Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam - How big of a flash drive is best

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, I would utilize a SDXC card instead of the ubiquitous USB flash drive. The USB flash drives are not designed to deal with extreme temperature variations and the fast write speeds necessary if you are recording on multiple camera feeds.

The cameras are writing at 0.5 MB/sec each. So 1.5 MB/sec total.

Which is like 3-5 times slower than the slowest USB2.0 drives are capable of, let alone decent or actual good ones.

Speed is a complete non-issue with the tesla cameras.

As to temps, plenty of decent USB keys are rated for any temp you're likely to get inside a tesla (especially with overheat protection on)

Let's compare to your purchase in fact-

I
I bought two of these......
  • Reliability Built to Last – Water-proof, Shock-proof, Temperature-proof, X-ray-proof, Magnetic-proof
  • Transfer speeds up to 100MB/s
  • 5-year limited warranty
  • -13 degrees F to 185 degree F
I'm comparing here to same brand, same size, but a USB key.... specifically the Samsung FIT Plus, a USB key that is....

Water proof, shock proof, magnet proof, temperature proof, x-ray proof- same as yours.

5 year warranty- same as yours.

Transfer speeds up to 300MB/s- so much faster than yours... (but again, literally ANY USB2 or 3 storage is WAY faster than needed for this job)

Withstands -13°F to 185°F operating, -40°F to 185°F non-operating- same as yours (better if you count the non-operating temps I guess)

So basically the same or better specs in the USB key, versus your solution that costs about 50% more including the adapter.

The cameras are writing at 0.5 MB/sec each. So 1.5 MB/sec total.

Which is like 3-5 times slower than the slowest USB2.0 drives are capable of, let alone decent or actual good ones.

Speed is a complete non-issue with the tesla cameras.

As to temps, plenty of decent USB keys are rated for any temp you're likely to get inside a tesla (especially with overheat protection on)

Let's compare to your purchase in fact-

I'm comparing here to same brand, same size, but a USB key.... specifically the Samsung FIT Plus, a USB key that is....

Water proof, shock proof, magnet proof, temperature proof, x-ray proof- same as yours.

5 year warranty- same as yours.

Transfer speeds up to 300MB/s- so much faster than yours... (but again, literally ANY USB2 or 3 storage is WAY faster than needed for this job)

Withstands -13°F to 185°F operating, -40°F to 185°F non-operating- same as yours (better if you count the non-operating temps I guess)

So basically the same or better specs in the USB key, versus your solution that costs about 50% more including the adapter.

Except the high endurance microSD cards have real world performance feedback in stressful environments such as dashcams, action cams & most importantly:
  • Designed specifically for video monitoring cameras (dash cams, surveillance & security cams, CCTV, body cams, etc.)
over numerous recording cycles.

I am not sure you can say that about a usb thumb drive esp. one that heats up as much as the Samsung FIT (I have one).

• Informative
Reactions: Bill Price and Thp3
Except the high endurance microSD cards have real world performance feedback in stressful environments such as dashcams, action cams & most importantly:
  • Designed specifically for video monitoring cameras (dash cams, surveillance & security cams, CCTV, body cams, etc.)
over numerous recording cycles.

I am not sure you can say that about a usb thumb drive esp. one that heats up as much as the Samsung FIT (I have one).

and I'm not sure you can't.

Especially when, again, you're only recording 1.5MB/sec....not multiple 4k video feeds.

The keys in question are frequently used for things like boot drives in small servers, and see plenty of action.

SD cards use flash memory. USB keys use....flash memory.

The idea SD cards are somehow magically "better" or "specially designed for" video makes no sense.... mostly SD cards are used for dashcams because they're physically smaller so you can slide one into a slot in the camera instead of having a key sticking out of it.

Granted there's certainly different levels of flash memory quality and type- but samsung isn't putting junk in either.... (one way you can tell they're similar quality is the warranty, operating temp range, and condition resistances are all identical) and when talking about writing files that are a tiny % of a 128GB storage device you'd be looking at likewise tiny differences that won't matter to most unless you're keeping the car for decades...

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Casualties on the way to a petabyte

These guys did endurance testing on both TLC and MLC flash (what you'll find in decent to higher end flash storage devices like both the USB key I listed, and your more expensive SD card).

TLC is the "worst" so let's look at its math...

So in a given hour you record 5.4GB... to cycle through 128GB once you're talking over 23 hours of recording. 3000 cycles, the absolute low end for TLC, gives you over 71,000 hours of recording.

Let's say you are recording for 10 hours a day (8 hours at work, hour drive each way) though it'll likely average out to less with weekends, etc).... so that's 3650 hours per year.

