Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thanks for trying to kill me this weekend Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here in Virginia we have "reversible HOV lanes". During certain hours they operate in one direction...then shift directions to enable travel in the opposite direction at a different times - all pre-planned and scheduled.

So over the weekend, Saturday night, was traveling southbound on I-95 on autopilot, when the HOV lane in DC was "northbound". All posted signs indicated this as such with barriers down and lights flashing preventing southbound traffic from entering the HOV counter to the northbound traffic. My car was configured to use HOV lanes:

So here's the story in the hope that others don't fall into the same mistake: Traveling southbound on autopilot in the left lane, with both hands on the wheel, autopilot tried to enter the reversible HOV lanes in the wrong direction without prompting me for a blinker to change lanes, or alerting me to an upcoming lane change. The first time it totally caught me off guard and I didn't comprehend what was happening and just thought AP saw something or acting wierdly so I just stayed in my lane by taking control. A few miles down the road, it tried the same thing, no notification of upcoming lane change, no alert to accept lane change by signalling, it just went left and tried to enter into oncoming traffic, that's when I realized it was intentionally trying to enter the HOV lane in the wrong direction. I let it go one more time to validate warnings, alerts or anything....and the results surprised me - no alerts no warnings no nothing, it just decided to enter the HOV lane without seeking concurrence from me. So obviously, experiment complete, I turned off HOV lanes and it never did it again.

So beware when selecting to use HOV lanes in the menu, it does not have associated logic for reversible HOV lanes. I'm thinking this could be easily done by a user interface or server communication.
Bad on me for forgetting....so be advised don't forget. And don't fall asleep and let HAL 2000 drive like has been shown on the internet endlessly, cause it would have taken the car through the barriers and gone into oncoming traffic....

DZM

Plain Ole AP.

Dzm

Then the car wasn’t intentionally changing into the reversed carpool lane but just failing (badly) at staying in your lane.
I’ve had AP dive out of my lane for no apparent reason but it seems to be while crossing intersections with interrupted lane markings.
Is there something like that along your HOV lane?
Either way no excuse and confirmation that you must watch over AP.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Plain Ole AP.

Dzm

Ah, yes, AP wasn't changing lanes, that is the unfortunate behavior it has towards some barriers and gore points. The fellow with the X in Mountain View was the most infamous case as he died when AP steered him into a barrier.

It is too bad the issue hasn't been corrected yet.

FYI: the HOV lane setting may not fix this.

Last edited:
Similarly, while on 95 and driving with Navigate on AP engaged, my MX attempted to move into a "contested" HOV lane. Noticing that the gates were closed, I promptly canceled AP thus terminating the upcoming lane change. As the OP suggested, this could have ended badly for those who do not heed Tesla's admonition to always pay FULL attention while on AP. This cautionary tale serves as a necessary reminder that FSD features are still in beta release.

dzm finally got your T? Did your low balls on this site or other finally pay off?
I'm just messing with you.

you are probably in the lane closet (left?) to the Hov right?
Like others said probably following the line but good you for experimenting and selecting HOV off

Proper title would be HOV and autopilot warning

Similarly, while on 95 and driving with Navigate on AP engaged, my MX attempted to move into a "contested" HOV lane. Noticing that the gates were closed, I promptly canceled AP thus terminating the upcoming lane change. As the OP suggested, this could have ended badly for those who do not heed Tesla's admonition to always pay FULL attention while on AP. This cautionary tale serves as a necessary reminder that FSD features are still in beta release.

Spot on, once HOV lane was off it never again tried to go left into the HOV lanes even though I passed about 6 more (dispells that it was due to lane markings IMO). Curious if there are other similar experiences like this, and yes I was offering a cautionary tale.

Dzm

it never again tried to go left into the HOV lanes even though I passed about 6 more (dispells that it was due to lane markings IMO)

Maybe. Or maybe it's just luck. As others have pointed out, AP without NOA doesn't make lane changes. (Except maybe for passing traffic? I'm not sure about that.)

At any rate, be aware that the manual seems to be pretty clear that the HOV setting only applies to NOA.

Note: The way Navigate on Autopilot determines navigation routes and maneuvers at freeway interchanges can be impacted by whether or not the navigation system is set up to use High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes. Therefore, ensure the Use HOV Lanes setting is appropriate for your circumstances (see Maps and Navigation on page 108). If the setting is off, Navigate on Autopilot never uses an HOV lane, regardless of time of day. If the setting is on, Navigate on Autopilot will always include the use of the HOV lane, whenever it exists.

dzm finally got your T? Did your low balls on this site or other finally pay off?
I'm just messing with you.

you are probably in the lane closet (left?) to the Hov right?
Like others said probably following the line but good you for experimenting and selecting HOV off

Proper title would be HOV and autopilot warning

Yup I remember. Wife got her S. Loves it...never wants another car of a different brand ever again - Yeah right we'll see about that.

For me I decided X doesn't fit lifestyle/needs so have a reservation on a Rivian.

Dzm