Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - Only for Tesla's (as the label on the charger states) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive had the Model 3 for a few weeks now and just sold my 1st Gen leaf. I have a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter for the 3 so i can charge off the 7 year old Origin / Chargepoint supplied Coulomb CT500 Type 1 wall charger.

Ive been thinking of the benefit of swapping to the Tesla Wall connector (other than age & the 'make the charge port open' button) - but Ive noticed on the Wall Connector it says for charging Tesla only .... is this true ? I thought the model 3 was standard type 2 - so i should be able to use the wall connector on any standard type 2 socket car ?

So while the Tesla wall connector is an easy swap out for the old Coulomb one - is it just a Tesla charger as opposed to any car with a type 2 socket ?

Also assume the standard supplied Tesla wall charger is only the 2.5m one - not the 7.5m option ....

The Tesla Wall Connector is compatible with any type 2 equipped EV, however there is a micro switch inside that allows the owner to restrict it to Tesla vehicles only. From what I understand the charge connector supplied with a new car comes with the 7.5m cable.