Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will remove Metallic Silver/Obsidian Black Metallic from Configuration (available off-menu)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Moderator note (bmah): Edited thread title by OP request, see this post down-thread for clarification/correction:
Tesla will remove Metallic Silver/Obsidian Black Metallic from Configuration (available off-menu)

Tesla to eliminate some paint options to increase production efficiency, gives last chance to order

From a Tesla email to Model 3 reservation holders and others, quote: “In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

Last year Tesla stopped offering Metallic Silver for serveral months, but then it came back.

Kelly Blue Book says silver is the most popular color in the US for luxury cars. I’m surprised Tesla is dropping it.

——————————————————————————————————————————
Best Car Color To Buy, The Monetary Value of Car Color | Kelley Blue Book

Popular Colors for Luxury
Silver is the main color of choice for Luxury vehicles, which make up 8.6% of the car market. Silver rose nearly 14% in one year's time in this category resulting in a whopping one-third of all Luxury vehicles sporting silver tones. Two variations of white made up another 30% of this category, leaving the remaining colors to round out the mix. An interesting observation is that black, which was once the premier color for luxury vehicles, has hit its lowest mark in years at 8.5%.

1. Silver - 32.1%
  2. White Metallic - 17.7%
  3. White - 11.8%
  4. Med/Dk. Blue 8.6%
  5. Black - 8.5%
  6. Med./Dk. Gray 7.2%
  7. Med. Red - 6%
  8. Gold - 3%
  9. Med/Dk Green - 1.8%
  10. Light Brown - 1.7%

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla to eliminate some paint options to increase production efficiency, gives last chance to order

From a Tesla email to Model 3 reservation holders and others, quote: “In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

Last year Tesla stopped offering Metallic Silver for serveral months, but then it came back.

They temporarily discontinued Metallic Silver last year? I do remember this happening back in April-ish 2015, soon after I configured my (yep, Metallic Silver) Model S.

Bruce.

Our first Tesla was silver. We now have a red S 100D and blue X 100D.

Tesla discontinued the silver for a while - and then brought it back.

Would not be surprised to see the color options limited for a while - and then updated again months or a year from now, once Tesla has achieved their near term manufacturing and profitability goals.

In the press release it says "The company's service centers, which make repairs on cars already sold, will stock the paint colors."
Does that mean more work for service centers and that premium colors will not be painted at the factory?
Or that SC's will now do the body work paint job instead of authorized shops?
Or that they'll just sell the paint to anyone?

I'd go with the originator,,

colors.JPG

CORRECTION: As noted by @Don TLR my post that started this thread is incorrect. And I received an email from Tesla last night, quote:

“In order to streamline manufacturing, we will be reducing our car paint ordering options from seven to five colors on Thursday.

Starting Friday, Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will only be offered as off-menu, limited edition colors at $2,000. They currently cost $1,500.

Model 3 orders placed before Friday in Metallic Silver or Obsidian Black Metallic will be produced on an expedited basis, so may be available as soon as two to four weeks.”
———————————————————————-

So Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will continue to be available but at a cost of $2,000 and they will not be listed in the online configurator so will likely be ordered less frequently in the future. Whether or not those colors will continue to be shown in Tesla showrooms I can’t say, but my guess is they will not since Tesla is apparently trying to discourage people from ordering them.