Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Vehicle Title & Registration Waiver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To all of my fellowTexans looking to purchase their Tesla in the coming weeks, as you probably already know, Texas is a self-registering state, so we have to do all of our titling, registration, and paying of sales tax at the county tax offic after we receive our vehicle. If anyone else is behind on this memo just like I was, there is a waiver in place for Texas in which we aren't required to register our vehicles or obtain titles because of the coronavirus. There are some regional offices open depending on your location in which you can still take care of these items. If you choose to take advantage of this titling/registration moratorium, then you'll have 60 days from the public announcement that all services have resumed, to complete everything. I've attached a doc from the TXDMV website for a little further info.
On a side note, since we have to pay for our sales tax after the purchase of our vehicle, I'll appreciate the extra time to save up for the $3000+ that will be waiting for me:)

Attachments

• 07_03_20_Vehicle_Title_and_Registration_Waiver_Media_Advisory.pdf
    573.9 KB · Views: 248
To all of my fellowTexans looking to purchase their Tesla in the coming weeks, as you probably already know, Texas is a self-registering state, so we have to do all of our titling, registration, and paying of sales tax at the county tax offic after we receive our vehicle. If anyone else is behind on this memo just like I was, there is a waiver in place for Texas in which we aren't required to register our vehicles or obtain titles because of the coronavirus. There are some regional offices open depending on your location in which you can still take care of these items. If you choose to take advantage of this titling/registration moratorium, then you'll have 60 days from the public announcement that all services have resumed, to complete everything. I've attached a doc from the TXDMV website for a little further info.
On a side note, since we have to pay for our sales tax after the purchase of our vehicle, I'll appreciate the extra time to save up for the $3000+ that will be waiting for me:)
thank you

If you pay the sales tax before the end of the year, you can take a deduction on your federal income tax. This year, I doubled up on paying my property tax (2019 tax paid in January, 2020 tax paid in November). This can save you a fair amount of federal income tax.

Yeah, that document was released back in March. A lot has changed since. I'm almost sure El Paso has been open for a while too. Anyway, the Tesla guy told me the $80 charge for temporary tags includes TWO, good for 60 days. Is that correct TX guys??? I wasn't happy to pay $80 for a freaking temp tag. Or $75 for a doc fee when I have to register the car myself. But if everybody is paying them, then I'd just swallow that. Ha ha.

Oh man; that's bad news. We only have 20 business days to register the car in TX. Do you know if we're getting a break for that now??? The SA told me I'd have the package in 20 days. Guess that was a lie. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars in penalties because Tesla sent documents late.

Hey TX guys, another question. I'm REALLY uneasy about having to pay 50 grand in advance for weeks. SA told me I wouldn't get my money back if I refuse delivery; only that they'd fix whatever is wrong with the car. And no, not even getting a new one. It's for my wife, but with all the horror stories at delivery time, and with my luck in that regard, I'm thinking of financing instead, and just paying the loan off asap if all goes well. Does anybody know about how much would I lose by doing that? And did any of you feel uneasy about that too? Thanks gang.

I just bought my Model 3 a couple weeks ago and my packet came in the mail yesterday. I was able to make my appointment for next week, but it would be nice to have a clue how much the damage is going be. Any recent registers have an idea on how the cost is calcluated?

I went to Grand Prairie, walked in, took a number, waited about 30 mins, then when I got there realized I had wrong insurance cards. teller put all docs in a packet, told me to come back with card and come straight to her window. Went to FEDEX store and printed proper cards, walked in, waved at the teller, who called me over when current customer finished. 10 mins later I had new tags.
YMMV.
Tip: Go early in the morning, NOT between 1100-1300 when everyone else tries to go during their lunch. Tax people go to lunch, too.

New to the forum.... Does anyone know how to transfer a Specialized plate from your existing car to the Tesla? Texas allows the dealer to do this when you trade in your car, but in Texas, Tesla is not really doing this function since this is now on the buyer. Has anyone removed their Specialized plates from a trade in and transferred them to your new Tesla?

New to the forum.... Does anyone know how to transfer a Specialized plate from your existing car to the Tesla? Texas allows the dealer to do this when you trade in your car, but in Texas, Tesla is not really doing this function since this is now on the buyer. Has anyone removed their Specialized plates from a trade in and transferred them to your new Tesla?
Yes I have taken my plate from my previous 4 cars to my new one, just transfer it at time of registration.

Is this waiver still in effect?

TL:DR -- I've been told that APD is enforcing and that tax offices are imposing both the 30 day and 60 late fees for taxes.

