Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslawaze problems and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently upgraded my June built 2016 P90D with a new MCU2. I had been using Teslawaze for over 3 years with no problems. Now with the new MCU2 the Teslawaze maps screen stops working (after about 10 minutes) and I get a white screen with a few icons. In order to get the map back I have to either try and refresh the screen or go to another app ( like camera or energy ) and then go back to the web again. This problem now happens every time I drive the car.

I'm wanted to see how many other members are having the same issue and if you have had this what if anything was done to fix it. I have had the car back to the service center a few times with no real fix. They cleared the memory at least once. They also had me do a factory reset once. I seam to have a good enough cell connection when this happens. I'm starting to think there maybe something wrong with the new MCU2. Like I said earlier, this never happened with the original MCU1.

I am surprised it worked with MCU1. I couldn't load any page with my MCU1 browser, much less something like TeslaWaze.

FWIW, I use my phone for Waze alerts. I don't use the app to navigate, but I do launch it and have the alerts come through the speaker. (The BT connection is silent when streaming music through the MCU.) Sure, I can't see the alerts on the big screen, but it's the audible notices that I pay attention to.

I've actually never used TeslaWaze for more than a few minutes to try it out. I like the idea of using Waze as the navigation and for audible alerts of police and crashes, but I didn't like the fact that music could not be displayed at the same time, and there is no voice integration. I didn't check long enough to see if there were audio alerts with TeslaWaze.

If I run an errand today I'll give it a try and see if it screws up.

I tried it out yesterday on a 17 minute drive and it had no weird artifacts.

What I meant WRT music was that I can't browse songs or like songs with TeslaWaze visible. I also have to sacrifice one of the IC display "panels" to the currently playing music if I want info on the song.

Ideally we could use Waze like everyone with Android Auto does - integrated into the MCU itself. I think the next best thing is to use the Tesla navigation and then to use Waze on your phone. You can leave it running with the screen off so it doesn't kill your phone's battery. Just have it announce alerts through the phone speaker unless you are also listening to bluetooth on your phone. This seems to be the best compromise.

I forgot to update this thread. After the new MCU2 upgrade Teslawaze still would only work for a few minutes. Now after updating to version 2021.44.5 the website will even come in. I went by my local SC yesterday so they could see in person what was happening. Hopefully they get back with me next week with a answer.

I forgot to update this thread. After the new MCU2 upgrade Teslawaze still would only work for a few minutes. Now after updating to version 2021.44.5 the website will even come in. I went by my local SC yesterday so they could see in person what was happening. Hopefully they get back with me next week with a answer.
Teslawaze has been intermittently having issues for awhile in Tesla browser. On my 2018 with MCU2 I started getting the same white box that you described. A reboot would sometimes get it to work once. And then on my new 2021+ Teslawaze suddenly stopped loading last week. Other websites work fine on both cars. So I think it may be more related to the website code and compatibility issues.

Teslawaze has been intermittently having issues for awhile in Tesla browser. On my 2018 with MCU2 I started getting the same white box that you described. A reboot would sometimes get it to work once. And then on my new 2021+ Teslawaze suddenly stopped loading last week. Other websites work fine on both cars. So I think it may be more related to the website code and compatibility issues.
Same situation for me. My 2019 has the same issue the OP mentioned and my Plaid had the same thing happen that you experienced. Really sucks using Waze on my phone when in the Plaid since my phone is always sitting in the wireless charging area on the console.

Now that I think about the timing, I’m wondering if Teslawaze is Java based and impacted by the Log4j cyber vulnerability. Tesla may be blocking websites with unpatched or risky code. I read that someone tried to demonstrate vulnerability by renaming their Tesla car (and iPhone) to the text string that hacks access Java admin functions.

Here is a more detailed technical explanation of why the car location now has limited resolution from the original Teslawaze developer.

They no longer pass thru the heading information.
Also the latitude/longitude resolution is limited to only 3 decimal points. This causes the car icon (direction) to jump around, especially in the horizontal position.
Below is the issue. You can see the longitude is only accurate to three decimal places. That is between 250-500ft of accuracy lost, which is about the size of a city block. They also use to give heading info, and now that is also not provided.

1649988224309.png