Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The competition is coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lexus is expensive, but Toyota made a lot of money from people loving Lexus.

If/when they bring the RX plugin to the US, that will fly off their shelf.
I owned a 1996 and 2006 Lexus LS over a 10 year period. Lexus was making top notch luxury sedans during those years. I still miss my 06. But they lost me as a customer with their new direction and now I love my 2015 Model S.

There is zero competition now or ever, until they get their nationwide reliable fast charging network. Until then, there is only two choices 1) Tesla or 2)buy an EV for a commuter car only.
Pat
Either EV adoption will plateau and legacy automakers will continue to rely on ICE/HEVs profits
OR adoption will continue along the S curve and legacy automakers will be forced to play, and the non-Tesla fast charging network(s) will come. I wouldn't bet on the former, but we will see.

Most people don’t venture far outside of their metro area. Maybe once or twice a year to visit relatives on holidays.

While a reliable nationwide DCFC network is certainly important to have especially for people that live in smaller cities or rural areas, it’s not of something most EV drivers currently use on a day to day basis.
Day to day or ever? I think most EV drivers do not want a "road trip never" kind of vehicle. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts. I commute 95% of the time too and charge at home, but I like to take vacations where I drive many miles away from time to time.

Reactions: gtae07
Day to day or ever? I think most EV drivers do not want a "road trip never" kind of vehicle. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts. I commute 95% of the time too and charge at home, but I like to take vacations where I drive many miles away from time to time.
CCS cars are not “road trip never”. The less often someone road trips their EV, the more willing someone might be to deal with the fast charge deficiencies of a non Tesla.

If you frequently travel far away and need to fast charge often then unquestionably Tesla Supercharging will give you the most easy and reliable experience.

If you need to fast charge once every year or two only then someone would be more willing to deal with the less convenient CCS charging network vs compromising on other aspects and features of the car for the >95% of the time it’s used day to day.