71,000/3650= 19.45 years before even the low-end of life for the lesser type of flash memory. Or still over 8 years if you ran the cameras 24/7/365.

And again that's at the low end of the endurance cycle range for the lower spec type of flash used in most keys/sd cards.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bill Price
My previous USB drive was the Samsung FIT 32gb. It is also Water proof, Shock proof, magnet proof, temp proof, and X-ray proof with a 5-year warranty. Sentry mode killed it. I can see files on the drive but the drive can no longer be formatted. If I delete the files, Windows shows that the drive is empty, but as soon as I unplug and plug it back in, the files are back again. Granted this is not the same as the current FIT Plus drives but it has the 5 year warranty and other features like the Plus. Maybe my drive was a dud but it was working fine with dashcam prior to sentry mode update.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
I'm using a 128GB microSD card (Blackvue) in this card reader (USB-A/USB-C): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1J88CF
Someone here mentioned the one-day sale Amazon had on the Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance card (29.99) the other day and managed to pick up a second back up card. I bought 2 card readers for the this purpose. We've haven't had any problems with Blackvue cards in our Blackvue dashcam (run that 24/7) but this will be the first time using the Samsung one. I have been concerned about heat in the enclosed front usb area during warmer temps so a few weeks back decided to update to the dashcam microSD cards instead of the USB flashdrive I was using. Still seeing green corruption on some of the video files even after switching over. Don’t think it’s the media.

32FAC109-E220-414C-AD02-5758D6F659DB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Knightshade
My previous USB drive was the Samsung FIT 32gb. It is also Water proof, Shock proof, magnet proof, temp proof, and X-ray proof with a 5-year warranty. Sentry mode killed it. I can see files on the drive but the drive can no longer be formatted. If I delete the files, Windows shows that the drive is empty, but as soon as I unplug and plug it back in, the files are back again. Granted this is not the same as the current FIT Plus drives but it has the 5 year warranty and other features like the Plus. Maybe my drive was a dud but it was working fine with dashcam prior to sentry mode update.
I have had the same thing happen. These drives have a limited number of write cycles and once that number has been reached, they are pretty much useless except they will hold the data that was on the drive but it cannot be written to.

I had a spare 64GB micro SD card hanging around so I thought I could use it for the teslacam. I used a third party app to format the entire 64GB as FAT32, but it's didn't work at all with the Tesla. From what I remember, the Tesla did recognize the drive but I could never get it to record on the drive. After I partitioned the drive into 2 32 gigabyte sections, I was able to write to it properly.
So has anyone been able to take a larger drive (>32gb) and format it to FAT32 and have it work?

I had a spare 64GB micro SD card hanging around so I thought I could use it for the teslacam. I used a third party app to format the entire 64GB as FAT32, but it's didn't work at all with the Tesla. From what I remember, the Tesla did recognize the drive but I could never get it to record on the drive. After I partitioned the drive into 2 32 gigabyte sections, I was able to write to it properly.
So has anyone been able to take a larger drive (>32gb) and format it to FAT32 and have it work?
Yes..........using the SDXC chips and holders described in my former post, I have formated the entire drives and they work magnificently.

I have had the same thing happen. These drives have a limited number of write cycles and once that number has been reached, they are pretty much useless except they will hold the data that was on the drive but it cannot be written to.

With a 128GB drive (which is probably as small as you'd want to go for sentry use) it would take something between 8-20 years to reach the minimum number of write cycles on even cheaper USB keys, depending if you're using it say 8 hours a day or 24/7... let alone the higher end drives which are much higher than that- see post 23 in this thread for the math

With a 128GB drive (which is probably as small as you'd want to go for sentry use) it would take something between 8-20 years to reach the minimum number of write cycles on even cheaper USB keys, depending if you're using it say 8 hours a day or 24/7... let alone the higher end drives which are much higher than that- see post 23 in this thread for the math
All I can say is that I've had flash drives fail because they've reached their max # of writes. And they were only a couple of years old and not used that much. I've never had a SD card fail (although I'm sure that happens also), so I'm using a 64 Gb microSD card with this reader:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KTMF41J
Yes, a larger card would be better, but I already had the 64 Gb so I'm using it.

Still seeing green corruption on some of the video files even after switching over. Don’t think it’s the media.

