Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla WiFi connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I check internet speed with fast.com and the best I ever had was around 11mbps
From what I understand, your car doesn't connect directly to the Internet, but it goes through a VPN to mothership and they filter what you get to see (i.e. no videos in the car). So basically your speed is limited by the speed at which the VPN can handle traffic.

The speed you get on any device over WiFi is incredibly dependent on the quality of the signal. If you have a weak signal in your garage, you won't get much speed no matter how fast your connection to your ISP is. You'll only see that 1Gb speed over a hard wire. There's really nothing to gain from a faster WiFi connection to the car. Updates will download overnight when you're asleep and will be done before you get up in the morning. The browser sucks no matter what the connection is like.

If your router allows you to see the signal strength of connected devices, just validate that the signal strength over the noise floor is at least 20 dBm or so. If that is the case, then you will be fine.

The speed to the car does not need to be very fast as the software downloads happen when you are sleeping (as @ckoval7 accurately points out).

If you are getting 11 mbps through the browser, you are fine!

From what I understand, your car doesn't connect directly to the Internet, but it goes through a VPN to mothership and they filter what you get to see (i.e. no videos in the car). So basically your speed is limited by the speed at which the VPN can handle traffic.
Of course you get videos - Netflix, YouTube, TV.
Takes forever to grab them, though.

No, it does not. It's a direct connection; I can see that the IP address of the browser is the IP address of my home internet connection. The surprising thing about Tesla's WiFi however is that it does not support IPv6. As much as they're trying to be out in front of other companies on the technology side, they still only support IPv4 and I'm pretty sure that if I configured my WiFi network as IPv6 only, the Tesla wouldn't be able to connect over WiFi at all.

Reactions: Wol747
No, it does not. It's a direct connection; I can see that the IP address of the browser is the IP address of my home internet connection. The surprising thing about Tesla's WiFi however is that it does not support IPv6. As much as they're trying to be out in front of other companies on the technology side, they still only support IPv4 and I'm pretty sure that if I configured my WiFi network as IPv6 only, the Tesla wouldn't be able to connect over WiFi at all.
It just might be possible that things were different when this post was written nearly 3 years ago.

And by “might be possible” what I actually mean is they definitely were. Tesla finished the switchover from VPN to websockets in mid 2020.

Reactions: f205v and STS-134