Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector - Solid Red Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. Woke up this morning after partially charging the Porsche and my Gen 1 well connector has a solid red light. I was leaving for work but I didn't have a chance to reset the breaker. Assuming I do and the "red light of death" is still present, is that a pretty good indication that it's time for a new wall connector?

This one is 7 years old, so it has served me well and given that it last so long, if it's dead, I will certainly get another one from Tesla.

Also, I use it to charge the Model S and the Taycan (with an adapter), you don't think the Taycan could have anything to do with it's problems, do you?

Hey folks. Woke up this morning after partially charging the Porsche and my Gen 1 well connector has a solid red light. I was leaving for work but I didn't have a chance to reset the breaker. Assuming I do and the "red light of death" is still present, is that a pretty good indication that it's time for a new wall connector?

This one is 7 years old, so it has served me well and given that it last so long, if it's dead, I will certainly get another one from Tesla.

Also, I use it to charge the Model S and the Taycan (with an adapter), you don't think the Taycan could have anything to do with it's problems, do you?
It could be something as benign as a bad signalling issue between the Taycan and the Wall Connector. Reset the breaker and if the WC comes back online then just keep an eye on the next charging session and subsequent ones to see if you can identify any conditions that might have caused it to go red.

My WC went red once and it was due to my Model 3’s BCM failing which wreaked havoc with the 16V battery and messed with charging the HV battery.

Reactions: Struja
We've had our Wall Connector since 2018. About a year ago we started charging our ID.4 using the Wall Connector and a Lectron adapter. Twice we have got the red light on the connector (while charging the ID.4) but it seemed okay after turning the breaker off and on again. With three different parties involved (Tesla, Lectron and VW) it could be a gong show with each party blaming the others for the issue. At this point I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that the red light doesn't come back.

Last edited:
We've had our Wall Connector since 2018. About a year ago we started charging our ID.4 using the Wall Connector and a Lectron adapter. Twice we have got the red light on the connector (while charging the ID.4) but it seemed okay after turning the breaker off and on again. With three different parties involved (Tesla, Lectron and VW) it could be a gong show with each party blaming the others for the issue. At this point I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that the red light doesn't come back.
I reset the breaker and the green light came back. I tried charging the Taycan with my Lectron adapter via the “direct charge” feature on the Taycan (you literally need a PhD to navigate Porsche charging). Seemed to work fine. Also charged the S with no issues. So, seems like I’ll save a few bucks for the time being.

Reactions: mrElbe and Tony_YYZ