Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could all be moot, if PGE/Tesla render me a “typical” powerwall exporter at 11.8kW from 4p onwards each day. Maybe I’ll get credit for the 8-9p hour since I’m normally done exporting each day about 8p.
According to the CPUC rules, the baseline is set for every individual based on their specific usage during the VPP event hours for either the 10 prior weekdays or the 4 prior weekend days. There isn't a "typical" profile.

According to the CPUC rules, the baseline is set for every individual based on their specific usage during the VPP event hours for either the 10 prior weekdays or the 4 prior weekend days. There isn't a "typical" profile.
How would that work today?

Assume that on Mon and Tue I did export 11.8kW sustained during the VPP events of 6-9p and 4-9p. For tonight’s event from 6-9p does that mean those exports are included in the previous 10 days average (for weekdays)?

How would that work today?

Assume that on Mon and Tue I did export 11.8kW sustained during the VPP events of 6-9p and 4-9p. For tonight’s event from 6-9p does that mean those exports are included in the previous 10 days average (for weekdays)?
The 10 day baseline period excludes VPP days and holidays. One thing that isn't clear to me from the rules, is if the 10 days then extends further back to get 10 days, if the baseline is based on the average of the remaining days (with 2 VPP days, 8 days average instead of 10 days) or if the excluded days have a zero usage entry with 10 day averaging.

The 10 day baseline period excludes VPP days and holidays. One thing that isn't clear to me from the rules, is if the 10 days then extends further back to get 10 days, if the baseline is based on the average of the remaining days (with 2 VPP days, 8 days average instead of 10 days) or if the excluded days have a zero usage entry with 10 day averaging.
The language says 10 days, but there is the language towards "typical" that would allow for a certain amount of wiggle, creative or not.

If I were writing the code, I would look back a chunk of days, and throw out the highest and lowest standard deviations, and take ten days from the remaining pool. But that is not to say that is how anyone else might code it, especially a party with a vested interest in the outcome.

All the best,

BG

So it sounds like, to maximize profit (let's be honest, that's what PG&E are doing too), we should set our backup reserve to 100% for much of the summer. Then during a VPP, we should set the backup reserve to 0% and use a bunch of power. Does that seem right according to what we know about VPP so far?

Kind of the opposite of what you would think would be used as an incentive, but, there ya have it.

Note: that's all assuming a net producer...if you were a net consumer, you might have to do things differently to use your powerwalls during peak hours in the summer.

So it sounds like, to maximize profit (let's be honest, that's what PG&E are doing too), we should set our backup reserve to 100% for much of the summer. Then during a VPP, we should set the backup reserve to 0% and use a bunch of power. Does that seem right according to what we know about VPP so far?

Kind of the opposite of what you would think would be used as an incentive, but, there ya have it.

Note: that's all assuming a net producer...if you were a net consumer, you might have to do things differently to use your powerwalls during peak hours in the summer.
My understanding is that most Californian's are net consumers and those of us that are net producers are in the minority. The bucket that you are in will drive different cost/benefit decisions.

Net producers want to maximize their net exports while keeping their annual NBCs for imports below their annual MDCs. Using Powerwalls results in a 10% recharge penalty reducing net exports and should be avoided. If you are with a CCA that compensates net exports at retail rates (I think there are 1 or 2 that still do) then it may make sense to use the Powerwall during Peak to maximize the return for Solar exports and without offsetting Peak imports. Absent this case, using Powerwalls has no benefit other than the potential unverified claim that keeping your Powerwall at 100% for extended periods of time will significantly degrade the capacity. If you are not using Powerwalls daily then your baseline is 0 kWh and you would get the maximum value when it does discharge during a VPP event.

