civilian vehicles. From sedans and SUV's to pickups and every imaginable cargo carrier the vast majority of vehicles used (boats, trains, cars, trucks, airplanes) are standard commercial ones. The airplanes are often in some form of civil reserve, as are ships. For some reason people who've never been in or around a military organization think battlefield is the majority. That is factually incorrect. They're just the most dramatic. FWIW, I had a CJ5 Jeep as my personal car in both Thailand and Vietnam, a decrepit Plymouth when in the Philippines and a quite nice Datsun in the at the Ohio base where I was assigned. (back then the Japanese supplied vehicles to the US military).

I don't want to drag out anecdotes. I do want to make the obvious observation that in the present situation the US military and most NATO nations are moving as quickly as they can to renewables, including for some battlefield equipment. The Cybertruck, with or without modifications, could very well be highly attractive to multiple NATO military and civil organizations, as it could for public utility remote support and countless other such functions.

In many of those some modifications probably would be mandated. Just as with police vehicles almost everywhere there is little difference between the vehicles they use and standard issue ones.

There are already numerous government users for Tesla vehicles. The Cybertruck could have much broader applications. What percentage of Ram, F-150 and Silverado/Sierra are bought by utilities, governments and military? For that matter how many of their smaller versions?

Note: back in the dark ages the U-2 had drooping very, very long wings. Two seriously souped up pickups used with fifth wheels (of a type) to stabilize the wings. (imagine that with a stock Cybertruck). In civil use out of a battle context it happened like this (note the stock Toyota pickup):

Since it was a half-century ago I can tell you those pickups were a blast to drive when there were no U2 operations.

Last edited:
I’ll bet it was more like a half-century…😁

On edit:
(Normally, it is I who edits @unk’s posts, usually amending the most egregious typos without even telling him. This time, I left up his initial “half-decade” for the fun of being able to, well, skewer him😀. And then he goes and spoils it? Bah!)

On further edit: Wow: that is one cool video. Even if it is OT😎

Last edited:
Per Handelsblatt, 3,000 of the 12,500 at Berlin are being laid off.

So much for the Berlin ramp.

What makes you think laying off 3,000 workers Tesla deems unnecessary would have a negative impact on the ramp? You don't improve efficiency and production at a company like Tesla by hiring more workers or keeping workers on who you don't need to move things along.

The competition is coming?? I don't put much weight in this since there are so little details and it's an advertisement (I dont think I have seen anyone post this yet):

" Korean automaker Hyundai‘s IONIQ 5 robotaxi has already passed a simulated driving test. The driving test was administered by Kandice Jones, a certified driving examiner for the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), as part of a campaign film released by the company in late March. "

Video here:

The first thing that came to mind was how passing a standard driving test might be a great way to establish a baseline for qualifying an autonomous vehicle.

This may require the vehicle taking verbal instruction from the tester as to where to go and what to demonstrate skills-wise. Such as the "Turn left at the next street" and "parallel park between the cones" sort of commands when drivers are tested.

Passing the same test humans take would indicate capabilities meeting the baseline standards. This would be a place to start measuring from that the general public could relate to.

What makes you think laying off 3,000 workers Tesla deems unnecessary would have a negative impact on the ramp? You don't improve efficiency and production at a company like Tesla by hiring more workers or keeping workers on who you don't need to move things along.

How does firing 25% of a factory's staff help a ramp up? For a factory that's been operating at ~40-50% of stated capacity for a while now.

Absolutely!

The mere fact that this is how Tesla has done it for years exemplifies how successful this thinning of the herd has been so far.

I vaguely remember a news story some years ago indicating how other successful companies have done this as a matter of policy. The story indicated how those companies who implemented this strategy performed better than those who didn't.