Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Vehicle Listing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bang on! One click on the blade of the screen and you could have useful stats like how much supercharging, power used and battery ageing stats that would reinforce the second hard market and show the true story as for one you can get those stats with an app and plugin. Two informed choice at last! EU need to make this a directive.

Just as long as for an ICE vehicle the same type of "instant stats" showing how many times the vehicle was redlined, any transmission issues, etc then sure.

I am for people getting more vehicle data. I am NOT for people just getting more "EV" data under "regulation" without similar "regulations" being enacted on legacy manufacturers.

Just as long as for an ICE vehicle the same type of "instant stats" showing how many times the vehicle was redlined, any transmission issues, etc then sure.

I am for people getting more vehicle data. I am NOT for people just getting more "EV" data under "regulation" without similar "regulations" being enacted on legacy manufacturers.
Battery degradation is effectively quantifiable and has a tangible impact to the quality of the car. How many times something has been redlined is less meaningful. There’s a reason why mileage has long been the standard for cars, it’s not some anti-EV narrative you’re alluding to.

That standard is less information for EVs. It’s similar to how tractor usage is based on hours, not miles. A big benefit to consumers of EVs is having less uncertainty. to deal with. If you’re a fan of EVs, you want the EVs to be clearly quantified, while with ICE cars buyers must take on the risk associated using the correlation with year/mileage.

When you buy a used ICE vehicle, does anyone advertise what the CURRENT MPG of that vehicle is, vs new? (rhetorical question, the answer is no).

If you go to toyota's or BMWs website and look at used vehicles they will not be showing "current" vehicle MPG, they would only show you what the MPG was when new. those used vehicles are likely going to have a 100% charge to a different MPG... because they are used cars.

How is this analogous? Do those cars have software constantly analyzing their engines and providing real-time feedback? If a 3rd party app can determine the battery degradation Tesla can too.

How is this analogous? Do those cars have software constantly analyzing their engines and providing real-time feedback? If a 3rd party app can determine the battery degradation Tesla can too.

Yes, ICE vehicle also have "software constantly analyzing their engines and providing real time feedback" but its more hidden from you unless you connect to the ODB port and have tools / software to read it.

• Informative
Reactions: DDHEverything
Wouldnt battery capacity be something that is easy to report or share? I would think it is very important data to know what the remaining range is on a battery as well as some sort of charging history?

I would want to know full range of a fully charged vehicle. I don't understand why that isn't reported?
Is the same thing you are asking performed on gas and diesel vehicles?

• Disagree
Yes, ICE vehicle also have "software constantly analyzing their engines and providing real time feedback" but its more hidden from you unless you connect to the ODB port and have tools / software to read it.

Good to know, I didn’t know that. Do those companies market their cars on the MPG as a marketing/sales tactic? Tesla does, which makes the actual EPA estimate important.

Good to know, I didn’t know that. Do those companies market their cars on the MPG as a marketing/sales tactic? Tesla does, which makes the actual EPA estimate important.
You don’t know that because those numbers are far less meaningful than the battery degradation on an EV.

An inherent advantage and appeal of EVs to consumers is in its simplicity, including being able to estimate the remaining life of its most critical/valuable component. There is no ICE equivalency, that’s the beauty. The more regulations and transparency compared to ICE, the better.

Is that a serious question? Yes, those companies market their cars on MPG. Some more than others, but it is listed in almost every vehicle base set of statistics.

• Disagree
Is that a serious question? Yes, those companies market their cars on MPG. Some more than others, but it is listed in almost every vehicle base set of statistics.

No, it was a rhetorical question. Your argument is bad as most vehicles don’t focus on MPG the way EVs focus on range. Listed and a primary sales stat aren’t the same thing, but you know that.

We analyze different vehicles differently.
we have a bass boat that has a 200hp outboard motor. You would get a cylyndar compression test done as well, mercury can tell you how many hours the engine has been run at different RPM, ie 0-2000rpm 60 hours, 2000-4000 50 hours, etc. total hours running 150.

We use milage as the most common evaluation method on ICE vehicles. Why, b/c milage is an indication of wear on the engine and other components such as brakes , transmission etc.

On an EV, we really don't have many things to worry about outside of regular maintenance items other than the battery.
I would think , we should be able to see,
how much time was spent on a supper charger
how much time on a regular charger.
how many charge cycles
when charged, what range was the battery charged to.

Im sure these are easily measurable items.

Do we get into this kind of detail on ICE cars? No, but they are a technology that has been with us for a long time. If you put regular unleaded in a car as opposed to premium, how does that show up? If you supercharge your battery all the time, what does that do to a battery? The thing with EV is that it is easier or should be easy to track. Can we do it easily on ICE, no. It doesn't mean we shouldn't do something on EV.