Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Vehicle Title & Registration Waiver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry drdumont. I guess I was not clear about Austin. I was referring to the experience at the Austin tax office, not Austin in general. Overall, we have found Austin an absolutely amazing place to live. It has become one of our favorite places in the US, which is why we bought a place there in 2019.

The nonsensical government imposed regulatory requirements in Texas put in place by the governor and the legislature to help their rich donor buddies (car dealerships) that forces needless, burdensome bureaucracy on people wanting to buy Teslas is what I take issue with.
Oh indeed, as regards the incredible proscription about buying Teslas in Texas. I have jumped through those hoops twice and am about to again. It is inconceivable that the Bought and Paid For Legislature is allowed to take money on one hand from the dealers' association, the petrochemical lobby and whoever else has an axe to grind against EVs, and the amount of money being poured into Texas by Tesla and its associated companies.
As to the city itself, I lived there (about a mile from the factory site) years ago, and the place was growing by leaps and bounds, and traffic was pretty bad then. For a couple of years I commuted to Austin from Dallas and it was getting even more weird, especially downtown. All my old favorite beer joints replaced by whatever it is going on on 6th Street.
And now, between the far left politics, incredible traffic issues and TU in general (the rather large school down there), it's not the place for me.
I had a year or more's grace registering my Model 3s because of the COVID panic. I guess I will see how the current situation goes if my new Model 3 shows up between 15 Oct. and 15 Nov.
Just be glad we're not in PA, MA, or NJ. Those places were nightmares when dealing with their DMVs when I lived up there.

Hahahahaha ... I lived and worked in NYC for awhile and then moved out to NJ for a bit. The NJ DMV is the worst! When in Austin, we live downtown so we don't have the hassle of traffic or a commute. The food in Austin is exceptional. I do also find the mix of downtown with all the biking and walking trails around the city and lake fairly unique and thoroughly enjoy them.

The MYP we took delivery of on Sep 11 is our first Tesla. We are hooked and love the car. Now when I drive any of our other cars I find myself wondering how long before I can replace it with an electric.

I am certainly glad you are enjoying your new friend. Remember, the Collin St. Bakery gives you a free coffee and a cookie when you come by.
As to enjoying my Teslas, I haven't had this much fun with my pants on in years.

Gonna say goodbye to the Original Good Ship Venus this weekend, I have found it a new home. My new one is promised Oct15-Nov 15. Gonna be aloooong wait. But I'll have an excuse to drive my '68 Chevy.

Re NJ DMV - In 1993 I took my 1968 Chevrolet Malibu SS Convertible to the drive through barn on Rt. 22 to get it inspected. NJ residents will know about this. When the kid with the mirror did his thing, he tried to order me out of the car and give him the keys. When I demurred and demanded a Supervisor, all I heard was "I GOT ONE! I GOT ONE!" as he ran off to summon a superior.. The older gent who came out, heard his story that I had removed the catalytic converter, thus altering the exhaust, so he was entitled to the bounty, and I was about to get a rather hefty ticket. I am sure that in his mind he had already spent the bounty.

The old guy smiled at me, gave a smart seamanlike blast of the 9th part of speech to the kid and sent him off. Us two old salts had a laugh, he punched about a dozen holes in the check list, handed me the sticker and told me to shove off. From one old Diesel submariner to another, we had a great laugh.

Getting a Tesla inspected in Texas is almost as much fun. My inspection guy has a Model S. Must be god money in that racket.

• Funny
Reactions: M-S-M
Got my licence plate for my model 3 this morning at a Dallas Tax office. In and out in ~30 minutes. Bring your debit card with sufficient money, or your check book as I was told there will be a big fee is credit card is used.
Btw, I realize later that they keep the title Tesla sent me. Will they DTO send me another title or I should go back and ask for mine?

Got my licence plate for my model 3 this morning at a Dallas Tax office. In and out in ~30 minutes. Bring your debit card with sufficient money, or your check book as I was told there will be a big fee is credit card is used.
Btw, I realize later that they keep the title Tesla sent me. Will they DTO send me another title or I should go back and ask for mine?
If you got a brand new vehicle from Tesla, I believe they sent you a "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin", which was filled out with the pertinent details and duly "signed" by Elon Musk. This is then submitted in with the the Sate Inspection cert, and I think a copy of my insurance card amd ID to the Tax Office with a fair chunk of change, you get your new plates, windshield sticker and receipts. An actual Certificate of Title should arrive in the mail shortly.
For whatever reason, I made color PDFs of all the documents, front and back - Bill of Sale, odometer certificate and all the rest for posterity. Also photos of the car, the VIN tag and the labels on the door jamb.
And a picture of me and The Good Ship Venus and The Blue Bunny, with me grinning like a mule eating briars.
There was a bit of a kerfuffle about why it took me over a year to get this done, but I was armed with the notices from El Gobernador about the amnesty due to the Tax Offices being closed due to the COVID panic. I don't know where she had been for a year, but although I paid for the previous year's fee, there was no penalty. I went to the Grand Prairie office.
I'm waiting for a VIN for The Good Ship Venus II. How long after delivery was the wait for the documents to arrive from Tesla?

If you got a brand new vehicle from Tesla, I believe they sent you a "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin", which was filled out with the pertinent details and duly "signed" by Elon Musk. This is then submitted in with the the Sate Inspection cert, and I think a copy of my insurance card amd ID to the Tax Office with a fair chunk of change, you get your new plates, windshield sticker and receipts. An actual Certificate of Title should arrive in the mail shortly.
For whatever reason, I made color PDFs of all the documents, front and back - Bill of Sale, odometer certificate and all the rest for posterity. Also photos of the car, the VIN tag and the labels on the door jamb.
And a picture of me and The Good Ship Venus and The Blue Bunny, with me grinning like a mule eating briars.
There was a bit of a kerfuffle about why it took me over a year to get this done, but I was armed with the notices from El Gobernador about the amnesty due to the Tax Offices being closed due to the COVID panic. I don't know where she had been for a year, but although I paid for the previous year's fee, there was no penalty. I went to the Grand Prairie office.
I'm waiting for a VIN for The Good Ship Venus II. How long after delivery was the wait for the documents to arrive from Tesla?
Thank you for your reply. Still smiling ear to ear when I put pedal to the metal on freeway, though for only a few seconds :)
Paid on 9/20, car arrived on 10/5. Got paperwork last week. Easiest car shopping ever!