Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLIVE - Volunteer Opportunities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to help as needed. I should be in the area and available at least two days early, having been working in Marin. Will likely be driving my truck so I could pick up - haul (big & heavy ok) - set up etc. My main skill is give me a task & I'll do it. The truck has the added value of making the Teslas look REALLY NICE by comparison! Like they need help. It does have a pretty cool license plate tho. ML

i would also like to volunteer to be passenger seat ballast on Sun.

I'm a student at Cal and am very interested in EVs (did battery modeling research, work on power systems for our solar car race team). I've volunteered at many conferences and seminars in Berkeley and SF and would love to help out here too!

Right now we need a local person to help plan the route - something interesting, drive it, finalize it. We will supply some experienced help (ie, someone who has planned plenty of group drives, just not for this area). It just needs to be someone local who knows the area well.

I know the area fairly well. Do we want windy mountain road through the trees?
I was thinking something like this:
(Start at Tesla HQ, end at Tesla Menlo Park)
route1.jpg

About 30 miles, about 1 hour of driving.

Depending on the size of the group, it could end with lunch at Buck's in Woodside, or one of the many restaurants at Stanford Shopping Center.

Last edited:
View attachment 21739

Depending on the size of the group, it could end with lunch at Buck's in Woodside, or one of the many restaurants at Stanford Shopping Center.

Page mill was my thought too! That was the first road I drove my S alone (ie: without my wife, who gets carsick)
except I went the other direction on Skyline to highway 9 into Saratoga

On our LA drives through the the Santa Monica mountains Mullholland, Topanga, Malibu we always end at a restaurant Even if we start at a restaurant. Some people have the whole day to kill and want to continue the talk.

Wouldn't we want to start at the TESLIVE hotel, even if we don't end there?

Here's another possibility - lots of chargers along the route (880) for any emergencies. Start at the hotel and end at Santana Row.
73 miles, ~ 2 hours drive

tesla_drive.JPG

or similiar to TEG's route but start at the hotel and end at Santana row, 60 miles ~1 and a half hour drive

tesla_drive2.JPG

I think many locals will be staying at their various homes, and many of the "out of towners" won't have their car with them.
So, having a set meet / staging place would make sense to me rather than trying to join up at the hotel.
People staying at the hotel could leave the hotel as they are ready and make their way over to the meeting area just like people coming in from other places.
Also, it sounds like some people are opting to stay at different hotels than the one hosting the convention.

If starting place was Tesla HQ, we may not have permission to actually go into their parking lot, but Deer Creek Road on a Sunday morning is basically deserted, so we could start lining up cars in a long convoy ("Photo-op in front of Tesla HQ sign") getting ready for the procession to head over to Page-Mill.

The route I described is similar to what they had early Roadster customers do in the prototype vehicles when the company first started. Sort of historically appropriate in that way. Note, on a Sunday morning, those mountain roads have a lot of bicyclists. Any such "rally" would need to drive cautiously and respectfully. This wouldn't be a high speed race.

Happy to volunteer!

My girlfriend and I will be arriving late Thursday, so we can help with setup on Friday and we'll be around around on Sunday for tear-down help.
I'm skilled in organizing data, like Google Docs setup to share info, signups, etc. I can help with signups to charging needs, etc with forms people can submit online.
I'd like to volunteer with the parking logistics and to help execute the drive event.
I've been a first responder/emergency medical responder at my last few jobs, so I can be on that list too.

-Andy