Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive and buying Model Y in Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep regenerative braking on Standard, you should be able to adapt within a few stops. Very different, but pretty cool once you get it down. Play with the car settings a bit; side mirrors, heat/cooling controls. As with any test drive, try a variety of road conditions, rough and smooth. Try to hit highway speeds if you can. And have fun!

Thanks for the tip sjmcman. Richmond was very busy. Guy came in while I was there in a Porsche 911 Turbo convertible to test a Y and they were like we are booked.

My experience was great. They had two Y test drives slotted for my time and the other people were already there, so I got a brand new Performance model. They asked if was ok if I waited for them to take off all the plastic, stickers etc and I said sure no problem.

The SA gave me a quick rundown of how things worked and sent me off for 40 minutes. I was concerned reading so much on the forum how some people thought the ride is harsh, so I expected it to be bumpy on 21 inch performance wheels. However it reminded me of a Lexus 350 I had, very soft and smooth. You could feel some bumps but nothing compared to my BMW X1 M. At the same time it gave me the acceleration I craved from a BMW X1 M I had owned - which was much more of a rough ride. The engine was pretty much silent and cabin noise was very good. I was able to test a long straight highway onramp - WOW.

Also I am currently driving a Focus RS which is really a rough ride. Getting in and out of the Y is perfect, you are not climbing up into it or down into - you just slide in. Seats are great- very comfortable. I have recaro seats in my current care. The roof is really nice, can't appreciate it from a picture. Storage space was impressive.

I didn't use the autopilot but it was interesting to see it detecting the traffic lights turning red and green and having their changes sync with the actual streetlights. The car had to calibrate while I was driving because it was new.

At Tyco on Sat. It was busy but we had the car for as long as we want. We drove the Y first and the SA told us To drive as long as we want and told us to come back once we felt satisfied with the regular features and the he would show us the auto pilot. We came back, our Y did not have the feature, so we drove a 3 with it. So we tested 2 cars.
All in all it was good. I really like the regen braking. I was surprised that I liked the spartan interior as compared to our BMW. As I said, we are ready to order the Y although if we do not need the extra cargo space, we probably would have gone with the 3.

Be prepared if you go to Tysons. It's easy to take a test drive, but I regret ordering and delivering there. It is SO busy -- way too many vehicles to handle, and they continuously seem overwhelmed. Don't expect any personal service. Your car will show up, and someone you have never spoken to before will tell you when to pick it up, but that's about it. Don't expect any information between the time you order and the text that arrives telling you to schedule delivery. And don't expect emails or calls to be returned in between. Not a terrible experience but not very satisfying if you are used to buying any premium vehicle before. Just be prepared. I think you might have better luck at a SC in a smaller location.

Concur about Tysons. I posted a lengthy response to another thread about my chaotic frustrating week-long delivery saga experience with them. And they never answer their phones, voicemail is always full, and the phone system sends you in circles. You'll never be able to deal with the same person twice, and if you *ever* need to talk to them about anything, plan on having to drive there. It's kind of run like a young sub-millennial internet bubble company.

Last edited: