Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank goodness for Tesla dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife was sideswiped in our Model Y on the 101 south of San Francisco yesterday.

The other driver claimed my wife was at fault and that our car swerved into her lane.

Thank goodness for dashcam - because it clearly shows on the right repeater she swerved into our lane and caused the accident!

(It was a little stressful waiting for my wife to get home so we could confirm the video was indeed captured. She didn't want to look in the car - she just wanted to get herself and our daughter back home asap).

glad the family is ok with no major injuries.

the dashcam is a big help.

my cousin was robbed at gunpoint last year in a restaurant parking lot next to tesla.

video caught the whole thing. got their faces and license plate of the other car.

turned the video into the cops and was able to find them at the registered home address.

bunch of kids using their parent's car and still living at home.

They record all the time, but only save the last ten minutes when you hit the horn (if you have that option selected) or the camera icon.
You hope. I find it records and has gaps with no rhyme or reason. A few times I've needed the recording (like when a valet curbed the hell outa my wheel) and nothing. It showed my drive there and part of my drive home.

You hope. I find it records and has gaps with no rhyme or reason. A few times I've needed the recording (like when a valet curbed the hell outa my wheel) and nothing. It showed my drive there and part of my drive home.
Yes, you're quite right - it's not nearly as reliable as we'd like. I suppose I should have said they are supposed to be recording constantly. If it's a software problem rather than hardware, we can at least hope for improvement in the future.