Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector having to reset every time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, just finished installing my new Tesla Wall Connector.

Turned the breaker on - Green light goes on.
Plug connector to vehicle - Solid red light not charging
Hold reset for 3 seconds while plugged into Model 3, car charges normally.
48 AMPs 248V

Unplug cord from tesla and plug it back int - Solid red light not charging
Hold reset again for 3 seconds while plugged into Model 3, car resumes charging.
48 AMPs 248V

The only way to have the wall charge charge my vehicle is to hold reset for 3 secs every time. This operation does not seem normal.

Manual says solid red light means there is a circuit fault with the wall charger.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thank-you

48 AMPs 248V

Hold reset again for 3 seconds while plugged into Model 3, car resumes charging.
48 AMPs 248V

The only way to have the wall charge charge my vehicle is to hold reset for 3 secs every time. This operation does not seem normal.

Manual says solid red light means there is a circuit fault with the wall charger.

Thank-you

Some questions:

What gauge of wire did you use and is it in conduit or not?

What gauge of ground wire did you use?

Can you send pictures of the rotary dial setting and the rest of the dip switches setting?

My guess would be one of three things:

1. Ground is not properly hooked up and it is failing GFCI tests at the begging of a charge cycle.
2. The dip switches in the unit are set wrong (specifically the one that tells the unit if the power feed is line to line or line to neutral perhaps).
3. Your unit is defective.

Let us know what you find!

Some questions:

What gauge of wire did you use and is it in conduit or not?

What gauge of ground wire did you use?

Can you send pictures of the rotary dial setting and the rest of the dip switches setting?

My guess would be one of three things:

1. Ground is not properly hooked up and it is failing GFCI tests at the begging of a charge cycle.
2. The dip switches in the unit are set wrong (specifically the one that tells the unit if the power feed is line to line or line to neutral perhaps).
3. Your unit is defective.

Let us know what you find!

6Gauge wire for L1 and L2 and bare 6 gauge for earth/ground tied back to earth / Ground at the panel. 60 AMP break at the panel.
Dip switch setting is set L1 to L2 across for 240V. Dip switch 1 is down; dip switch 2 is up. Rotary dial is set to 9 for 48AMPS. These settings were triple checked. Wall connector is buttoned down otherwise I would have photos for you.

At this point I agree with you point 3 that the unit is defective although it works reliably once the reset is pressed while its plugged into the vehicle. I have an email into Tesla about this and will alert the community with how they respond and remedy this scenario.

• Love
Reactions: eprosenx
6Gauge wire for L1 and L2 and bare 6 gauge for earth/ground tied back to earth / Ground at the panel. 60 AMP break at the panel.
Dip switch setting is set L1 to L2 across for 240V. Dip switch 1 is down; dip switch 2 is up. Rotary dial is set to 9 for 48AMPS. These settings were triple checked. Wall connector is buttoned down otherwise I would have photos for you.

At this point I agree with you point 3 that the unit is defective although it works reliably once the reset is pressed while its plugged into the vehicle. I have an email into Tesla about this and will alert the community with how they respond and remedy this scenario.

Looks like you are on top of it!

Note that 6awg is overkill as a ground (I think 10awg for that application is fine), but it will certainly work! I guess I would ask if the ground wire is fully terminated at the wall connector end, though I am sure it is from what you describe.

Is there any chance that your house does not have neutral and ground properly bonded together at the main electrical panel? That would be the one other thing to check... (detailed pictures of your main electrical panel could help us identify that if you are not sure how to check that yourself - different panels do it different ways)

I have found Tesla support for the wall connectors to be very helpful! Let us know what they say!

48 AMPs 248V

48 AMPs 248V

Thank-you

Had this happen to me last year. Tesla sent me a new unit, issue resolved.

Reactions: pmifsud
Here is a video of the symptom for the communities reference.

I have since contacted the Tesla Charger Support folks. They shipped my out another unit. I installed it this morning. And all is working properly now.
Conclusion: Initial Unit was defective.

Thanks for those that offered ideas to help me resolve.

• Love
Reactions: eprosenx and mrau