Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Domination...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, Folks.

For those of you who haven't already seen this, thought I'd pass along my presentation from the EV Transportation & Technology Summit, which demonstrates pretty thoroughly why Tesla is the Usain Bolt of the EV space (well, even more than that, but not thinking of a better comparison right now). It also includes a number of unique findings from surveys we conducted with >2000 EV drivers and potential EV drivers. Here it is:

Importance of Tesla Superchargers, Battery Upgrades, Electric Car Benefits... (My EV Summit Presentation) | CleanTechnica

And regarding those surveys, I ended up publishing a 70-page report about the results. Articles related to that report are here:

Electric Cars: What Early Adopters First Followers Want Archives | CleanTechnica

Hope you enjoy!

Good stuff--thanks for sharing.

I have always had some qualms about the chart in slide 12. If we look at the Bolt, which is really the only car for which we have the data, based on the chart, it should be competitive regardless of the price of gas. If we are looking at folks that are already predisposed to buying a EV and willing to pay somewhat of a premium, perhaps that it true, but for mass-market, I am not sure I buy this. The Bolt will be $30K (assuming max tax credit, which is questionable), I would venture you might cross shop it against the Chevy Sonic, which has similar dimension but is about half the price. I cannot seem too many buyers paying near 100% premium simply for an electric drivetrain. In GM's case, unless there is some dealer incentive involved, I also cannot see a sales person investing the time in getting someone into a Bolt when Sonic or Cruze will be an easier and quicker sell. I am guessing the chart looks at total cost of ownership, versus capital cost, but I am not sure most buyers look at it that way--I think most buy a car based on the monthly payment they can afford.

I think Tesla will run into less of an issue because the $35K target price of the M3 is inline with the starting price of a BMW 328 or Audi A4, so there is no EV premium (or EV tax if you are a detractor).

Thoughts?