Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The best part is no part? Tesla taking the next step to eliminate the other 50% of the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NHTSA seems to have shot down Tesla's request to allow manual control of the vehicle via a touchscreen in their latest rule making regarding automated driving systems. I'd be curious to see how well such a system would work... I'm skeptical!
NHTSA does not agree with Tesla that it is necessary at this time that the definition for manually operated driving controls account for the use of tablets or cell phones to control the vehicle. The new definition is meant to encompass traditional driving controls, not future controls that have not yet been developed.

May be Tesla wanted it for things like Summon ?
Ah. That would make more sense. They also asked about whether remote operation would be considered "manually operated driving controls."
Tesla sought clarity on whether remote operation fell into the definition of “manually operated driving controls.” In response, under the definition of “manually operated driving controls,” it specifies that such controls are positioned such that they can be “used by an occupant” (emphasis added). Accordingly, the definition of “manually operated driving controls” excludes remote operation controls.
There was that story about the Model Y originally being planned to ship without a steering wheel though... :p

I saw a picture of a guy standing next to a Rivian truck on a trail and he was holding what looked like a tethered remote. I don't think that's what it actually was, but wouldn't that be an amazing feature of an off-road EV?

I saw a picture of a guy standing next to a Rivian truck on a trail and he was holding what looked like a tethered remote. I don't think that's what it actually was, but wouldn't that be an amazing feature of an off-road EV?
Are you sure it wasn't a winch control? Though those are often wireless these days.
I could see remote control being useful when combined with crawl control though it seems like it would take a lot of the fun out of it. Too easy. haha.

Are you sure it wasn't a winch control? Though those are often wireless these days.
I could see remote control being useful when combined with crawl control though it seems like it would take a lot of the fun out of it. Too easy. haha.

That was my first thought. But it looked like the wire was going to the back of the truck. I think it was something completely unrelated, like maybe just a tie down rope he happened to be walking with. But it did spark the idea for me.

Though I suppose most people actually want to be in the vehicle while doing the crawling. That seems to be the point ;)