My CCA has a non-TOU compensation rate that is twice the PG&E NSC, so I am not incentivized to use my Powerwalls during Peak. I do pay heed to the possibility that keeping the Powerwalls at 100% is potentially harmful and I would like any failure to be observed outside of power outage, so I do allow them to lightly discharge during Peak.
  • Winter - Reserve set to 90% and Peak set to 7:00-9:00pm (any solar goes to the house from 4:00-7:00pm)
  • Summer - Reserve set to 85% and Peak set to 4:00-9:00pm (front loads discharge to 4:00-6:00pm outside of typical VPP hours)

That's what I do, except that i stay in Time Based Control all year and fudge the summer rates so that the Powerwall does not time shift because my rate differential is less that 20%. That keeps me virtual backup only mode.

20 hours a year of VPP @ $2 is better than I can do with time shifting Export Everything all summer. Especially, becuase its in cash, not PGE credit.

My understanding is that most Californian's are net consumers and those of us that are net producers are in the minority. The bucket that you are in will drive different cost/benefit decisions.

Net producers want to maximize their net exports while keeping their annual NBCs for imports below their annual MDCs. Using Powerwalls results in a 10% recharge penalty reducing net exports and should be avoided. If you are with a CCA that compensates net exports at retail rates (I think there are 1 or 2 that still do) then it may make sense to use the Powerwall during Peak to maximize the return for Solar exports and without offsetting Peak imports. Absent this case, using Powerwalls has no benefit other than the potential unverified claim that keeping your Powerwall at 100% for extended periods of time will significantly degrade the capacity. If you are not using Powerwalls daily then your baseline is 0 kWh and you would get the maximum value when it does discharge during a VPP event.

My CCA has a non-TOU compensation rate that is twice the PG&E NSC, so I am not incentivized to use my Powerwalls during Peak. I do pay heed to the possibility that keeping the Powerwalls at 100% is potentially harmful and I would like any failure to be observed outside of power outage, so I do allow them to lightly discharge during Peak.
  • Winter - Reserve set to 90% and Peak set to 7:00-9:00pm (any solar goes to the house from 4:00-7:00pm)
  • Summer - Reserve set to 85% and Peak set to 4:00-9:00pm (front loads discharge to 4:00-6:00pm outside of typical VPP hours)
Cab I ask which CCA you are in?

Thanks!

BG

It's in my signature :) , SVCE = Silicon Valley Clean Energy covers most of the South Bay except for San Jose that has their own CCA that is basically no different than being with PG&E.
Anyone have SJCE? How does that work with NEM2? I was assuming it’s effectively the same as PGE generation, maybe save for a few cents different in the rate. But fundamentally, I will still get peak credits for export from 4-9p on EV2A.

Using this with 4x powerwalls and 3x EV has so far shown to completely offset the cost on my significant net consumption. I’ll have NBC’s at end of year (haven’t had a true up yet) but that’s nothing when effectively removing both my electric and gasoline costs.

Anyone have SJCE? How does that work with NEM2? I was assuming it’s effectively the same as PGE generation, maybe save for a few cents different in the rate. But fundamentally, I will still get peak credits for export from 4-9p on EV2A.

Using this with 4x powerwalls and 3x EV has so far shown to completely offset the cost on my significant net consumption. I’ll have NBC’s at end of year (haven’t had a true up yet) but that’s nothing when effectively removing both my electric and gasoline costs.
Yes, I'm on SJCE, TotalGreen plan. It's marginally better than PG&E is you're an annual net producer in terms of NSCs.

Is this option below required to be able to discharge from your powerwalls to the grid during a VPP event? I don't have this option in my app and I'm only exporting at a rate equal to my solar production during VPP events. My reserve is set to 0 and I have tried both Self-Powered and Tim-Based control. No change. I do have "Permission to export" and "grid charging" set to yes.

1693447558856.png

Is this option below required to be able to discharge from your powerwalls to the grid during a VPP event? I don't have this option in my app and I'm only exporting at a rate equal to my solar production during VPP events. My reserve is set to 0 and I have tried both Self-Powered and Tim-Based control. No change. I do have "Permission to export" and "grid charging" set to yes.

View attachment 969650
No, that is not needed as part of VPP. Did you sign up for VPP and see the VPP info on the main page in the app?