Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive and buying Model Y in Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be prepared if you go to Tysons. It's easy to take a test drive, but I regret ordering and delivering there. It is SO busy -- way too many vehicles to handle, and they continuously seem overwhelmed. Don't expect any personal service. Your car will show up, and someone you have never spoken to before will tell you when to pick it up, but that's about it. Don't expect any information between the time you order and the text that arrives telling you to schedule delivery. And don't expect emails or calls to be returned in between. Not a terrible experience but not very satisfying if you are used to buying any premium vehicle before. Just be prepared. I think you might have better luck at a SC in a smaller location.

Reactions: astrobill
I've had a good ordering experience with the Tyco location:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/good-ordering-experience-so-far.204658/

Test drive was great and they followed up with a call after we ordered. Service appears to be getting better with the opening of the Sterling Service Center taking some of the workload off Tysons, but that’s only service - not delivery. Tesla's process being what it is, most everything since ordering has been through text or web, including delivery scheduling. On that note, my delivery was delayed four days due to weather and trucking delays. First notification was a text and I received a follow up call yesterday.

So, I would say test drive wherever is convenient and then schedule delivery where you're most comfortable, they don’t have to be the same. I live 15 min from Tyco, so that was an easy decision for me. Wherever you decide, just be prepared for a highly automated process with sparse human interaction once you order. Candidly, I like the easy-going and low pressure experience as compared to traditional dealerships.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Thank you. Anyone has experience with Richmond?
Yes, I'm "midstream" in a purchase of MY from Richmond.

I visited on 8/29 & 8/30 to test drive (first M3, then MY). The test drive experience was great...zero pressure, plenty of time with car, good tutorial pre-drive on how to use the car, etc.

Placed my order on 8/30. Got a VIN assigned a few days later (found out online). All communication since has been initiated by me--which is frustrating, but it sounds like not uncommon for Tesla. My delivery date was originally 9/22 and it's now been pushed 4 times (usually the day before scheduled delivery). Essentially, my car is stuck at the railyard in Alabama and I can get no info on when it will be put on a truck....my SA is trying to get me info (at least I think he's trying), but it seems like they are completely powerless in the process.

So...all in all, I'd say I'm frustrated at Tesla and their screwy logistics, but overall Richmond SC hasn't been bad.

Yes, I'm "midstream" in a purchase of MY from Richmond.

I visited on 8/29 & 8/30 to test drive (first M3, then MY). The test drive experience was great...zero pressure, plenty of time with car, good tutorial pre-drive on how to use the car, etc.

Placed my order on 8/30. Got a VIN assigned a few days later (found out online). All communication since has been initiated by me--which is frustrating, but it sounds like not uncommon for Tesla. My delivery date was originally 9/22 and it's now been pushed 4 times (usually the day before scheduled delivery). Essentially, my car is stuck at the railyard in Alabama and I can get no info on when it will be put on a truck....my SA is trying to get me info (at least I think he's trying), but it seems like they are completely powerless in the process.

So...all in all, I'd say I'm frustrated at Tesla and their screwy logistics, but overall Richmond SC hasn't been bad.

Not sure if it helps, but Tyco told me yesterday that my car would leave AL today.

When I ordered my Model Y in August, I used a referral code, and saw the code on my initial order confirmation. It went away a few days later, however, and when I recently asked about it, I was told by a Tesla SA such codes were "illegal" in Virginia. That sounds a bit fishy to me.
Basically, there's a law in Virginia that says that someone with a dealer's license cannot be compensated for selling a vehicle. So, it is technically not legal for the 'referrer' to receive supercharger miles for referring someone to buy. As I understand it, it is legal for the person being referred to receive miles IF the referrer is outside of Virginia. Silly? Absolutely

Basically, there's a law in Virginia that says that someone with a dealer's license cannot be compensated for selling a vehicle. So, it is technically not legal for the 'referrer' to receive supercharger miles for referring someone to buy. As I understand it, it is legal for the person being referred to receive miles IF the referrer is outside of Virginia. Silly? Absolutely

What you say makes sense, but in this case, the referrer was outside VA (California) and I was told he got his miles, but I (the buyer, buying in Virginia and a Virginia resident) could not receive my miles.