Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did it recently become impossible to connect to a WiFi network that has no Internet connection? It makes installing an Ownice T3 box impossible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The instructions and tutorials for installing this box say that you should connect your phone to the box via bluetooth, and then connect the Tesla's Wifi to the box. Then get to the box's UI from the Tesla browser, and configure the box's WiFi to connect to the Internet via your phone's hotspot, or a Cellular modem like I have in the car.

However, it seems like the car won't connect to a WiFi network that has no Internet connection. I get the error "could not connect to network". It's a chicken and egg situation because I have to get to the box's UI in order to configure its WiFi and connect it to the Internet, but I can't do that before the Tesla recognizes the box is actually connected to the Internet?

Could this be a new limitation which is breaking the flow of how to set up this Ownice box? The reason I suspect it's a new limitation is that I watched videos of folks installing the box, and did not encounter this problem.
Any advice on what to do in this situation?

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Seeing similar WiFi connectivity issue with my 2023 Model Y v11.1 (2023.44.30.5.1) and Ownice AI Box for Tesla, although it may have been broken with a prior update as I don’t use CarPlay everyday. Hope this gets resolved soon or if anyone knows a workaround, please share!

Seeing similar WiFi connectivity issue with my 2023 Model Y v11.1 (2023.44.30.5.1) and Ownice AI Box for Tesla, although it may have been broken with a prior update as I don’t use CarPlay everyday. Hope this gets resolved soon or if anyone knows a workaround, please share!
Following up…

I was experiencing this issue with my Tesla Model Y ‘23 / iPhone (iOS 17). Reached out to the Ownice sales team via email and got a solution. After updating the box to v2.8.14 I was able to use CarPlay again. Hope this works for you!

Please upgrade it to the newest firmware.
1. Forget Device in Bluetooth on phone.
2. Connect to Tsl-xxxx via Bluetooth again
3. Select Share Contacts
4. After a moment, tap Connect to CarPlay when offered
3. After carplay is connected, go to Safari and enter 3.3.3.3, click update.
4. Connect Tesla WiFi to Tsl-xxxx and enter password “12345678”
5. Turn on Personal Hotspot on iPhone
6. Open Tesla web browser and enter URL: autoaibox.link

Make sure your phone is connected to car via Bluetooth. Choose routing option to Bluetooth if necessary (top left icon in one of the audio apps (ex. Music, Streaming, Podcasts, Spotify app) and select Bluetooth option.