Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X Brake wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Tesla X with 60000km and just had the third annual servicing at the local service centre in Calgary. I was told that I need front brake pads and rotors replaced and maybe the callipers for $2500. They said it was partly due to my using standard regen settings during our winters. So they are saying that using the brakes LESS caused my pads (1mm left) to wear MORE! They blamed it on corrosive effects of salt on the brakes. I am not a hard driver, especially on the brakes. I have probably had about 5 emergency stops in the past 3 years. I have also noticed when washing the car, there is black dust that often washes out of the front wheels, presumably brake dust. I have never experienced brake wear like this in any car I have ever owned. The service people insist that this is not uncommon in colder climates. Anyone else have this experience?

Rich Rebuild covered a little of this in his last video. Based on what he was saying the lack of use can cause the brake pad backing to rust faster and that the pads can actually breakdown due to not being used. Sounds like this is much worse in areas that use road treatments in the winter. In a normal car the brakes get up to operating temp and it “burns” off the water, etc. Tesla is using regular break pads instead of developing them specifically for EVS that don’t use them often or in the same way under normal driving. Rich recommended a special brake pad that is galvanized and uses a different kind of process to mount the pad backing plate. Take it for what it’s worth. At the very least you’ll see some examples of other OEM pads in the video under similar circumstances.

Rich Rebuild covered a little of this in his last video. Based on what he was saying the lack of use can cause the brake pad backing to rust faster and that the pads can actually breakdown due to not being used. Sounds like this is much worse in areas that use road treatments in the winter. In a normal car the brakes get up to operating temp and it “burns” off the water, etc. Tesla is using regular break pads instead of developing them specifically for EVS that don’t use them often or in the same way under normal driving. Rich recommended a special brake pad that is galvanized and uses a different kind of process to mount the pad backing plate. Take it for what it’s worth. At the very least you’ll see some examples of other OEM pads in the video under similar circumstances.

Thanks for the info. The service centre finally relented and replaced the worn and corroded parts at no charge. I guess I'll have to use my brakes more to reduce the corrosion on the pads and discs. Next time I'll put the rust resistant pads on.

Reactions: Hodginator