Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm focusing on Tesla primarily in this forum, but for both Tesla and Twitter, Elon's playing the long game. He's stated outright that he doesn't care about quarterly numbers all that much and isn't catering to short term investors.

In the long run, it remains to be seen if his direct action doesn't ultimately improve things.
You asked for an example of where his cleaning house made things worse. I gave one. Financials may get better there one day, or they may not, that's hypothetical.

Interesting that were it not for @Christine69420 posting on this forum, I would not be aware of the Cybertruck event taking place 35 miles from where I live. It seems I'm not the only one. I have had my Model 3 for 4 years, I have a Tesla account so they have my email, mobile and credit card. And yet no communication about this. In fact I haven't had any marketing comms from Tesla UK, ever.

Didn't Elon recently say the sales and distribution organisation needs sharpening up? Couldn't agree more.

All auto stocks are down except for Lucid(?) and Hyundai/Nio, with Stellantis down twice as much as Tesla. While it seems obvious that the SC layoff is behind Tesla's drop today and I must say I don't understand Elon's reasoning, I have to believe there is one. I expect we'll know more about it in the near future. I think there's something big behind it as cash flow can't be the reason.

Maybe since everyone is signed up to use the NACS connector and the existing SC network, Elon/Tesla feels it's time for the other manufacturers to share the load. For instance Ford is now advertising high speed charging capability but using their name, it's a precursor to a big farmout/licencing of the whole SC network.

My portfolio hopes we'll know soon.

Twitter has definitely become WAY more feature packed and usable since the firings, in my experience. There is no comparison. There are many examples in isaacsons book and elsewhere about frustrated twitter employees having been keen to implement features but management could never make a decision. Elon fired them all and opened the floodgates to improvement,
Maybe supercharger management hated wireless charging and elon wanted it supporting. Or maybe they were not keen on opening the network.

I think this may be it. Its certainly what I would like to see. Of all the many cool things about Tesla, the supercharging network build-speed has to be the most underwhelming one. There are SO MANY people who say they cannot ever buy an EV because there is no place to charge it. They do have a point. Not everyone (especially in cities) has a nice allocated space in a driveway to home charge.
Perhaps the supercharger rollout is going to become supercharger + destination + homecharger rollout. In the UK, there are a lot of 'lamp-post chargers', but not enough, not even vaguely enough.

I do think Elon might be frustrated because the process of getting grid connections for high demand electrical installations like superchargers is absolutely torturous, almost everywhere in the western world. I'm not sure this is easily fixed. Hardly any locations have enough space for solar to make a dent in the power requirements. Solar canopies are basically window dressing for a supercharger.
Its may here, and my 10 solar panels generated 20kw of power today. Enough to fill a single model Y to 25%. In one day. And thats in Spring, not winter.

Superchargers may be the one thing that Elon finds out simply cannot be done 'china-fast' outside of China. I'm glad he is at least focused now on that part f the business though, (and Tesla in general).
Hearty agreement with your "cannot be done 'china-fast' outside of China" comment. There are some places (e.g. San Francisco) with onerous
bureaucracy for electrical permitting, together with utility (in our case PG&E) foot-dragging, so new Supercharger installations can take years.
In one case a location popped up with 72 kW "urban chargers" which are already obsolete ... As I mentioned on X to the comment
about a long-desired site in Hungary, "This is not controllable by Tesla, and Musk cannot dictate by fiat to other agencies as he can for Tesla."

Towards "supercharger + destination + home charger" rollout you mention, as an apartment dweller (though I co-own a home elsewhere)
I'd be happy with a grounded 3-prong 120V plug in the garage space, with only a two-wire lightbulb/socket switch there.
(The bldg is circa 1942 controlled by fuses and no circuit-breaker panel.)

There does seem to be a company dedicated to getting 120/240V landlord-metered outlets into multi-unit apartments --
a co-founder is an ex-Tesla engineer:

They try to work with local electricians and realize that 120V is sufficient for many places since 4-5 miles/per hour adds
up overnight. You'd think that building owners might want to make money, but try that in rent-controlled San Francisco, where if
infrastructure costs even a nickel to install they wouldn't even try if they'd have to pull permits. I could get an electrician to put
in a GFCI outlet with no conduit or "panel" work, but I hear that the Tesla mobile plug won't work with ersatz grounding. End of rant.

Last edited:
Considering the recent inroads into South Korea for FSD Beta testing,...

How far-fetched would it be to consider that, rather than Ford, it might be Hyundai/Kia who are the OEM sniffing around Tesla to arrange an FSD licensing deal?

That is a company who could quickly integrate a Tesla FSD package into a model shared by the brands, then, begin producing them in droves for sale in their domestic and export markets.

Those cars are shipped in droves, aren't they?

Last edited:
Elon taking 80/20 rule to the extreme 🤣

Let’s remember the doom & gloom when he fired 80% of Twitter and everyone in legacy media predicted that the sky will be falling.

He has also fired the entire Tesla “influencer” team 😅

Edit: H did not do what I did. See posts following this one!

He might do the same I did. Moved a bunch of accounts from "following" to "lists". The lists on X are very practical if you don't want to get completely overrun on your main view. Then you look at posts from members on your various lists whenever you got extra time.

Last edited:
We know this was a financial move of some sort............ let's go with that. The post on that LinkedIn from a fellow Tesla laid-off employee, Mr. Bahadue of the same team is a gut check.

These former employees not only believed in the "mission" but worked their butts off to make it happen. What the Super Charger network has grown into will always be a testament to this hard-working team.

We know this was a financial move of some sort............ let's go with that. The post on that LinkedIn from a fellow Tesla laid-off employee, Mr. Bahadue of the same team is a gut check.

These former employees not only believed in the "mission" but worked their butts off to make it happen. What the Super Charger network has grown into will always be a testament to this hard-working team.

I wouldn't worry too much about Tesla employees that are laid off. Golden parachutes tend to happen. It's a near certainty they got snagged very quickly, with many offers, and with lucrative offers at that.

• Love
Reactions: SPadival
He might do the same I did. Moved a bunch of accounts from "following" to "lists". The lists on X are very practical if you don't want to get completely overrun on your main view. Then you look at posts from members on your various lists whenever you got extra time.
No. He unfollowed them after they shared “The Information” article on the leaked layoff email

Also, notice that these “journalists” never publish the full text of the email, as it may provide additional context to the readers 🙄