Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage lower than expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I’m a first time EV owner so apologies if this is a stupid question! I recently bought a Model 3 Long Range with Photon wheels and absolutely love it. However I’m confused about the mileage. On the Tesla website the advertised range is 421 miles. I’m fully aware that in reality I won’t get anywhere near this but when I charge the car to full the actual mileage stated is 344 miles. Then when driving I’m probably only getting about 75% of this. I was expecting to get about 75% of the 421 miles and it just feels a big coincidence that the 344 is exactly the same as the advertised range for the standard range M3. Is this similar to others or have I mistakenly been given the wrong car? Based on the customer service I received from Tesla it wouldn’t surprise me!

Solution
Tesla website quotes WLTP range for Europe.

The car display shows EPA rated range.

EPA range is closer to real world but still optimistic. Real world is probably ~85% of EPA.
Hi all, I’m a first time EV owner so apologies if this is a stupid question! I recently bought a Model 3 Long Range with Photon wheels and absolutely love it. However I’m confused about the mileage. On the Tesla website the advertised range is 421 miles. I’m fully aware that in reality I won’t get anywhere near this but when I charge the car to full the actual mileage stated is 344 miles. Then when driving I’m probably only getting about 75% of this. I was expecting to get about 75% of the 421 miles and it just feels a big coincidence that the 344 is exactly the same as the advertised range for the standard range M3. Is this similar to others or have I mistakenly been given the wrong car? Based on the customer service I received from Tesla it wouldn’t surprise me!

Where are you seeing 421 mile range?

IMG_1996.jpeg

Reactions: Rocky_H and WyoDude
Upvote 0
The answer here is .... change your expectations. They were incorrect all along.

Also, you may be measuring your mileage differently because of gasoline expectations. EV's get the best mileage at low speeds, around town. Worst is on the highway above 70mph. And the EPA estimate was always generous.

You'll not see 400 miles for sure. My MYP is rated at 285 miles, and I rarely charge above 80%. I don't get 285, but I see how one could if you went slow enough. It's enough.

Upvote 0
The answer here is .... change your expectations. They were incorrect all along.

Also, you may be measuring your mileage differently because of gasoline expectations. EV's get the best mileage at low speeds, around town. Worst is on the highway above 70mph. And the EPA estimate was always generous.

You'll not see 400 miles for sure. My MYP is rated at 285 miles, and I rarely charge above 80%. I don't get 285, but I see how one could if you went slow enough. It's enough.
Thanks, but as i mentioned I wasn’t expecting 400+ miles. I was however expecting more than 258 miles which works out at about 60% of the advertised range. So just wondered if this was similar to what others were getting

Upvote 0
Do you have the new refreshed version?

Upvote 0
Thanks all for your input, much appreciated! And yes it is the refreshed version.

I spoke to Tesla today and they did seem to think there could potentially be an issue and recommended I book in for a service so they can do some tests. Strangely enough since the call it’s been performing much closer to the 341 miles which is all I was hoping for! Will report back with any developments.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi all, I’m a first time EV owner so apologies if this is a stupid question! I recently bought a Model 3 Long Range with Photon wheels and absolutely love it. However I’m confused about the mileage. On the Tesla website the advertised range is 421 miles. I’m fully aware that in reality I won’t get anywhere near this but when I charge the car to full the actual mileage stated is 344 miles.
My guess is that the display, even in UK, is calibrated to to the USA EPA mileage rating. The US rating system is more accurate on average, but the test procedures allow for too much manufacturer discretion and variation vs WLTP. So relative comparison of WLTP is more accurate, but real world numbers is well below its number.

Then when driving I’m probably only getting about 75% of this. I was expecting to get about 75% of the 421 miles and it just feels a big coincidence that the 344 is exactly the same as the advertised range for the standard range M3. Is this similar to others or have I mistakenly been given the wrong car? Based on the customer service I received from Tesla it wouldn’t surprise me!
You can look on the screen---it's very unlikely but unfortunately possible.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for your input, much appreciated! And yes it is the refreshed version.

I spoke to Tesla today and they did seem to think there could potentially be an issue and recommended I book in for a service so they can do some tests.
What? That is utter nonsense. What clown at Tesla thinks that not getting 421 would be a problem with the car? Sounds like a comedy skit.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
What? That is utter nonsense. What clown at Tesla thinks that not getting 421 would be a problem with the car? Sounds like a comedy skit.
I’m only recalling what the guy said on the call… in no way whatsoever would this be remotely funny to make up so I struggle to see how you could think this was a comedy skit. And if you spent half a minute reading the post you would clearly see that the issue isn’t that the car is not getting 421 miles but instead getting around 250 miles. Regardless of which rating is being used the long range refreshed model should be getting more than that.

But thanks anyway for your helpful post.

Upvote 0
Tesla website quotes WLTP range for Europe.

The car display shows EPA rated range.

EPA range is closer to real world but still optimistic. Real world is probably ~85% of EPA.
EPA real world is possible with 18" aeros and 3LR, but only with significant city/low speed driving, and little or no stopping and letting the car sit. That's unrealistic---you drive long distances on highway and EPA highway rating should be shown by default and is lower.

Upvote 0
EPA real world is possible with 18" aeros and 3LR, but only with significant city/low speed driving, and little or no stopping and letting the car sit. That's unrealistic---you drive long distances on highway and EPA highway rating should be shown by default and is lower.
I actually regularly get over the range in the summer on my M3LR. I do almost no highway driving. When I charge to 80%, it shows anywhere from 230-238, but I will get 250. When I do the highway, it is not over 65 as I try to avoid any chance of a ticket.

Reactions: DrChaos
Upvote 0