Green corruption? I'm seeing corruption on my SDXC card, but ONLY on one feed, from the left camera. It also has a lot of pixelation and animate objects jump forward and back rapidly. Does this sound like what you have? Anyone else seeing this? I looked at the files and while the front camera and right camera are recording files approximately 29MB, the left one is recording files that are about 7-8MB in length or less. I'm assuming something is wrong with the left side camera or the video cable or loose connection and have scheduled a trip to the SC to rectify the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
The green corruption people are referring to on their video clips. Also inserting a photo of a type of corruption I have seen when my car is parked facing our garage door and I think it might be related to the LED light fixtures that are on the sides of the garage door. I don't see this on images from the front camera of the garage door during daylight.
green corruption - 1 (1).jpgled light corruption maybe - 1.jpg

I have occasional green on right repeater, less on front, mostly on left. Occasionally I'll get zero byte files where there's nothing apparently being recording from a camera. Yes, occasionally distoration -- sometimes feel it's motion blur but then I've been parked at a drive thru and not moving and the wall for example closest to the left repeater will get all distorted so wondering if it's a focus problem. Honestly after weeks of recording and viewing all the files and trying two different kinds of media to record, I'm not sure what to make other than I don't think it's the media. Still very cool outside so don't think it's a heat related issue. I have wondered about the camera connnections so will be curious what your service says. Other people have said that their green corruption is on their right repeater so can't say it's consistent across the Model 3s.

Interestingly I've seen a few people on TMC post that they don't have any corruption issues. Makes me wonder if they have watched all their files. Some times I'll see the green on the thumbnail for the file on my drive, but other times when the thumbnail looks fine and I go to play the movie it will have green on it. Always the bottom portion as others have also indicated. It does seem that when my file size is less than 29+MB it will show green corruption when viewing.

Very curious what your service visit determines. Since the cameras for this purpose haven't been on for all that long (via firmware updates), I'm guessing this is a relatively new issue the SvCs might be seeing.

Last edited:
The green corruption people are referring to on their video clips. Also inserting a photo of a type of corruption I have seen when my car is parked facing our garage door and I think it might be related to the LED light fixtures that are on the sides of the garage door. I don't see this on images from the front camera of the garage door during daylight.
View attachment 395170View attachment 395172

I have occasional green on right repeater, less on front, mostly on left. Occasionally I'll get zero byte files where there's nothing apparently being recording from a camera. Yes, occasionally distoration -- sometimes feel it's motion blur but then I've been parked at a drive thru and not moving and the wall for example closest to the left repeater will get all distorted so wondering if it's a focus problem. Honestly after weeks of recording and viewing all the files and trying two different kinds of media to record, I'm not sure what to make other than I don't think it's the media. Still very cool outside so don't think it's a heat related issue. I have wondered about the camera connnections so will be curious what your service says. Other people have said that their green corruption is on their right repeater so can't say it's consistent across the Model 3s.

Interestingly I've seen a few people on TMC post that they don't have any corruption issues. Makes me wonder if they have watched all their files. Some times I'll see the green on the thumbnail for the file on my drive, but other times when the thumbnail looks fine and I go to play the movie it will have green on it. Always the bottom portion as others have also indicated. It does seem that when my file size is less than 29+MB it will show green corruption when viewing.

Very curious what your service visit determines. Since the cameras for this purpose haven't been on for all that long (via firmware updates), I'm guessing this is a relatively new issue the SvCs might be seeing.

As this is off topic, I don't know if one of the moderators wants to move this and start a new topic called green corruption? In any case, got an update to 2019.8.5 last night and installed it. Got the following text message from Tesla....."Good Morning, This is Tesla service. We were reviewing your appointment notes and started reviewing vehicle logs. At this time, we do not see any alerts for the cameras malfunctioning. The video quality may be related to a corrupt file. Our diagnostic technician recommends to reformat the flash drive properly and use either Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player to play back the video. Let us know how it works after you have done this. If the issue persists, please let us know and we will continue diagnosis."

After having followed their suggestion, I cannot get the media to connect to the car. Checked and rechecked everything and it is correct. Took another standard 16gb USB drive, formatted it to FAT32, made the TeslaCam folder and after having put it into the female USB connection on the car, it came up working. Reinserted the larger drive and it still doesn't see the drive. The little icon comes up but with a grey x beside it. I'm so exasperated! It worked fine before the 2019.8.5 update and the reformatting of the drive.

Green corruption? I'm seeing corruption on my SDXC card, but ONLY on one feed, from the left camera. It also has a lot of pixelation and animate objects jump forward and back rapidly. Does this sound like what you have? Anyone else seeing this? I looked at the files and while the front camera and right camera are recording files approximately 29MB, the left one is recording files that are about 7-8MB in length or less. I'm assuming something is wrong with the left side camera or the video cable or loose connection and have scheduled a trip to the SC to rectify the problem.

Having same issues with my Left Repeater cam.
Lots of lag & pixelation while car is @ rest.
When in motion, the picture improves marginally but nowhere as clear as Front & right Repeater.

Have not checked size of video files yet to see differences - will do tonight.
Am using a Samsung FIT flash drive.
Let us know how your Service Center trip turns out.