Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank goodness for Expel Ultimate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's a new one! The guys at OC Detailing will get a chuckle from that I'm sure. Glad your ok and didn't run off the road. Assume I shouldn't ask about the bird though.

Your situation kind of reminds me of those TV commercials for a certain insurance company where all kinds of weird accidents/disasters have been turned in to the Claims Department. They said they've heard it all...wonder about this one!

• Funny
Reactions: Fiddler
That is an awesome capture by your cam. Hope it didn't do anything serious to the car, and I hope the Peacock is either ok or in a better place. Reminds me that I just had a turkey cross the road in front of me this morning and I was thinking my wife would get a kick out of it if I was able to get a pic.....forgot I had the dashcam! Will check my footage later.

Reactions: dragonxt
Thanks....my first thought after I was done freaking out was "what the hell kind of bird was that!". Then I realized I had the cam....and couldn't wait to get home to find out. I'm pretty sure it survived....but I don't wish to get any confirmation of that via another encounter. The only damage to the car is a very small tear in the Xpel.

Reactions: Fiddler
I will be interested if that tear can "self-heal" or you need to replace that panel. I have heard the self-healing is mainly for small scratches or swirls, but does not work for deeper cuts into XPEL. I am going to be going with the new OptiCoat PPF with a OptiCoat Pro Ceramic coat on top of the PPF (which prevents the swirls).

The tear will not self heal...OC Detailing took a hard look on Monday and could not repair it. However, Joe from OC Detailing said he was disappointed that he couldn't repair it, and offered me a free repair of the entire hood. In addition, he offered to apply my carpool stickers with an additional layer of Xpel so they can be easily removed post 2019. I can't say enough positive things about these guys! Joe is totally OCD about cleaning your car....I saw it in action. If you are in northern California.....this is the place to take your car. He even pointed out items for Tesla to repair that I had not even noticed!

Wow good thing it wasn't a deer. That happened pretty fast and I might have guessed a pheasant since peacocks aren't exactly something that comes to mind in these parts at least. Wonder where it came from. When I was a kid back east some house in our general neighborhood had a large fully enclosed pen (top wired too) for maybe 6-8 peacocks. All the kids use to sneak back there through the woods to see it. Was a kids treasure find as not something readily found around there either and quite exotic. They definitely can fly a bit and had forgotten that fact until seeing your post. Great screen capture in your original post.

Ha I saw that coverage on tv and thought of you. Interestingly enough hubby told me that there are peacocks he sees when he'll drive up Dunne Ave on his way to Henry Coe St. Park. Hopefully he'll never have an encounter like you did. Never thought there were any around here except in zoos or nature parks. Kind of like you never hear about something (or are aware) until it happens to you and then you hear about it all the time afterwards it seems. A bit of online research however turned up the fact that feral peacocks are all over the place here in the SF Bay area and in the L.A. area. So I guess everyone around here should watch out for them!

East Bay locations:
Peacocks make their presence known in Contra Costa neighborhoods – The Mercury News
Peacocks at home in Danville neighborhood – East Bay Times
Peninsula locations:
http://bahiker.com/southbayhikes/picchetti.html

They are even wild in the LA area apparently:
Wild in the Streets: L.A.'s Feral Peacocks
California Town Is Home to Hundreds of Free-Roaming Wild Peacocks

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pinot.Noir