We took delivery of our MYP on Sep 11 and received the FedEx from Tesla 10 days later with the required documents for registration. I tried to get an appointment at the Austin Tax office (impossible all the way through Oct). I then just went to the tax office 30 min before they opened to try to do a walk up or get an appointment by talking in person with someone. That was also a NO. I was told by someone onsite -- incorrectly -- that perhaps I could get the registration through the drive through. I then waited in that line for nearly 2 hours only to find out that the answer was NO.

I asked them at the tax office drive through about enforcement given that there did not seem to be ANY option for me to get registered on time. Their answer was temporary tag extension, but they were also explicit that the 30 day post car delivery late if taxes are not paid will not be waved.

The option I ended up taking is the "Texas Title Girl" service that was included as an option in the Tesla FedEx with the required documents. They pre-charge the 30 day late fee and reimburse it if they are able to complete the registration in time. From what I heard from them, many tax offices are backed up many weeks with registrations.

Wow! Is there only one tax office for Travis County? We've got several to choose from in Dallas County. When I registered mine after they reopened post COVID panic, I was in and out in about an hour.
I believe there are at least a few. We are new to Austin (2019) and spent most of 2020 in our home in another state. I was in town basically to take delivery and get the car registered for Sep. I got the FedEx from Tesla on Sat and had just Mon before our flight on early Tue morning to take care of the tax, fees and registration. There were no appointments at all in any of the Austin tax offices, so I picked the main one as I figured it would give me my best chance. I think in many other counties, there's not much of an issue.

Austin? It was an unbelievable sh*t show.

One thing seems clear from what I was told and have read ... the registration waivers for Texas that some are talking about in the forum -- from what I was told by the tax office -- are no longer in place. Given the 60K registration backlog in Austin, the tax office has indicated that they are going to send a letter to APD about the situation and enforcement, but as of Sep 27 when I was at the tax office that had not yet been done. Also, that likely does nothing for when someone from Austin/Travis County drives their Tesla with expired temporary tags to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.

If I connect my phone to use as the phone key, does that mess up my bluetooth connection with the S?

A. Nope, phone as key is a specific type of bluetooth connection. Additionally, all modern mobile phones allow multiple bluetooth connections, so there is no concern on connecting your phone to the model 3 both as a key, and as a bluetooth streaming device (you have to do both separate btw in case you didnt know)

If I also connect my phone to the Model 3 bluetooth, does that mess up my bluetooth connection with the S?

A. Nope, same answer applies as above. The phones can handle multiple connections.

Before I leave should I sever my Model S bluetooth connection? Then, upon returning, sever my Model 3 connections and reinstate the Model S bluetooth.

A. Not necessary at all. the only "trick" if you will to having two teslas in your tesla app is you have to make sure you have the correct car selected in the app. If you have more than one vehicle, you can swap between them in the app. Sometimes, I read that people with both can get frustrated when they have one selected and want to get into the other one, for example. I only have one.

I know @dmurphy has 2 and might be able to tell you where to swap. vehicles

I believe there are at least a few. We are new to Austin (2019) and spent most of 2020 in our home in another state. I was in town basically to take delivery and get the car registered for Sep. I got the FedEx from Tesla on Sat and had just Mon before our flight on early Tue morning to take care of the tax, fees and registration. There were no appointments at all in any of the Austin tax offices, so I picked the main one as I figured it would give me my best chance. I think in many other counties, there's not much of an issue.

Austin? It was an unbelievable sh*t show.

One thing seems clear from what I was told and have read ... the registration waivers for Texas that some are talking about in the forum -- from what I was told by the tax office -- are no longer in place. Given the 60K registration backlog in Austin, the tax office has indicated that they are going to send a letter to APD about the situation and enforcement, but as of Sep 27 when I was at the tax office that had not yet been done. Also, that likely does nothing for when someone from Austin/Travis County drives their Tesla with expired temporary tags to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.

Your remarks about the People's State of Austin are true. I escaped from there years ago before it got so bad.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Sorry drdumont. I guess I was not clear about Austin. I was referring to the experience at the Austin tax office, not Austin in general. Overall, we have found Austin an absolutely amazing place to live. It has become one of our favorite places in the US, which is why we bought a place there in 2019.

The nonsensical government imposed regulatory requirements in Texas put in place by the governor and the legislature to help their rich donor buddies (car dealerships) that forces needless, burdensome bureaucracy on people wanting to buy Teslas is what I take issue with.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC