Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Ordering Experience so Far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard a lot of horror stories about people's ordering experiences, and wanted to share mine - which have been great - so far.

I test drove a MY in mid July, but didn't order one because I saw quality as too variable. While the fit and finish on the LR MY I drove was great, there were two Performance MYs which I would have had a hard time accepting.

Fast forward a month and the quality of the 30k VINs convinced me to take the plunge and we ordered a MY Aug. 23. By far, the easiest car buying process I've ever been through. I received a follow up text the next day asking me to fill out delivery location, registration, etc.., and also received a call from the service advisor who helped us on our test drive. This was a really nice touch, and he told me we could expect to hear more on delivery in a couple weeks.

Still early in the process, but I've started the things we need to bring a MY home; bought the TESLA NEMA 14-50 adapter, NEMA 14-50 installation, getting a Dashcam drive, testing WIFI coverage where I park, and downloading the app. A little closer, I'll also get a Trolley jack and jack pucks; other accessories to follow.

No VIN or delivery date yet (I'm expecting late Sept), but I'm off too a good start and am hopeful my MY will have the updated taillights and single-piece rear underbody casting!

Reactions: oakvillemike
I too have had a very similar process so far. I think the key is that we both did a test drive prior to purchase and have a Sales person working with us to move things along, answer questions, etc. Hope everything continues to go smooth for us through delivery.

See lots of posts here where people have no one to contact when issues arise prior to delivery which I'm sure happens if you just directly order it. It's really unfortunate and something Tesla should address, would be extremely frustrating.

I've had a good experience with the ordering part too. My SA from one location was good as well, and so is from the other one. I changed the delivery location. They answered all my questions and gave me VIN and build dates. Hoping the car is perfect when it arrives since I chose white.

A service center is also 10 min away from me.

i've had a very similar experience as you so far; i ordered about a week before you did, and the interaction with the local staff during test drive & ordering has been really positive. CO_MY's point above about having done a test drive totally makes sense, having a direct connection to a local staffer definitely helps.

did you test drive at the Tyco location and are you planning to pickup there? i've heard mixed experiences on the delivery/service at that location, so am a little apprehensive about that when it comes time.

Reactions: CO_MY
Congrats!

I did test drive at Tyco, and found them very helpful. I’ve seen some negative feedback on them (seemed to be workload related), but after speaking with the SA, I’m comfortable. Some of the service work is moving to the new Sterling SC, but that’s not a delivery center. Not sure if it will be, but even if so, I wouldn’t have changed locations. The people at Tyco seem competent and the new SC should make their workload more manageable.

yeah completely agree with your comments on the sales staff at Tyco, felt completely confident after the interactions i've had so far - far better than at any regular car dealerships.

I wasn't aware there was a SC in Sterling now, that's great to know... very interested to hear how the rest of the process goes and Tyco - and which of us gets a delivery date first lol

Similar time frame for me, but different contact experience. Test drove early to mid July. Decided to wait till more positive reports started to show up. During this time, I had a number of emails and calls with SA. He was pushy, though not totally obnoxious (just sort of). I placed my order a week ago and sent him an email updating this. Crickets, not a word. I guess SA love only lasts till the down payment.

yeah completely agree with your comments on the sales staff at Tyco, felt completely confident after the interactions i've had so far - far better than at any regular car dealerships.

I wasn't aware there was a SC in Sterling now, that's great to know... very interested to hear how the rest of the process goes and Tyco - and which of us gets a delivery date first lol

Have you gotten a delivery date yet? Mine is scheduled for Friday.

I also want to give a shout out to my local SA at Indianapolis. I’ve bought a 3 and a Y here over the past 2 years, and the SA has been nothing short of excellence. Good communication consistently. Much much better than normal dealerships fo sure!