Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall charger for my 2019 Model S only charging at 32 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC brain trust-

I just purchased a new 2019 Tesla Model S, which came with the wall charger and the little pieces in the little black bag. For some reason, the car is only charging at 32 amps when I use this charger. I cannot increase the charge rate above 32amps on the charging screen either. When I plug this charger into wife's 2016 Model X, it only charges at 32 amps as well.

So I disconnected my 2019 charger and used my wife's Tesla wall charger from her 2016 Model X. That charger charges my 2019 Model S and her 2016 Model X at 40 amps, just like the Tesla wall charger did for my 2013 Tesla Model S that I just sold today.

The wall charger is being plugged into an NEMA-50 plug, wired and circuit breakered for 50amps, and of course you can only have an 80% continuous load so a full 40 amps are available at the plug on the wall.

I did a search on the forum like a good forumite, and there is some mention of possibly changing a setting on the wall charger to bump it up to 40amps, but I haven't seen anywhere on how one would do that. Is there a way to do this?

Is there a way to get from Tesla a real 40 amp charger like they delivered back when I bought my 2013 and my wife's 2016?

Thanks!

Assuming you mean “mobile connector” based on your description, not the wall connector.

The Gen 2 mobile connector only charges at 32 amps max. There’s nothing you can do to change that. You can look for a used Gen 1 connector, buy a hardwired Tesla wall connector, or buy the corded mobile connector here, which does charge at a full 40 amps:

Reactions: jmaddr
Assuming you mean “mobile connector” based on your description, not the wall connector.

The Gen 2 mobile connector only charges at 32 amps max. There’s nothing you can do to change that. You can look for a used Gen 1 connector, buy a hardwired Tesla wall connector, or buy the corded mobile connector here, which does charge at a full 40 amps:

Yeah, I do mean "mobile connector." OK thanks for the info. Bummer it restricts to 32amps : (