Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants $4,000 to remove and replace the steering rack. Does this sound right??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is 2 months old. Seems to be working find but got an alert about 'steering assist reduced' in the app so scheduled appointment.

Says 'Diagnosis: low voltage circuit integrity check
Correction: steering rack (remove and replace)'

Free to repair and was hoping they'd let me swap in the new steering wheel with center horn but no go.

I bet that disappoints the Tesla is “bad” folks.

FWIW: I’ve always found service is be superb in both NC & FL. Our family has 2X’s, 2 Y’s and a 3.

What?

First, Tesla screwed up the engineering, because this ground connection fails a lot. They know, but they don't do anything proactive to help their customers. Then when it does fail, they automatically ask for $4000 without even taking the time to look at it. If the OP didn't insist, he would have paid an unnecessary $4000. What part of that is "good" in your eyes??? Hint: That's HORRIBLE!

Last edited:
I had an issue with the tilt and telescoping not working, and they replaced the whole $1700 steering assembly (under warranty). It fixed the issue, but I am thinking it is just Tesla's unskilled service personnel just doing replace and not repair when things don't work correcly.