Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla under federal CRIMINAL investigation over FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: Sharps97

The probe was recently upgraded to an “Engineering Analysis,” which is the second and final phase of an investigation before a possible recall.
This isn't exactly new news - in so far as the NHSTA investigation, which largely pertains to 16 incidents at night involving warning lights, etc. Given that these incidents occurred prior to changes that Tesla has made to how it handles warning lights, I don't think a mass recall is likely.

Edit: Also, as an FYI, the "probe" referred to in this post is different than that referred to in the first post and thread title.

Tesla may have hidden a federal criminal investigation into its self-driving tech from shareholders​

“As part of the latest probe, Justice Department prosecutors in Washington and San Francisco are examining whether Tesla misled consumers, investors, and regulators by making unsupported claims about its driver assistance technology’s capabilities,”

...potential civil lawsuits...
My understanding of a civil lawsuit is that the worst it could get is a monetary fine with no jail terms.

On the other hand, with a criminal lawsuit, both monetary fines and jail terms can happen.

However, I don't think you can lock up a company in a physical jail. Thus, if you can't lock it up in jail, then it's essentially a civil penalty at most.

If it wants its employee to go to jail, then in addition to investigating the company, it also has to investigate its employees.

But in the corporate world, that seldom happens except in very few cases, such as Theranos, whose founder was criminally investigated and convicted.

Last edited: