Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

edb49

Sep 17, 2016
UK
I'll start with a really quick summary. I bought a Model 3, taking delivery in July 2019 and paying £5800 for the FSD extra. My view was that Tesla had failed to deliver on the contract with how they described FSD at the time, and so I ended up taking them to court for £5800 plus interest and costs. Just before the court hearing was about to take place, Tesla settled with me, the core of the settlement being:
- FSD removed from my car, e.g. just standard Autopilot
- Tesla paying me a little over £8000

That's the summary, if you'd like to hear more read on! I posted a thread earlier this year (February) to find out if anyone had previous experience suing Tesla about FSD:
No one was able/willing to come forward with their experience, so this post is to help others out who were in the position I was.

I took delivery of my Model 3 in the first batch on 20/06/2019 - I think this may have been the first day for delivery. I had ticked the FSD option, which was £5800 on the order agreement. When ordered my Model 3 I was pretty excited about FSD - they were saying the city streets feature was going to be ready by the end of 2019, and had posted the video of a Model X navigating to the Tesla facility and parking. Clearly, history shows they were miles away from delivering on their claim.

After considering this, I thought there was a clear legal claim that I had. The basis of the claim was Consumer Rights Act 2015 (“CRA”), section 11(1), which states:
Every contract to supply goods by description is to be treated as including a term that the goods will match the description.
The Tesla website during 2019 described the goods as follows:
Coming later this year:
Recognise and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
Automatic driving on city streets.
Because I ordered my car from Tesla directly, e.g. their website, any description they used then formed part of the contract - this was the basis of my claim.

The timeline of my interaction with Tesla/the court was as follows. I have attached some of the documents to this post, but redacted my address/car reg/VIN. (I have left in the claim number and my claim - I don't feel the need to redact those.)
2023-02-21: I sent the "Letter Before Action" which set out the legal basis for my claim before starting court action [Doc attached]
2023-03-07: Tesla replied, essentially denying my claim
2023-03-07: I issued court proceedings via the Money Claim Online website, a cost of £455 [Two docs attached]
2023-04-05: Telsa filed their defence which admitted the very thing I was claiming on!
2023-06-07: The court proposed to allocate this to the Small Claims track
2023-06-09: I filed the allocation questionnaire and requested the claim was heard at my local court
2023-08-08: The proceedings were transferred to my local court
2023-10-10: The court set directions (e.g. when witness statements should be exchanged)
2023-10-12: The court set a hearing date of 17th Nov
2023-10-16: Tesla sent a settlement offer... this then led to some to and fro which I'll set out in more detail below
2023-10-27: I signed a revised settlement offer (Tesla had already signed it)
2023-11-02: Two payments received in my bank account; £5,800.00 and £2,215.22

It seems to me like Telsa's desire to settle was triggered by the court hearing date being set. Their initial settlement offer had three things I didn't like in it:
1) They only offered £5800 - but if I was successful in court I would get 8% interest on this amount from 1st Jan 2020 to the judgement, as well as court fees.
2) There was a "non-advice" clause, that I wouldn't help anyone with a similar claim to mine.
3) There was a confidentiality clause, that I wouldn't be able to discuss with anyone about the settlement.

I happened to be on my emails when Tesla's first offer came in, so I replied within two minutes with a rather cheeky email:
Dear [Tesla representative's name redacted],

Thanks for the offer, but I am not going to accept it.

Yours sincerely,

---
Ed Butler

Anyway, after the tone had been appropriately set...! I decided to deal with the financial aspect, so I wrote back to Tesla to tell them that I thought I'd be successful in my court claim and essentially they'd have to pay the full value of the claim.

They then responded on 17th Oct with a new settlement agreement at the higher financial value I required, but £285.75 short. (They had the full amount of the claim that I issued, but my claim also had interest accruing at £1.27 per day.) I then came back to them in two emails to make a few changes:
- Add the £285.75 to the settlement amount
- Tidy up the legal language
- Remove the "non-advice" clause
- Remove the confidentiality clause

They came back to me saying they accepted most of the amendments but wouldn't remove the non-advice and confidentiality clauses.

Quite simply, I wasn't going to sign anything that put me in handcuffs and restrained what I could do. I would prefer to go to court and lose. I saw these two positions as impossible to meet in the middle - e.g. Tesla had said they're not removing the non-advice and confidentiality clauses, but I said it was a requirement for the settlement for them to do so. I didn't respond to their latest settlement offer and then on 24th Oct I had a follow up email saying they hadn't heard back from their 20th Oct email. (The 20th Oct one had the full financial value I was after, but kept the non-advice and confidentiality clauses. I replied saying:

Hi [Tesla representative's name redacted],

Sorry for the delay, it's half term and I'm away with my family.

I think we are too far apart; although we're there financially, I require the two "gagging" paragraphs from your proposed settlement letter to be removed but you will not remove them. I cannot see how we can reconcile these two positions.

I'll forward you the witness statement etc. in accordance with the court directions.

Best wishes,

---
Ed Butler

This led to them removing the two clauses, and we then proceeded to sign the settlement, they asked for my bank details and then made payment/removed FSD from my car.

By way of commentary, I think my claim was an absolute slam-dunk from a legal POV. Their defence had set out they intend to deliver city street driving in the future; therefore they hadn't delivered it by the end of 2019 which was what their website claimed they would do. The website was the description used to sell the car, and so the website formed part of the contract - very clear breach of contract.

From Telsa's POV, I am the worst type of litigator to take on. I am not a lawyer, but deal with them quite often in my day job so I know enough to put in a small claims action with confidence. The money wasn't important to me, I felt they'd conned me and I wanted them to do the right thing and put it right. Moreover, because the money wasn't important to me I was never going to sign up to a non-advice/confidentiality clause, I think it's important that my experience is out there for others to form their own views from.

There's lots of other detail I could put into this post, but I thought these were the interesting points. Happy to answer any questions!

Attachments

• 2023-02-21 Letter before action.pdf
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 2023-03-07 Filed claim form.pdf
    334.7 KB · Views: 505
  • 2023-03-07 Particulars of Claim.pdf
    136.1 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Well done you. Thank you for the update. A precedent has been set!
A precedent in the non-legal sense! I suspect one of the big reasons for Tesla wanting to settle is to avoid a court judgement against them. I got quite annoyed with them (and I still am) because I thought they were approaching my claim in a highly cynical way. e.g., I thought instead of looking at the legal merit and who was right/wrong on the claim, they were playing a numbers game of fighting until the last possible moment, trying to reduce the value of what they paid me, and trying to silence me.

I think there is a real possibility that they have a legal liabilities to 100s or 1000s of people in the UK in a similar position to me.

As discussed on email - excellent work.

I wonder if Tesla will bring pressure on the forum to remove this post. I’d be surprised if they didn’t, even though it is a matter of fact judgement.
It's one of the things I considered. I intentionally didn't quote any Tesla correspondence so everything was my material. If they successfully take it down here there are quite a few places it will reappear.

Well done!
I will follow the same "road" if cannot transfer FSD to next Model 3.
There are a couple of things I'd point out:

1) Tesla paid me a little over £8000 because of interest. I can actually add FSD now to my car in the app for £6800. It's not really for anyone to provide them with an interest free loan in the hope FSD will improve/transfer to the next car.

2) My experience with Tesla is they don't negotiate unless their hand is forced, so I think any opportunity to transfer it will be very much because they're running an offer rather than you've asked for it.

Excellent work and very well done indeed for sticking to your guns.

Hopefully this will in some small way persuade Tesla to reign in some of their more ridiculous promises and claims, but sadly somehow I doubt it.

USS park assist vs. Vision Park Assist having achieved 'performance parity' in Tesla's world earlier this year anyone?!? ;)

Last edited:
There are a couple of things I'd point out:

1) Tesla paid me a little over £8000 because of interest. I can actually add FSD now to my car in the app for £6800. It's not really for anyone to provide them with an interest free loan in the hope FSD will improve/transfer to the next car.

2) My experience with Tesla is they don't negotiate unless their hand is forced, so I think any opportunity to transfer it will be very much because they're running an offer rather than you've asked for it.
2) I'm waiting for that offer😉
No rush here.

Reactions: edb49
I’ve purchased FSD twice now and if my next car is a Tesla in the coming weeks I’ll be fed the same old BS to purchase it again for a third time. If my autopilot worked as it did a year or two ago I’d be moderately happy.

I remember 7 years ago when ordering my S, being told in the next few months my car will be close to driving like the Tesla videos. Fast forward 7 years and not a single breath of that statement could be further from the truth.

On my current car, a 3P, autopilot was far better the day I collected my car 4 years ago than it is today.

I’ve purchased FSD twice now and if my next car is a Tesla in the coming weeks I’ll be fed the same old BS to purchase it again for a third time. If my autopilot worked as it did a year or two ago I’d be moderately happy.

I remember 7 years ago when ordering my S, being told in the next few months my car will be close to driving like the Tesla videos. Fast forward 7 years and not a single breath of that statement could be further from the truth.

On my current car, a 3P, autopilot was far better the day I collected my car 4 years ago than it is today.
That would probably be a strand of a claim I would make, i.e. that Autopilot has gone backwards in functionality due to regulations, rather than the other way around. This has never stopped Tesla withdrawing it from sale, or discounting it to allow for a reevaluation of where things are. Hell, Tesla have been continuing to sell EAP/FSD at full price since removing ultrasonics with core features (Summon, Autopark) completely absent.

Reactions: marchino