Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon now under (yet another) investigation by SEC over false self driving claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Tesla CEO Elon Musk is facing scrutiny by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regarding his specific comments and efforts to promote the automaker’s claims regarding its “self-driving” capabilities, Bloomberg reports. The SEC investigation into Musk is part of its overall efforts to determine whether Tesla has run afoul of its rules in promoting its FSD and Autopilot offering.”

Reactions: sfRonH
These investigations are misguided. They should be investigating Waymo to figure out where billions of dollars in investments are going and they can still only drive in geofences with LIDAR and HD maps. Someone is lining their pockets with investor money.

Tesla has delivered exactly what I wanted, the opportunity to teach the machine how to drive. It takes a human 16 years to learn how to drive, even longer in Europe. Tesla is a doing way better than a human so far since they started on the modern stack. My 7 year old can't even drive a bumper car

These investigations are misguided. They should be investigating Waymo to figure out where billions of dollars in investments are going and they can still only drive in geofences with LIDAR and HD maps. Someone is lining their pockets with investor money.

Tesla has delivered exactly what I wanted, the opportunity to teach the machine how to drive. It takes a human 16 years to learn how to drive, even longer in Europe. Tesla is a doing way better than a human so far since they started on the modern stack. My 7 year old can't even drive a bumper car
Waymo has nothing to do with what Elon said or didn't say. Two separate things. Elon has not delivered anything close to what he said.

...They should be investigating Waymo to figure out where billions of dollars in investments are going and they can still only drive in geofences with LIDAR and HD maps. Someone is lining their pockets with investor money....

Waymo is providing L4 without human drivers in specific cities. Riders who paid got what they paid for: a ride without a human driver.

Mercedes is selling L3 and takes liability during the L3 operation.

Tesla investors get the money from FSD sales but Tesla has not compensated any consumers for damages or death during its automation system, from the low speed of summon to the high speed of highways.

Hello, It doesn't take humans 16 years to learn how to drive a car. It takes humans 16 years to mature enough to make driving decisions. You're implying that if you began teaching a 30-year-old how to drive, the 30-year-old wouldn't know how to drive until the age of 46.
Also, the CEO of a public company should know he is not legally allowed to disclose news that could impact the stock price except in a public press release. I doubt a tweet is considered adequate, whether true or false. There's a reason that large corporations have media departments, and some even shut down trading of the stock to employees in anticipation of press releases. Elon deserves the lawsuit.

“Tesla CEO Elon Musk is facing scrutiny by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regarding his specific comments and efforts to promote the automaker’s claims regarding its “self-driving” capabilities, Bloomberg reports. The SEC investigation into Musk is part of its overall efforts to determine whether Tesla has run afoul of its rules in promoting its FSD and Autopilot offering.”
As they should. He has scammed upwards of half a million people worldwide into buying a future proof car that can become a robotaxi as part of Tesla ridesharing network. Claims the car can drive from LA to NY without any interventions. Seriously WTF

Musk is a sheister, plain and simple. Exaggerations, embellishments, overpromises and even outright lies tarnish his accomplishments.

Interesting, Mercedes now has gotten limited L3 approval in Nevada - miles ahead of Tesla now and pulling away…

Musk is a sheister, plain and simple. Exaggerations, embellishments, overpromises and even outright lies tarnish his accomplishments.

Interesting, Mercedes now has gotten limited L3 approval in Nevada - miles ahead of Tesla now and pulling away…

Not excited about Nevada. 3+ million people mostly clustered in cities. Long stretch of highways. Tumbleweeds and desert. See how it works in New Jersey. Car crash every day on my TV on the turnpike or the parkway.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the Paint It Black materially different than Trevor Milton and Nikola showing a video of a truck rolling downhill and proclaiming it's "driving?"

Both misrepresented products to consumers. Sure, both could have had "aspirations" or "hopes" that the product would eventually reach the capabilities of what they were displaying. Both asked for money from customers up front for a product they could not deliver at the time, despite what was portrayed on the video.

"The driver isn't doing anything - he's only there for legal reasons" is obviously a lie.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Not excited about Nevada. 3+ million people mostly clustered in cities. Long stretch of highways.Tumbleweeds and desert.See how it works in New Jersey. Car crash every day on my TV on the turnpike or the parkway
Highways and stop and go traffic are the most valuable uses of ADAS though. Cruising without input on road trips or allowing the car to drive you through mindless stop and go are the most

CIty driving and twisty roads are incredibly complex to program for due to all of the different situations and control required. I think Tesla could make a lot of people happy by focusing on getting AP up to L3/L4 for highway situations and then work on city traffic later. Seems to be what Mercedes is doing.

You sound brainwashed bruh. No one’s talking about Waymo. And Elon has made several claims over the years that he still hasn't kept. Maybe just maybe if he hired a PR dept, and got the **** off twitter….this wouldn’t be happening.

Tesla Inc disclosed on Tuesday it had received requests from the U.S. Justice Department for documents related to its Full Self-Driving and Autopilot driver-assistance systems as regulatory scrutiny intensifies.

Reuters reported in October Tesla is under criminal investigation over claims that the company's electric vehicles could drive themselves.

The U.S. Justice Department launched the previously undisclosed probe in 2021 following more than a dozen crashes, some of them fatal, involving Tesla’s driver assistance system Autopilot, the people said.

Reactions: sfRonH and 2101Guy
Highways and stop and go traffic are the most valuable uses of ADAS though. Cruising without input on road trips or allowing the car to drive you through mindless stop and go are the most

CIty driving and twisty roads are incredibly complex to program for due to all of the different situations and control required. I think Tesla could make a lot of people happy by focusing on getting AP up to L3/L4 for highway situations and then work on city traffic later. Seems to be what Mercedes is doing.
Tesla had this perfected with AP1. My 2015 Model S just drove the 1200 mile stretch on I-95 from MA to FL on mostly all autopilot. I had maybe 1-2 phantom brakes, but they were never harsh, just a gentle nudge. It really is dead reliable for long boring stretches of driving.

Tesla should've just bought mobile eye technology and use it for L3/L4 highway driving. Then continue to develop their own city traffic FSD systems.

This is a Big Mac
DC_201907_0005_BigMac_832x472:1-3-product-tile-desktop